PDA

View Full Version : Should I Avoid a Job?

Pages : [1] 2 3

garyg7133
05-01-2013, 06:41 AM
Now that the warmer weather has finally arrived and business is picking up, I've been pretty busy and have been getting very nice results overall. I received a call yesterday for an interior/exterior and I am wondering if I should pass on the job. This would be a first for me, but it sounds like trouble in the making. I usually charge a flat rate for exterior based on the size of the car and each additional service. I explained this to the customer and they were impressed because they figured they'd be paying more based on the brand of car. When they mentioned the interior, I told them I have a base price for interiors but I would like to see it before giving a price. Customer then said the magic words "well, the interior is in rough shape. We have a doberman and there's hair everywhere" I then began asking questions about the car and I am thinking that she's expecting magic that is not going to happen. I am certainly going to take a look at it (I've scheduled an appointment for saturday) but this just sounds like trouble waiting to happen. Have any of you simply said no to a job upon taking a look? How did you / customer handle it?

BobbyG
05-01-2013, 06:49 AM
Wait until you see the car in person
Determine if the dog hair is the major issue
Agree on the level of thoroughness
Charge by the hour for unusual situations
Try a couple of methods to see what works best
Make your decision

Kevin Cullen
05-01-2013, 06:51 AM
Once you look at the car explain what you will do to the paint for the rate you quoted. If she wants more than it will cost more. She already thinks it may be more than you said anyway. If the paint is in bad shape you cant do a full correction for peanuts.

As for the interior i charge extra for extra dirty. If there is dog hair and stains everywhere than you need to charge for your time. Chances are she will pay for the interior done right and the exterior done so so.

vet
05-01-2013, 07:25 AM
Good advice from Bobby and Kevin. If everything is explained, the cost and results (expectations) agreed upon, you should be OK. After meeting the person and seeing the vehicle, if you have bad vibes, just say no.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

garyg7133
05-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the replies. The exterior sounds like it's not bad. The customer painted a picture that essentially says the interiot is in really bad shape. I am going to evaluate and discuss options with her for sure. Perhaps even do a test area to show what the end result would look like. .... I will certainly let you know what happens.

scrubs147
05-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the replies. The exterior sounds like it's not bad. The customer painted a picture that essentially says the interiot is in really bad shape. I am going to evaluate and discuss options with her for sure. Perhaps even do a test area to show what the end result would look like. .... I will certainly let you know what happens.

With the right tools you should be OK. Get there early and have patience.

jimjc
05-01-2013, 09:16 AM
OP I`m no detailer but I`ve owned a couple businesses and I say I never turned any business, especially in this market, as long as I`d get paid for my work. If hair is the main problem, it`s really no problem. We have 3 dogs and 2 that shed all the time. I have found removing hair easy I put the car outside and open all the doors roll down the windows and I get my powerful Toro leaf blower and anything left on the carpet is vacuumed all done in about 10/15 min. Dog stains are handled with many good dog products. I`m not trying to tell you what to do at all but it may not be as bad as you think.

garyg7133
05-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Patience I have for sure. Just worried that this will turn into "sometimes the bear eats YOU" . Appointment for estimate isn't until saturday. I'm going to bring most of my stuff ot work with me and go straight there and evaluate it. If I feel I can get a result that is mutually agreeable then that's fine. Unfortunately I can't gauge the customer's expectations until I have both customer and vehicle in front of me.

DaVinciAutoSpa
05-01-2013, 09:48 AM
I'd concur with Bobby and Kevin.

Question, how long have you been detailing? Have you performed a lot of interior jobs where pet hair was an issue? Just curious.

I don't think I'd go in with the thought of turning it down. It sounds like you know what to do in your last post.

Try different things, see what works. Be honest with the client. Under-promise, over-deliver. Good luck.

Bill1234
05-01-2013, 09:55 AM
I did an interior with dog hair, I used one of those pet brushes and a shop vaccum to make the hair star to detach from the carpet

garyg7133
05-01-2013, 09:59 AM
I'd concur with Bobby and Kevin.

Question, how long have you been detailing? Have you performed a lot of interior jobs where pet hair was an issue? Just curious.

I don't think I'd go in with the thought of turning it down. It sounds like you know what to do in your last post.

Try different things, see what works. Be honest with the client. Under-promise, over-deliver. Good luck.

I've been "officially" in business for 2 years but have been doing cars for friends and family since 2001. I have done a handful of "pet" interiors and have not had too many hiccups. Sure, a stubborn stain here and there, but nothing that would prevent me from doing it again. I think it's just the "vibe" that I'm getting from the customer on this one that is causing me to think twice.

Kevin Cullen
05-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Dont read too much into it. See the car first. Her level of gross could be less than your level. You may look at it and say " Hey thats not too bad". You cant get good at pet hair until à person does ALOT. May have to chalk an hour or two up to experience. All good if she tells people about your great services.

AutowerxDetailing
05-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Don't turn it down, just charge accordingly. I love wrecked interiors. Just means the turn-around will be that much more epic. I did a barf cleanup job just the other day. CG Fabric Clean, steamer, extractor, APC+ for the plastics, CarPro So2Pure coating on everything. It didn't even take longer than normal. I even washed the outside for free since the interior got done so quickly. The customer was thrilled. I say go for the gusto and win a customer for life. :dblthumb2:

cardaddy
05-02-2013, 12:00 AM
Unless the Doberman has been throwing up, it really shouldn't be a big problem. The great benefit is they are short haired dogs. (As my 77 pound 'girl' Karma lays at my feet.) :D

Short fairly coarse hair that cleans up much easier than poodle hair, or God forbid German Shepherds! :eek: jmho of course.... being a 'doby' lover. ;)

statusdetailing
05-02-2013, 01:27 AM
I've never turned a job down, but I'll admit, I've discouraged them with the price. When I see something horrible I usually quote them a price by the hour. I charge 30 per hour. Bad pet hair vehicles can literally take 6 to 8 hours for the interior alone so you'd be looking at $180 to $240. I do broken glass clean up for a local body shop every once in a while. I charge in that same range and they don't mind. Glass and pet hair are equally difficult to remove.

I've also ran into a couple vehicles over the past couple years, where I could not remove all the pet hair. Much of the hair was just too deeply embedded in the carpet and would have to be removed piece by piece with tweezers. I usually just get them to an acceptable condition and the owners are always happy.

Just be realistic with them. Never over promise.