PDA

View Full Version : New Car Paint Sealant HELP!

Pages : [1] 2

lt2
05-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Against my oppinion and better judgement my wife had the dealer put on a "5 year paint sealant" I think they called it Zylon on her HHR. They even demonstated to her by spray painting a car on the show room floor and then wiping it off. The car is now about 3 months old. The paint still looks fair. The dealer suggested that I not wax the car. I can feel that the hood needs to be clayed. It is dark blue can I safely clay and put on some Pinnacle wax.

Lets have some oppinions. Any one know what they put on? It seems to be a dust magnet. My dark blue F350 doesn't attract dust like this does.

D
05-22-2007, 04:19 PM
This is strictly an opinion. But I think its BS, a 5 year sealant, come on now. And them telling you to not wax the car is weird. Then again, I HATE stealerships, wouldnt let them touch my car.

Strokin04
05-22-2007, 04:50 PM
IMO there 5 year sealant is garbage and I sure wouldn't wait for 5 years much less 5 months before I would be claying, polishing and putting down some real protectant. The whole spray paint is a gimmick that if you put a oily product on your paint then sprayed some paint on it and wipe it off quickly you could get the same results as the 5 year sealant. What dealerships bank on is that by the time your paint starts to fade and go to crap that A - you have already sold it or B - don't care how your paint looks. For what a dealer charges for this service (scam) you could buy enough Souveran to protect your paint for five years and get a better look and better protection.

tonyspop
05-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Against my oppinion and better judgement my wife had the dealer put on a "5 year paint sealant" I think they called it Zylon on her HHR. They even demonstated to her by spray painting a car on the show room floor and then wiping it off. The car is now about 3 months old. The paint still looks fair. The dealer suggested that I not wax the car. I can feel that the hood needs to be clayed. It is dark blue can I safely clay and put on some Pinnacle wax.

Lets have some oppinions. Any one know what they put on? It seems to be a dust magnet. My dark blue F350 doesn't attract dust like this does.The only thing a dealership has that lasts for 5 years is a car payment:D Want a long lasting sealant?Try wolfgangs,it will not disappoint.

Strokin04
05-22-2007, 05:11 PM
Or DG 105, DP sealant or OS all have worked well for me and look good!!!

supercharged
05-22-2007, 05:41 PM

Lets have some oppinions. Any one know what they put on? It seems to be a dust magnet. My dark blue F350 doesn't attract dust like this does.
it's a pure BS. Dealer wants your paint to look dull, and in five years it will be so bad, you will have to repaint, or buy another car. Paint will be dull, and trade in value will be low. That's what they are looking for.
Never buy any sealants from a dealer. Best case scenario, they will sell you Megs NXT, which will not last you 5 years, not even 5 months. They probably ripped you an arm and a leg for that sealant too, right?
For that money you can get a lot of products from Autogeek.

And if you are looking for a durable sealant, yet easey to use - go with Duragloss #105. Bird poop proof (most sealants are not).
Durable carnauba - Collinite 476S.

Good luck.

brig2221
05-22-2007, 05:44 PM
It's actually very misleading. My wife and I purchased the same plan when I bought my Accord a few months ago. I knew being the detailing aficianado that I am that I would take care of the outside, so we were only interested in the inside protection for stains. Honda calls their the Protection package and try to sell it for $699 and claim that you get permanent warranties on stains inside the car and oxidation or paint issues on the exterior.

We talked them down to $150 (still a ripoff in hindsight) as we only wanted the interior done. They told us that they could only sell it as both and would sell us both the interior and exterior for $150. Lucky for me I got wise on how these things worked and asked questions just like your on boards like this beforehand. What I found was disturbing. Regarding the outside paint warranty and protection, they just apply a paint sealant. The words you really want to focus here on is "they apply". To translate, they are going to muck up your paint something terrible trying to apply a cheap paint sealant. Anyhow, I specifically instructed them NOT to do the outside protection package at all knowing they would only succeed in swirling my paint. When I picked my car up later on that day, they handed me a cheap bottle of paint sealant and said, here, you paid for it, lol.

By the way, they don't claim the original application of paint sealant lasts 5 years or forever. If you read the fine print, which I finally did, it instructs you to return to the dealership every 6 months for re-application in order to keep the warranty valid. Failure to do so voids the initially warranty claim of 5 years or forever.

Well, any modern clearn coat that gets paint sealant protection twice a year is going to last 5 years. Thing is, most people don't know that and almost nobody reads the fine print. Save yourself the hassle, don't buy those things. Spend $15 on a nice bottle of paint sealant that will last you for years, apply it yourself, and you will get the same results without the dealership messing up your paint.

BILL
05-22-2007, 05:52 PM

That's a scam.....they probulary put a cheap QDer on it:(

tod071
05-22-2007, 05:57 PM
It's actually very misleading. My wife and I purchased the same plan when I bought my Accord a few months ago. I knew being the detailing aficianado that I am that I would take care of the outside, so we were only interested in the inside protection for stains. Honda calls their the Protection package and try to sell it for $699 and claim that you get permanent warranties on stains inside the car and oxidation or paint issues on the exterior.

