PDA

View Full Version : Those of you with bad backs, do you have a preferred DA?

Pages : [1] 2

SR99
04-30-2013, 11:09 PM
I wondered if those of you with bad backs (and that have tried several DA's) have a preferred machine that seems to minimize back aches?

The PC and the GG definitely leave me aching, but maybe machine polishing is just inherently hard on the back and a different machine wouldn't help.

theparmachine
04-30-2013, 11:28 PM
I don't have a bad back but from what I read the rupes is supposed to be the most effortless.

parkerslade
05-01-2013, 12:04 AM
A better machine may not be able to save you from back pain, it might just be the angles of your spine and muscles aiding in disaster.

Try and focus on how your body is positioned while you'e polishing. My wife is a massage therapist, and always gives me the same advice: "always stack the joints", and "never curl forward". I'm notorious for back pain after long days of correction and it's usually because i've gotten lost in the paint and ignored my posture during the process.

Hope this can help!

ihaveacamaro
05-01-2013, 12:05 AM
I know 68bowtie has repeatedly said that the Rupes was the best thing for his bad back.

Lim3
05-01-2013, 12:31 AM
I used my flex for 13 hrs this past details and my back wasn't hurting nearly as much as it did with the PC.
I was standing longer while using it

Theo_Auto_Fines
05-01-2013, 12:52 AM
I always hear good things about the Rupes Bigfoot and IMHO since I tried it for 4 hours I honestly prefer my 3401 anyday. All these raves about the big throw is not really all that impressive. Now as far as the machine that I prefer since I have a bad back well I would say that the machine that gets the job done faster so I dont have to hunch for too long when Im working on the hood/roof/trunk.

oldmodman
05-01-2013, 02:38 AM
After my back surgery it didn't matter what polisher I used.

What made it possible to do any kind of car work again was getting a four post lift.

That way everything is directly in front of me.

For the roof and hood I used a platform to stand on.

For polishers I have PC, Flex, Makita rotary, Flex rotary, a 3 inch, and a Cyclo. They all have their pluses and minuses. I make sure I take a break whenever I start to hurt or get stiff.

FUNX650
05-01-2013, 08:35 AM
Here lately if it's anything more than WW/QD'ing sessions (such as running a polisher/buffer)...
I have "The Good Wife" do it. It's mostly her fault I have a bad back anyway!!

Question:
Has the Doctor that diagnosed you having a bad back, ever have you going through any physical therapy?
If not there are plenty of:
"Stretching for Strength and Flexibility" exercises that are a Godsend, if you're able to perform them.
Consult with your physician.

My biggest fault is not doing these stretching-exercises daily.
And not taking enough breaks.

:)

Bob

SR99
05-01-2013, 08:54 AM
A better machine may not be able to save you from back pain, it might just be the angles of your spine and muscles aiding in disaster.

I'm sure there's something to that. However, I'm not sure how it's possible to use a machine polisher on a vehicle without curling forward and stretching into unnatural angles, especially when doing the hood and roof, and in some cases the trunk/rear area.

Even so, there are probably good ways and bad ways to handle those situations, assuming you can't meet the ideal. And for the lower parts like side panels, is it better to kneel, squat, sit on the ground, or sit on a low chair with wheels?

I wonder if AG could bring in someone like your wife and do a video which coaches someone on good vs bad body position while polishing the various sections of a typical car? Nick/Mike, would that be possible and useful from your perspective? Would others find this useful?

Even the younger guys that don't currently feel much back pain aren't doing their backs any favors, especially the ones that do this full time. For most people it will catch up to you eventually. At least, that's what all the statistics say.

runrun411
05-01-2013, 08:58 AM
Yeah, detailing sometimes kill my back and I don't even have real back problems. Sometimes it helps to 'one hand' the DA. What I do is lightly support myself with one hand on the car and use my other hand to work the DA. I think the PC is good for that since you can hold it with one hand. I'm not so sure about the flex though.

BTW: Keep pain pills handy.

scrubs147
05-01-2013, 09:06 AM
I use the "IB Pro-fene" series.

runrun411
05-01-2013, 09:10 AM
I use the "IB Pro-fene" series.

Very funny, very true. :xyxthumbs:

RedXray
05-01-2013, 09:27 AM
And for the lower parts like side panels, is it better to kneel, squat, sit on the ground, or sit on a low chair with wheels?

I do all the above except the chair/stool with wheels. When I push against the panel the wheeled chairs roll me away from the panel (RAK transfemoral amputee like Mike). I do use a stationary chair sometimes. When doing vertical panels I found if I limit the right - left - right stroke on small areas like above the wheel openings and not pivoting my torso much, my back doesn't give me any trouble. It's the twisting back and forth that gets to my back.

dorkiedoode
05-01-2013, 10:01 AM
I know this sound girly but Yoga has help a ton. I'm pretty fit and from that I stretch a lot so it helps.

Lim3
05-01-2013, 02:20 PM
I know this sound girly but Yoga has help a ton. I'm pretty fit and from that I stretch a lot so it helps.

You know a lot of people think yoga is wimpy. But man it really works and helps stamina. I did the p90x workout and I hated the yoga out of the whole workout regimen.