PDA

View Full Version : Newbie detailer- first product order

orbital14
04-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Hi guys, I am looking to start learning how to detail for the first time. Have found a wealth of knowledge on the forums and have learned quite a bit but have one specialized question. I have a black 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT that I would like to detail myself. I live in Northern Canada so we get pretty harsh winters. This is the only car I own and will be doing and plan to do a full detail every 6 months or so (one after winter and one before winter) Being a new car the paint is in fairly good condition but it does contain a lot of small scratches due to improper washing, brushing off snow etc.

From what I have read and learned I think I want to Iron x the car to make claying easier, clay the car, polish it, apply a sealant, and also apply a wax. Based on that I am going to order the following:

Polisher: Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher
Clay bar: Mothers Clay bar kit
Polish: Meguiars 205 Finishing Polish
Pads: 6.5" Lake country pads: 1 x Orange for any problem areas, 1x white for general polishing 1x blue for sealant/wax application. (Do I need to have 2 pads, 1 designated for sealant and 1 for wax? Thinking it would be a good idea but not sure)
Sealant: Meguiars Mirror Glaze polymer sealant 20 (already have)
Wax: Collinite #845
Misc: Iron-x.

I already have: Meguiars quick detailer, Meguiars hot rims rim cleaner, microfibre cloths, Washing equipment.

Is this everything i should need? Anything you guys figure I should change?

Also am wondering weather I should purchase a couple microfibre bonnets to remove the wax/sealant? Or is it just as easy to use microfibre towels for this?

Thanks for your help!

mwoolfso
04-28-2013, 09:05 PM
You can never have too many pads... 2 per color should be fine.

Personally, if you are going to use 845 then use that as your sealant and wax; consider 2 layers, and move the money from Megs Polymer Sealantover to a good spray wax like Optimum Car Wax or to some Cobra towels. I would even suggest you get Collinite 476 as well; more durable than 845.

orbital14
04-28-2013, 10:10 PM
Is it because the collinite basically acts as a sealer and a wax and is so surable? I already have the meg's sealer as it was given to me but I imagine the collinite is just so good that I may as well shelf the megs and use that hey?

dorkiedoode
04-28-2013, 10:21 PM
you definitely need at least 3 white pads. i used 2 in the beginning and found myself short. collinite would be good enough.

Vegas Transplant
04-29-2013, 12:44 AM
Also am wondering weather I should purchase a couple microfibre bonnets to remove the wax/sealant? Or is it just as easy to use microfibre towels for this?

Some like them. Some don't. I bought mine so as to have the required $95 after discount so as to get free shipping. Waste of $$$ for me...gave them away.

I do find the MF gloves to be invaluable.

Increase Your Grip Strength with Microfiber Gloves (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/33009-increase-your-grip-strength-microfiber-gloves.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/GripStrenght003.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/28204-how-break-open-coating-wax-remove-creeping-out.html