PDA

View Full Version : Redundant brands? - DG, Collinite, others.

Pages : [1] 2

nubaseal
05-01-2013, 12:02 PM
DG 105 used to be my favorite sealant and we all used to swear by Collinite waxes. However, for the last year or so I have only been using brands like Gtechniq, Carpro and other newcomers. Their spray sealants, coatings and nano stuff seems to be technologically way ahead of old timers like DG, Collinite etc.

I have a lot of this stuff lying around but I don't know what to do with it. Stuff like Carpro Reload or Gtechniq C2V3 is so much easier to use and more durable.

How does everybody around here feel about older brands and waxes. Do you still use waxes knowing there are better products out there. Other thing with waxes is they can't be used with products like Reload, C1 or C2.

nubaseal
05-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Bump

CWallace
05-01-2013, 10:24 PM
Send it to me..... I still like 501, 105 and 845! Like Mike says, find something you like and use it often!!!!

bl3ujay07
05-01-2013, 11:32 PM
i use 845 on everyone's car that i work with simply because it lasts a long time and is very inexpensive. I am at a little over a year of having my 845 bottle and most likely wont be using it all up anytime soon. (So far) it has worked great after cleaning up headlights. Goes on rims etc.

I will put your technologically "outdated" supplies to great use!

PiPUK
05-02-2013, 12:38 AM
Just beware of your judgements - if based on experience, great, but don't take the marketing information too much to heart. The reality is that the same polymers and advanced silicones have been in many products for many years and the biggest change is that newcomers have entered the market with their primary focus being marketing. Of course that does not always apply and some new products are indeed superb... but a lot really are no better than products from 5 or 10 years ago but the suppliers have something of an interest in convincing you otherwise.

szjalo
05-02-2013, 04:44 PM
I am interested in seeing how far this thread will go. I am personally a huge fan of collinite and DG. a little sad to see people talk lesser and lesser about these old brands.

KillaCam
05-02-2013, 05:02 PM
I love DG products and Collinite too. Nothing like using an old school paste wax, or layering sealants.

I haven't tried any coatings yet and don't plan on using them, for my car at least.

swanicyouth
05-02-2013, 05:56 PM
I've given this a lot of thought. I'm still using "conventional" products, except OptiCoat on wheels. I've decided to stay that way, because it seems to me there is no real way to tell when / if the coating wears off or fails. Many soaps and QD bead on paint.

I went through all the prep and OptiCoated one of my vehicles. For whatever reason, the coating failed in 6 mos. I was spray waxing it so it was beading. I don't really know the exact point it failed. One day I chemically stripped the hood and all the beading was gone.

I spent a lot of time prepping for the OC and I was frustrated as hell it didn't last. I'm not saying the coating is bad, I'm just saying it didn't last for an unknown reason for me.

To me, beading is the main way to tell if a coating is on the paint. So, if I wanted to try it again, so, I would have to stop using any shampoo, waterless/ rinseless wash, or quick detailer that could cause beading to "keep an eye" on the coating. If not, how do you really know if the coating is still there?

Unless you use all the coating manufacturer's soap and waterless / rinseless wash products, who knows if something your going to use on your paint will affect or degrade the coating?
Who knows if the coating is beading, or something else is?

I think it good to go over your paint every 6 months or so with a paint cleaner, clay, or a light polish. This may remove the coating - again, who knows? To. Many variables and unknowns for me

FUNX650
05-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Your definition of redundant, in this case, must be slightly different than mine.
It must be similar to my definition of anachronistic.

Anyway...
I’d be glad to have all of your car-care products that you consider: "de trop"...
Put on a FedEx truck (gratis)…And to my residence's front door: Thus show.

Bob

silverfox
05-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Best bang for your buck never ever gets old so DG and Collinite will always be favorites despite the new technologies.

Anthony@zerboautoworks
05-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Best bang for your buck never ever gets old so DG and Collinite will always be favorites despite the new technologies.

+1 totally agree

luv a shine
05-02-2013, 09:02 PM
If a customer saw me wax his car with reload. I would never see that customer again. The market is just not there.

cardaddy
05-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Well, I'll surely take whatever extras you have off your hands. ;) Just box um' up and I'll have UPS / FedEx drop by and grab um' and I promise I'll provide a good home. :)

I think what we (as hobbyists) like/want/think about products is vastly different than the bulk of the populous. :dunno: For most, just having something that *works* is more than enough. Finding something new, something that goes to the nth degree to change 'this' or 'that' really isn't what John Q Public is after.

What has happened in the last couple of years is the leap towards cross linking polymers and the ability to have that happen without the product turning to stone (or goo) inside the bottle. Remember "polycharger" and how much press it got around here a few years ago? Now you can't even find the COMPANY anymore. (The website doesn't even exist!) Although the product can still be found, and the results speak for themselves. Just that people have moved on and are purchasing 'boutique' products that are already polycharged.

Yet speaking of redundant... there are certainly a plethora of house brands in any given place that surely seem to cross over from one to another. Bottles and pricing not withstanding, you'd have to admit there are a ton of similarities from one to another these days. But then again... it was like that in the 'old' days. ;)

Like I said, just send um' to me and I'll be good to them. Besides, I'd love to play around with some of your unwanted DG stuff, maybe even polycharge some of it. :props:

Larry A
05-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Ill also would like to have all your discarted DG and Collinite. In my opinion taking everthing in consideration, cost, easy to get, and easy to use , these products are the best.

Johny B
05-03-2013, 09:36 PM

+1