PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a kit

clarkgriswald
04-28-2013, 07:50 AM
Hi guys and gals, new to the forum and new to detailing. I have a new black ram 1500 on order and when it gets here I would like to keep it looking nice so I thought I better get some quality products to do so.

I basically need everything from towels to a DA polisher. What wolfgang products and other products are a must have starter kit? I was hoping AG would help me out with setting up a kit but I haven't gotten any responses back to my emails.

Thanks for your help!

Feed back please

Evan.J
04-28-2013, 08:34 AM
Hi guys and gals, new to the forum and new to detailing. I have a new black ram 1500 on order and when it gets here I would like to keep it looking nice so I thought I better get some quality products to do so.

I basically need everything from towels to a DA polisher. What wolfgang products and other products are a must have starter kit? I was hoping AG would help me out with setting up a kit but I haven't gotten any responses back to my emails.

Thanks for your help!

Feed back please

Welcome to the forum first and foremost. Secondly congratulations on the new pick up.

If you are interested in the Wolfgang line then a nice thing AG has is the Wolfgang kit with a griots garage DA with the Wolfgang swirl remover and the Wolfgang glaze 3.0. Nice kit comes with pads as well.

Griot’s Garage Random Orbital Wolfgang Duo (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-wolfgang-kit.html)

Along with that you can pick up a sealant to protect the finish and most people use the blackfire wet diamond or the Wolfgang sealant 3.0. Another sealant that is good is the collinite 845. I have no experience with it but lots of other have.

Since your truck is new you won't have to really worry about there being many swirls and scratches that you will need to correct. You will how ever want to pick up a clay bar and lube to remove any above surface contamination that will be on the surface of the truck.

For towels any microfiber towels from Korea are best. I have the miracle towel the cobra 530 the rolled edges towel and meguiars supreme shine. All are great towels and you need good towels when removing products from the paint to keep from scratching the clear.

Other things you will need is a good wash mitt wheel brushes two buckets with grit guard inserts and some drying towels.

Here is an article by mike that you will want to read through
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html

clarkgriswald
04-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Welcome to the forum first and foremost. Secondly congratulations on the new pick up.

If you are interested in the Wolfgang line then a nice thing AG has is the Wolfgang kit with a griots garage DA with the Wolfgang swirl remover and the Wolfgang glaze 3.0. Nice kit comes with pads as well.

Griot’s Garage Random Orbital Wolfgang Duo (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-wolfgang-kit.html)

Along with that you can pick up a sealant to protect the finish and most people use the blackfire wet diamond or the Wolfgang sealant 3.0. Another sealant that is good is the collinite 845. I have no experience with it but lots of other have.

Since your truck is new you won't have to really worry about there being many swirls and scratches that you will need to correct. You will how ever want to pick up a clay bar and lube to remove any above surface contamination that will be on the surface of the truck.

For towels any microfiber towels from Korea are best. I have the miracle towel the cobra 530 the rolled edges towel and meguiars supreme shine. All are great towels and you need good towels when removing products from the paint to keep from scratching the clear.

Other things you will need is a good wash mitt wheel brushes two buckets with grit guard inserts and some drying towels.

Here is an article by mike that you will want to read through
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html

Thanks for your help Thor. If I got the paint protectant on my truck can I still seal and wax it even if they tell me I don't need to?

Evan.J
04-28-2013, 02:25 PM
Thanks for your help Thor. If I got the paint protectant on my truck can I still seal and wax it even if they tell me I don't need to?

From the dealer I'm assuming? If so do you know if it a coating? I usually never let the dealer clean my car or do anything to it. But if they are doing it find out what it is.

mandodgeshane
04-28-2013, 02:27 PM
you gonna love the truck. i bought a 2012 ram brand new. i like the meguires clay bar, then i use meguires cleaner wax, then number 7, then number 26. always comeout great.
i also have wolfgang twins, zaino,pinnacle, blackfire sealant, just to name a few. hope this helps. here is a pic of mine with meguires products and a porter cable.

clarkgriswald
04-28-2013, 02:53 PM
From the dealer I'm assuming? If so do you know if it a coating? I usually never let the dealer clean my car or do anything to it. But if they are doing it find out what it is.

I am not sure what or even if the dealer offers the protection but if they do is it worth it i wonder.

clarkgriswald
04-28-2013, 02:54 PM
you gonna love the truck. i bought a 2012 ram brand new. i like the meguires clay bar, then i use meguires cleaner wax, then number 7, then number 26. always comeout great.
i also have wolfgang twins, zaino,pinnacle, blackfire sealant, just to name a few. hope this helps. here is a pic of mine with meguires products and a porter cable.

Your truck looks very nice, can't wait for mine to come in.

Evan.J
04-28-2013, 03:02 PM
I am not sure what or even if the dealer offers the protection but if they do is it worth it i wonder.

Better off just telling them not to do anything. More tha. Likely they will scratch up the clear coat with improper washing take a rotary buffer to it and put holograms into the paint making more work for you.

Your better off taking the truck home washing using the two bucket method claying the truck and then examining the paint to see the condition.

mandodgeshane
04-28-2013, 03:10 PM
yea, dont l et the dealer wash it. take it home, and put it in the shade, and start washing it, then move on with the bar polish wax etc.

HardLineDetail
04-28-2013, 07:15 PM
My sister got a new white camry. She told me she paid $500 for a sealant that the dealer said it would offer 4 year protection. Later a month i did a check if it had any protection, looked like they had put a cheap sealant or no protection at all. She also said they only took 15 mins to apply it.... I wanted to smack her lol.

Becciasm
05-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Your truck looks very nice, can't wait for mine to come in.

Where are you located? You may have some luck finding an experienced detailer on these boards to Opti-coat your truck, or if you're looking to take it on yourself there are several videos and guides here and on the interwebs about how to properly and 'safely' apply opticoat 2.0.

Good purchase on the truck :dblthumb2: