PDA

View Full Version : Carpro Eraser OK to use before Opti-Coat 2.0?

WRXINXS
04-29-2013, 07:44 PM
Is it ok to use Eraser as a wipedown before Opti-Coat 2.0? I heard once that the anti-static properties may interfere with Opti-Coat bonding?

Rsurfer
04-29-2013, 07:51 PM
Is it ok to use Eraser as a wipedown before Opti-Coat 2.0? I heard once that the anti-static properties may interfere with Opti-Coat bonding?

Never heard that, but I like to use Prep All before applying any coating or sealants.

mwoolfso
04-29-2013, 07:55 PM
Call up Optimum and ask. I suspect it will be fine.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Marc08EX
04-29-2013, 08:02 PM
I use eraser all the time to prep the surface for OC2.0.

Wheelzntoys
04-29-2013, 08:09 PM
Per Chris:

No issues at all. Eraser will do well to prep your surface for the coating.

KillaCam
04-29-2013, 08:12 PM
I think eraser would even be a better option than using IPA, which is what optimum recommends. I don't see a problem with it.

WRXINXS
04-29-2013, 08:33 PM
I had asked on Opt forum:

"Do you guys feel that Carpro Eraser is a good wipedown product prior to Opti-Coat application? I have heard it does leave an "Anti-static" coating that could interfere with bonding. I have also heard it may not be enough to clear the oils off the surface from a product like Meguiars 205 or other oil heavy polishes?"

Chris replied and said:

"I'm certain that it leaves "something" behind that will interfere with bonding on some paint systems. I know a wipe down is easier, but I prefer a degreasing wash so that I can visually verify that all beading is gone pre coating. The best advice I can give is to make your final polishing step with Optimum Polishes. Our polish is the best option because it cleans up so easily. You can dry wipe the residue, then use a water dampened microfiber as a wipedown, then go straight to coating after drying the surface. NO IPA or PREPSOL needed!"

So that just kinda concerned me so I was just seeing if other people used Eraser with no problem before Opti-Coat. I believe even Todd Helme recommended it in his article about Opti-Coat.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-29-2013, 09:40 PM
GTechniq Panel Wipe. Smell like paint thinner, but will clean very well and leave nothing behind.

jlax2485
04-29-2013, 09:45 PM
[QUOTE=WRXINXS;861436]I had asked on Opt forum:

"Do you guys feel that Carpro Eraser is a good wipedown product prior to Opti-Coat application? I have heard it does leave an "Anti-static" coating that could interfere with bonding. I have also heard it may not be enough to clear the oils off the surface from a product like Meguiars 205 or other oil heavy polishes?"

Chris replied and said:

"I'm certain that it leaves "something" behind that will interfere with bonding on some paint systems. I know a wipe down is easier, but I prefer a degreasing wash so that I can visually verify that all beading is gone pre coating. The best advice I can give is to make your final polishing step with Optimum Polishes. Our polish is the best option because it cleans up so easily. You can dry wipe the residue, then use a water dampened microfiber as a wipedown, then go straight to coating after drying the surface. NO IPA or PREPSOL needed!"

This...use optimum polishes and do a wipe down with a damp microfiber cloth. This is what I did and no issues so far after a few months.

Also much cheaper than buying bottles of eraser.

fenderpicks
04-29-2013, 09:57 PM
i just used OC 2.0 today on a mini cooper.
I used eraser to prep
Only used like 5cc on the ENTIRE car