PDA

View Full Version : How to remove paint on steering wheel

k12354
05-01-2013, 05:38 PM
The body shop left a small spot of paint on my steering wheel the first time I picked up the car. I took it back to have them fix a few other things as well and they got it off. The other day I noticed another small spot of paint on the steering wheel. Yes, I am talking about exterior body paint on the interior of the car. Scary!

Anyway, I do not trust this body shop to fix their screw-ups anymore. Every minute they have my car is another opportunity for them to mess something up.

What do you guys recommend for getting the paint off? My car is a 2013 Kia Optima SX with synthetic leather wrapped steering wheel. I want to get the paint off without damaging the "pleather." Any suggestions?

Andr3wilson
05-01-2013, 05:41 PM
Try M600 solvent. That stuff is safe on real leather, but good at cleaning. You could try and eraser pad, but make sure it doesn't scuff first. My bet is on the eraser pad. Paint thinner may stain it.

Im surprised to hear this. Plastic wheel covers are like $1.50 for 100

k12354
05-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Im surprised to hear this. Plastic wheel covers are like $1.50 for 100

Hence my reluctance to take my car back to them for any reason. They put plastic over the driver's seat and floor mats, but not the steering wheel apparently.

Thanks for the tips.

chef
05-01-2013, 05:59 PM
I just read online that some have used a clay bar. Is it a light mist of overspray or worse? If it's thick enough, maybe try a plastic razor blade and be VERY careful chipping it off. Follow with leather cleaner/conditioner.

k12354
05-01-2013, 06:35 PM
I just read online that some have used a clay bar. Is it a light mist of overspray or worse? If it's thick enough, maybe try a plastic razor blade and be VERY careful chipping it off. Follow with leather cleaner/conditioner.

It isn't overspray. It doesn't look like they painted with the door open or anything like that. Most likely a shop employee had paint on his hand, didn't wipe his hands clean, didn't put plastic covering on my steering wheel, and moved my car.

I didn't even think to try clay. Would clay be safe on synthetic leather? I have griot's paint clay, which I understand is not very aggressive. Would ONR diluted to clay lube or QD be safe to remove any clay residue from the steering wheel?

Pureshine
05-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Do you have pics so we can see it?

chef
05-01-2013, 07:02 PM
It isn't overspray. It doesn't look like they painted with the door open or anything like that. Most likely a shop employee had paint on his hand, didn't wipe his hands clean, didn't put plastic covering on my steering wheel, and moved my car.

I didn't even think to try clay. Would clay be safe on synthetic leather? I have griot's paint clay, which I understand is not very aggressive. Would ONR diluted to clay lube or QD be safe to remove any clay residue from the steering wheel?
I would think so. Less agressive than paint thinner anyway. Maybe break off a small piece of clay and use interior cleaner or leather cleaner as the lube.

k12354
05-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Do you have pics so we can see it?

I'll take some tonight.

k12354
05-01-2013, 07:06 PM
I would think so. Less agressive than paint thinner anyway. Maybe break off a small piece of clay and use interior cleaner or leather cleaner as the lube.

Maybe I'll give that a whirl. Thanks!

k12354
05-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Here is a photo. There is a larger (although still quite small) spot of paint near the top of the photo on the steering wheel and two smaller streaks of paint on both sides of the stitching. I ran my finger over the paint spots and they are not perceptible to the touch.

I'm thinking the shop employee either didn't wear gloves while handling paint or he did wear gloves and didn't remove them prior to getting in my car. Either way, this is sloppy.

chef
05-03-2013, 06:58 PM
If you decide to use the clay bar technique, let us know how it works out. The good thing is that it's not perforated leather, so no chemicals will soak in.

k12354
05-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Clay did the trick! I pulled a small piece from the bar, soaked it in clay lube (diluted ONR), and gently rubbed the paint off the steering wheel. I went over the affected area with 303 Aerospace on a MF towel to get any of the ONR residue off the steering wheel, preventing any stains.

The paint is all gone. The two imperfections on either side of the stitching didn't come off. Upon closer inspection, it's not paint, but small rips or cracks in the fake leather. I inspected the rest of the steering wheel and there are more on the other side of the wheel.

Before

After

Pureshine
05-04-2013, 05:38 PM
Looks good :)