We talked them down to $150 (still a ripoff in hindsight) as we only wanted the interior done. They told us that they could only sell it as both and would sell us both the interior and exterior for $150. Lucky for me I got wise on how these things worked and asked questions just like your on boards like this beforehand. What I found was disturbing. Regarding the outside paint warranty and protection, they just apply a paint sealant. The words you really want to focus here on is "they apply". To translate, they are going to muck up your paint something terrible trying to apply a cheap paint sealant. Anyhow, I specifically instructed them NOT to do the outside protection package at all knowing they would only succeed in swirling my paint. When I picked my car up later on that day, they handed me a cheap bottle of paint sealant and said, here, you paid for it, lol.

By the way, they don't claim the original application of paint sealant lasts 5 years or forever. If you read the fine print, which I finally did, it instructs you to return to the dealership every 6 months for re-application in order to keep the warranty valid. Failure to do so voids the initially warranty claim of 5 years or forever.

Well, any modern clearn coat that gets paint sealant protection twice a year is going to last 5 years. Thing is, most people don't know that and almost nobody reads the fine print. Save yourself the hassle, don't buy those things. Spend $15 on a nice bottle of paint sealant that will last you for years, apply it yourself, and you will get the same results without the dealership messing up your paint.
That's interesting. Maybe you can scan and post the actual "fine print" for others and the mods can "sticky" it.
I know I was offered it at my Lexus dealership, simply said no, and we moved on. Interesting to see how other dealerships market this option. If you ask them flat out "is this a 1 time sealant that I never have to do any thing to?", what will they say...

BILL
05-22-2007, 06:04 PM
That's interesting. Maybe you can scan and post the actual "fine print" for others and the mods can "sticky" it.
I know I was offered it at my Lexus dealership, simply said no, and we moved on. Interesting to see how other dealerships market this option. If you ask them flat out "is this a 1 time sealant that I never have to do any thing to?", what will they say...

Bet they say YES!.....as hungry as they are....:o

Strokin04
05-22-2007, 06:04 PM

If it is the dumbass saleperson "Yes" if you go to new car prep "No". When I was in highschool I worked at a dealership and did new car prep for a while and did my share of vehicles that got the paint protection. I tried it on my car thinking if people pay 700 dollars for it must be worth it, well needless to say I ended up just going back to my Meguiar's (pre-AG days). This stuff is like I said before is garbage and you would probably get better protection from turtle wax.

Tex Star Detail
05-22-2007, 09:37 PM
I recently had a client with 2 vehicles. I detailed one, and her SUV, I just washed. She strictly said to NOT put wax on it. Why? She said she spend A LOT of money on getting a sealant put on when she bought it from the dealership.... few hundred bucks. The paint felt like it had nothing on it. Did not bead, did not sheet.....it did nothing. Paint was swirled and looked sorta dull. Said she goes back every so often to have a re-coat. So that is the "5 year sealant" you have to go back to have them re-apply it. They use no name sealant...... You'd be better off rubbing a bag of walnuts across the paint....... They charge you so much, and you end up adding it to the price of the vehicle, which you actually pay more for because it is financed....
It is money in their pocket.....

Nica
05-22-2007, 11:20 PM
Very interesting topic, I'm doing a brand new Pontiac G5 on Friday (May 26 2007). The owner is a co-worker of mine and she asked for my opinion as I'm the detailing guy at work now hahaha. Well she told me that the sales man was selling her protection for the vehicle, get this just for the paint sealant they were going to charge her $399 and for the interior another $399 and for the undercoat protection another $399. When she told me this I told her that I could take better care of her car then the dealership would. She trust's me, so she told the dealership a big "NO" and I'll be doing her vehicle on Friday...sweet cant wait.

Seriously though, I got suckered in once. When I purchased my Acura RSX Type S and I was not pleased at all, using mothers products made it look better then the supposedly protection from the dealership. Even with my Lexus they wanted me to pay X-amount for a "protection package".....no sir, I do my own work and I have a hard time trusting dealerships too.

Well just thought I'd share...but that's just wrong $399 for paint sealant HA!

Al-53
05-23-2007, 07:05 AM
Tha same sealants they use on the High priced dealership scams ..,can be bought on Ebay for 20.00 dollars...the xillion..the simonize 500 stuff...and a few others...it is nothing special..you have to go back for a new application and if you do not it voids the warranty ..LOL...which is a joke..the paint on new cars is warranteed for 6 years anyways...

Even some of the Consumer Protection Agencies have warned about this scam..and advised not to have it done..

AL

lt2
05-23-2007, 05:21 PM
I know it wasn't worth it. I we paid $150. Back to my original inquiry. Can I just clay and apply Klasse and then top with pinnacle. From what you all have stated there is nothing special about this sealant that will cause any problems. ANY ideas on how I can totally remove it.
Thanks