PDA

View Full Version : Do I need Blackfire Total Polish and Seal on my new car?

YOTR
04-27-2013, 11:16 PM
Okay I finally will get my order in to autogeek once they offering the free shipping special again (I just missed it tonight!!).

I just purchased a new honda accord a little over a week ago and was trying to get my detailing stuff ordered. I am on board with the Blackfire crystal seal and Iron X (wasn't at first but I think it will help).

I plan on washing it first, then using the Iron X, clay barring if needed, and then I was going to crystal seal it. I would then wash it every two weeks with ONRWW with the Opitmum instant detailer and use the OCW once a month or every other wash.

Is the Blackfire Total Polish and Seal a worth while step after clay barring (if I have to) and before the crystal seal? If so, what applicator do I use? I would be applying this by hand and have seen the white euro foam pad mentioned but also people using a micro fiber sponge. Which one?

I honestly have always just been a ONR plus OCW person so this is my first time clay barring, putting down sealant, iron x etc. I don't want to waste money as this is a daily driver and I don't have time to wash it every week (again probably every two weeks).

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Bunky
04-28-2013, 06:26 AM
You reallt need to assess the condition of the paint before deciding what polishes to use.

A new car usually benefits from claying and a paint cleaner if sitting on the lot for a while but it could also have dealer install swirls from washing on the lot or water spots.

If the answer is yes, then you may benefit from a polish like BF Total Polish and Seal. It definitely is a safe step.

Do you have a picture of the paint with the sun reflecting off it to post?

YOTR
04-28-2013, 07:53 AM
You reallt need to assess the condition of the paint before deciding what polishes to use.

A new car usually benefits from claying and a paint cleaner if sitting on the lot for a while but it could also have dealer install swirls from washing on the lot or water spots.

If the answer is yes, then you may benefit from a polish like BF Total Polish and Seal. It definitely is a safe step.

Do you have a picture of the paint with the sun reflecting off it to post?

I don't have a picture on hand. It actually rained a few times in a last week so it's pretty dirty now. I do remember when I first got it (and it was clean) and the paint looked great. I didn't feel any bumps on the paint but I will probably still clay bar it regardless

I guess I'm concerned about the blackfire total polish and seal because I know it has mild abrasives in it. Does that mean I could damage the paint if I don't apply it correctly? Sorry I'm new to the whole sealant/polish thing.

I am probably going to buy it because it is only another $18 to my order. Since I am not going to be using a porter cable, what is the best pad to use? I know I am going to apply the crystal seal with one of the included microfiber pads but it states on autogeek's store to use a foam applicator. Would that be one of those white euro foam ones? Or should I just one of those yellow foam applictors? I have also seen it applied with a microfiber pad. I wasn't sure if the TPNS needed something special because of the abrasives inside it.

PA DETAILER
04-28-2013, 07:53 AM
i would use BF P & S then CS it. then BF polymer spray to maintain it.

here you go: BLACKFIRE RAPID FIRE.....

Review in Pictures: Polish and Seal your Paint in two hours with the BLACKFIRE "Rapid Fire" combination - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/blackfire-product-discussion/39153-review-pictures-polish-seal-your-paint-two-hours-blackfire-rapid-fire-combination.html)

YOTR
04-28-2013, 08:14 AM
i would use BF P & S then CS it. then BF polymer spray to maintain it.

here you go: BLACKFIRE RAPID FIRE.....

Review in Pictures: Polish and Seal your Paint in two hours with the BLACKFIRE "Rapid Fire" combination - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/blackfire-product-discussion/39153-review-pictures-polish-seal-your-paint-two-hours-blackfire-rapid-fire-combination.html)

Thanks for the reply. Sorry if this is a dumb question but if I go with the polymer spray, do I need the Optimum car wax spray? I have normally used the Optimum no rinse followed by their spray wax. After the initial seal (with the TPNS and CS, along with the polymer spray), do I just use my rinseless wash every couple of weeks (thinking about maybe trying the Blackfire rinseless wash) and follow that with the polymer spray? Will that give me the same protection as the ONR + OCW combo that I have been using?

PA DETAILER
04-28-2013, 08:26 AM
i would say if your going to maintain with the BF polymer spray, the optimum wax will not be needed. cant help on the rinseless wash. never tried them.

Robert8194
04-28-2013, 08:27 AM
It should give you much better protection and Whiplash. Optimum spray wax is great and is easy to apply but CS is a true sealant and will give you months of protection and shine, especially if you keep it up with BF polymer spray after each wash. Very few products I have found are easier to use or give better shine and protection than Black Fire. I use a ton of Optimum products and love them but the only thing on the Corvette is Black Fire.

Bunky
04-28-2013, 08:29 AM
I guess I'm concerned about the blackfire total polish and seal because I know it has mild abrasives in it. Does that mean I could damage the paint if I don't apply it correctly? Sorry I'm new to the whole sealant/polish thing.

It would probably a good start (some use it in place of paint cleaner) if done properly but I was just trying to have you really assess the paint condition before jumping to products.

YOTR
04-28-2013, 09:44 AM
i would say if your going to maintain with the BF polymer spray, the optimum wax will not be needed. cant help on the rinseless wash. never tried them.

Thanks! I am going to try it.

YOTR
04-28-2013, 09:46 AM
It should give you much better protection and Whiplash. Optimum spray wax is great and is easy to apply but CS is a true sealant and will give you months of protection and shine, especially if you keep it up with BF polymer spray after each wash. Very few products I have found are easier to use or give better shine and protection than Black Fire. I use a ton of Optimum products and love them but the only thing on the Corvette is Black Fire.

Thanks! Okay I think I am going to try their rinseless. I know it's more than the ONR but I would rather use the same brand for everything on the outside. I am going to go with the Mother's Clay kit because I can't justify the price on the Blackfire one. Going with the Mother tire cleaner/shine kit because again I can't justify the Blackfire price. I think I will also try the Mother's VLR spray for the inside interior. I need a lot of stuff so I am trying to keep the cost down.

YOTR
04-28-2013, 09:47 AM
It would probably a good start (some use it in place of paint cleaner) if done properly but I was just trying to have you really assess the paint condition before jumping to products.

I understand. I think I will go ahead and pick it up. It's not a huge investment so might as well. I plan on clay barring it (get the mother's clay bar kit) and using iron x. Then I can use the TPNS.

Robert8194
04-28-2013, 10:38 AM
Thanks! Okay I think I am going to try their rinseless. I know it's more than the ONR but I would rather use the same brand for everything on the outside. I am going to go with the Mother's Clay kit because I can't justify the price on the Blackfire one. Going with the Mother tire cleaner/shine kit because again I can't justify the Blackfire price. I think I will also try the Mother's VLR spray for the inside interior. I need a lot of stuff so I am trying to keep the cost down.

Mothers tire cleaner and VLR are great products and you are right that they are more economical.

mwoolfso
04-28-2013, 10:55 AM

If I use OCW then all I need to do is maintain the car with car wash; no additional "keep it up with a polymer spray after every wash" is needed.

If you have $$$ to burn then either approach will work out fine and then it boils down to personal preference. If you want to save $$$ then OCW is by far a cheaper alternative than 2 Blackfire sealant/polymer products.

t5er
04-28-2013, 08:53 PM
If you have a rinseless wash already then you can probably just buy a clay bar instead of a kit, just use the rinseless at clay lube ratio. The pinnacle bar is big and only $20.

Don't forget about your free sample, maybe an interior cleaner or tire dressing so you can skip buying a full size product now. A sample size will certainly be enough for a couple applications, which may be months apart. It'll help keep initial cost down.