PDA

View Full Version : First Deatail with PC Wow am I Happy

Pages : [1] 2

JoeD
05-27-2006, 07:10 PM
:) Hi all I got my Edge 2000 Porter Cabel complete Kit HD yesterday. My wife thought I was crazy until I detailed her 2000 VW Bug. Boy is she happy and so am I with the results. The photos don't do the car any justice and it was an overcast day so you really can't see the great shine. Plus it is a very light blue in color. I can't wait to detail my New Black Azera when it arrives, going on 13 weeks now.This is the best investment I have made in a long time. Products and Process used thanks to all of you here.

Wash
Clay
Vanilla Moose with PC Orange Pad
Clearkote Wax White Pad
Clearkote Quick Shine
Detailed Wheels
End of Story!

I love this forum and without the help and advise from you all I don't think I would have gotten these results.

Thanks to All,
JoeD

DS Detailer
05-27-2006, 07:35 PM
:) Hi all I got my Edge 2000 Porter Cabel complete Kit HD yesterday. My wife thought I was crazy until I detailed her 2000 VW Bug. Boy is she happy and so am I with the results. The photos don't do the car any justice and it was an overcast day so you really can't see the great shine. Plus is a very light blue in color. I can't wait to detail my New Black Azera when it arrives, going on 13 weeks now.This is the best investment I have made in a long time. Products and Process used thanks to all of you here.

Wash
Clay
Vanilla Moose with PC Orange Pad
Clearkote Wax White Pad
Clearkote Quick Shine
Detailed Wheels
End of Story!

I love this forum and without the help and advise from you all I don't think I would have gotten these results.

Thanks to All,
JoeD

Hey Joe... how are you.

I'm a little confused at your process,

Did you use Vanilla Moose finishing glaze with an orange pad? And the wax, was put on with a white pad?

Normally the orange pad is reserved for compouding and polishes, it's slightly too abrasive too properly apply finishing glaze... Applying the wax with a white pad is also slightly abrasive, and would result in you removing the glaze you just put down.

You'd normally apply Wax with a grey or blue finishing pad. Just something to keep in mind.

JoeD
05-27-2006, 07:45 PM
Well as you can see I am still learning. I used the Orange Pad to remove some heavy scratches and blemishes. It seemed to work. Maybe I could have used a more aggressive cleaner. I checked the color code on the pads and the White, as stated, is for applying Polishes and Finish Waxes.

White Ultrafine Polishing Pad This ultra-smooth polishing pad contains 80 pores per inch, allowing for fine polishing which creates a bold, crystalline gloss Use this pad to apply waxes, polishes and sealants. Safe on clear coats. 80 pores per inch (ppi) JoeD

ScottB
05-27-2006, 07:57 PM
Orange Pad --- Cutting Pad ---Best used with polishes/compounds
White Pad --- Polishing Pad ---Best used with polishes and finishing polishes
Grey/Blue --- Finishing Pad --- Best used with finishing polishes and waxes

doesnt mean you can use them in different combos, but I usually reserve wax and sealant application and removal via hand.

JoeD
05-27-2006, 08:33 PM
Hi Killrwheels, thank you for the reply. Excuse my ignorance but I did not receive a Gray Pad with my order. According to the descriptions of the pads, it states that the white pad has 80 ppi verses 70 ppi on the blue pad.

Blue Finishing Pad This pad is great for everyday use. It will leave surface areas scratch-free and smooth while still removing light swirls and imperfections. Use with wax and polish to apply a fine gloss. Safe on clear coats. 70 pores per inch (ppi)

So wouldn't the white be a finer pad for finishing if it contains more ppi? I do plan on applying the finishing wax by hand next time. Thanks again for the reply. I am loving this learning process. JoeD

ScottB
05-27-2006, 09:42 PM
I suspect the density of the foam has more to do with it than just PPI, but I would have to discuss with Lake Country. It does appear in their description that white pads can be used for sealants.

JoeD
05-28-2006, 07:58 AM
Also the white pad that I have seems to be much softer than the blue pad. JoeD

Reddwarf
05-28-2006, 09:13 AM
How difficult was it to use the Portal Cable? I've never used one and I'm scared to try because a) $250 & b) I might screw up and damage the car. On the other hand I'm interested to learn as I have swirls and scratches that I have been unable to remove.

I have only tried using Meguires Scratch X on spots and I saw no difference. Can one be successful using other products by hand or does it require a polisher?

ScottB
05-28-2006, 09:43 AM
How difficult was it to use the Portal Cable? I've never used one and I'm scared to try because a) $250 & b) I might screw up and damage the car. On the other hand I'm interested to learn as I have swirls and scratches that I have been unable to remove.

I have only tried using Meguires Scratch X on spots and I saw no difference. Can one be successful using other products by hand or does it require a polisher?

A good kit (Poorboys) (http://www.autogeek.net/po.html) comes with pads, products, and a machine for 250.00 which is a bargain. As long as you dont throw the PC at the car, you run very, very, very little risk of damage. It will also take a lot of work to remove swirls, but works well as reducing them and making them alot less noticable. Once you get one, you will kick yourself for not doing so sooner. The learning curve is very easy ....

If dont prefer to go that route, then look into paint cleaners (Pinnacle, P21S) or Clearkotes Vanilla Moose. They will hide or temporarily fill the swirls in order to make them less noticable. Just remember you'll likely need to followup with a carnuaba based protectant .

JoeD
05-28-2006, 09:58 AM
As a novice I found the PC to be very easy to use. After awhile you get the hang of it. Just remember to let the PC do the work and don't press down on the unit . It will only cause the PC to bog down. You will not harm the paint. I know I am only a beginner but I can see my self improving as time goes by and with the great help and tips from the members of this forum you can't go wrong. Read the how too's, instructions and tips on the main page and you will find them very helpful. Don't hesitate, purchase the PC. It will make your car shine, shine, shine. Provided you use the correct products. Feel free to ask the questions and I know the Senior Members of this Great Forum will gladly help. JoeD

Reddwarf
05-28-2006, 07:11 PM
After reading a number of entries in these forums including the above I'm convinced! The Poor Boys package seems like a good deal especially with the sale on right now. But would I be better off getting one of the other packages like the Pinnacle XMT or the Edge 2000? I recently bought the Poor Boy's Natty Blue wax and I liked the results by hand that I got. My car is British Racing green and it looked good after the Natty's Blue (even with the swirls and scratches).

wytstang
05-28-2006, 07:58 PM
Since I live in an aparment Poorboys is right up my alley with being sun friendly. If you don't have shade to work in they PB would be my choice. I'm not sure if Pinnacle is sun friendly I'll leave that up to another member to answer......

Reddwarf
05-29-2006, 10:40 AM
I made the plunge! Just ordered the PC with the Poorboys package deal!

DS Detailer
05-29-2006, 10:52 AM
I made the plunge! Just ordered the PC with the Poorboys package deal!

Good call.

I wish I would have got the PoorBoys kit.

Nuke33
01-12-2007, 12:36 AM
Looking good!