PDA

View Full Version : 3m Paint Defender System

Pages : [1] 2

atoy
05-01-2013, 04:56 AM
New 3M Paint Defender System Offers Invisible Paint Protection in Easy-to-Use Spray | 3M Newsroom | United States (http://news.3m.com/press-release/company/new-3m-paint-defender-system-offers-invisible-paint-protection-easy-use-spray)

Anyone heard about this?

Setec Astronomy
05-01-2013, 05:39 AM
Holy crap--spray-on clear bra!

rwisejr
05-01-2013, 05:59 AM
That should be a winner depending on durablity

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
05-01-2013, 07:47 AM
This would be a winner for extended driving periods such as vacations.

Setec Astronomy
05-01-2013, 07:48 AM
This would be a winner for extended driving periods such as vacations.

Yeah, but if you watch the video there's a lot of prep to do just for a vacation; it looks like you're prepping the car for paint, with the whole car masked except the spray area.

jimjc
05-01-2013, 07:53 AM
It sounds fantastic but no detail on how the shield is removed, or how long it lasts.

I`d like to know if it changes the color at all. Some High Def. pictures would be in order. I know they say it`s invisible but.

At $44 3M will sell oceans of the stuff, if it works like described and it`s foolproof to install. I`m in if they can answer my questions, it`s a no brainier.

EDIT. I Just watched videos on this product pretty straight forward and looks great, now for some guinea pigs to try it first. HAHA I hate to be the first to try anything but this sure seems to be straight forward and it looks to be easier than film to install or as costly as a body shop.

rwisejr
05-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Looks like it last about a year and removal is just peel off . I ordered some to give it a try.

jimjc
05-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Looks like it last about a year and removal is just peel off . I ordered some to give it a try.

That`s fantastic, make sure you let us know how it works out. If you have a black car like your picture it wiil be a good test. Black heats up in the sun.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
05-01-2013, 08:44 AM
Yeah, but if you watch the video there's a lot of prep to do just for a vacation; it looks like you're prepping the car for paint, with the whole car masked except the spray area.

Didnt see the video.

Then it might be more trouble than its worth. At this point might as well just Opti Coat it.

Setec Astronomy
05-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Didnt see the video.

Then it might be more trouble than its worth. At this point might as well just Opti Coat it.

Did you see the vid now? It's really like a spray-on PPF, so it's going to protect better than Opti-Coat, but it's going to take more work to "install" it, and the claimed life is 1 year.

FUNX650
05-01-2013, 09:59 AM
Although this 3M product has different, and so little of "prep" requirements...
it seems similar to a "Dominion Sure Seal" product that AGO forum member:
jaymz had applied to his 2002 SVT Lightning.

Some doodlin' on my part:
Cost(s) of 3M Paint Defender (with a one year warranty) vs.
one of my vehicle's total amount of XPel PPF (with a seven year warranty):

-One Paint Defender System Kit @.........$ 45.00...Plus:
-Seven additional can of Spray Film @...$175.00...Plus:
-Six (ea.) years of re-application @........$220.00...Equals: ~$1540.00

XPel's initial cost @...~$1400.

-I'd say it's a wash...as far as the costs go...for me.

-Seems like a good DIY'er for those that are hesitant
having the "regular-PPF" installed, though.

:)

Bob

RaskyR1
05-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Although this 3M product has different, and so little of "prep" requirements...
it seems similar to a "Dominion Sure Seal" product that AGO forum member:
jaymz had applied to his 2002 SVT Lightning.

Some doodlin' on my part:
Cost(s) of 3M Paint Defender (with a one year warranty) vs.
one of my vehicle's total amount of XPel PPF (with a seven year warranty):

-One Paint Defender System Kit @.........$ 45.00...Plus:
-Seven additional can of Spray Film @...$175.00...Plus:
-Six (ea.) years of re-application @........$220.00...Equals: ~$1540.00

XPel's initial cost @...~$1400.

-I'd say it's a wash...as far as the costs go...for me.

-Seems like a good DIY'er for those that are hesitant
having the "regular-PPF" installed, though.

Bob

My issue with PPF is that even though they have long warranties, they don't cover "pitting" of the film, which can happen rather quickly with lots of highway traveling.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/2009%20A5/20110828-_MG_5277.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/2009%20A5/20110828-_MG_5281.jpg

I like the idea of this stuff and ordered it yesterday to try on my wife's new car. ;)

FUNX650
05-01-2013, 11:41 AM
My issue with PPF is that even though they have long warranties,
they don't cover "pitting" of the film, which can happen rather quickly with lots of highway traveling.

XPel's Utimate (self-healing) PPF is supposed to address this type of issue, as well as other PPF blemishes.

I thought you were quite interested in this particular XPel PPF? :dunno:

Bob

RaskyR1
05-01-2013, 11:47 AM
XPel's Utimate (self-healing) PPF is supposed to address this type of issue, as well as other PPF blemishes.

I thought you were quite interested in this particular XPel PPF? :dunno:

Bob

I was/am, but I'm not "sure" if it actually addresses the highway pitting seen in the pics above...

I've been hearing that the self healing isn't all the great from a few installers, but it sure looked impressive when I saw it in person at SEMA. I'll be spending some time at a few PPF booths this year and it's a question I will definitely be asking. ;)

Gurge
05-01-2013, 12:58 PM
hmmm... this is very interesting. I may have to give this a shot on a test vehicle

anyone who has purchased already please post a review