PDA

View Full Version : Mucked Up Microfibre

mryyc
04-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Hi Guys,
I'm new to detailing and just learned my first lesson on microfibre. I had used a lot of towels doing a detail on my wife's car last week and had about 30 or so dirty towels. I did some reading on washing and what to do, put them in a cold wash with just some Oxi-Clean, then dried on low without fabric softener. When they came out though I noticed that one of my towels must have gathered up some awful sawdust from the garage (it was pretty clean, but obviously missed some) now the full load of microfibre is contaminated with tiny pieces of wood saw dust. They were relatively inexpensive Costco towels, my question is - is there anything I could wash them in to try to salvage them for interior detailing use, or should I just be tossing them at this point? I just ordered up some 'Cookie Monster' towels to replace them for paint work going forward.

Thanks!

mavin
04-27-2013, 02:50 PM
I guess you could try soaking them in water for awhile with agitation and seeing if you can get it out. They do have dedicated microfiber wash solutions, griots makes a pad/microfiber wash.

That said, I would never trust the towels on paint again. Might be little sandpaper towels now :P

Rsurfer
04-27-2013, 02:57 PM
You could send them to your state prison and let the inmates who have nothing to do pick them out. J/J. Use them for wheels.

Hazcat
04-27-2013, 03:25 PM
I'd use them for oil rags then toss them since they were probably around $13 for 24 towels. Otherwise you're going to have to sit there and pic out every piece of wood on each towel. Time to punt.

mjd91
04-27-2013, 03:39 PM
Sounds like they'd still work great for engine bay use, wheel well use, drying tires, etc.

tnxm42
04-27-2013, 04:37 PM
You could send them to your state prison and let the inmates who have nothing to do pick them out. J/J. Use them for wheels.

Thats kinda funny you say that actually, I did the exact same thing a couple months ago few wood chips in my new towels, I work at a prison grave yard shift so I took one in a night and cleaned it.. Tweezers my friend, and i Use them for engine or wheel rags

mryyc
04-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Looks like I'll have to get the tweezers out, have some microfibre cleaner on the way as well. I guess it was about time I upgraded anyhow, thanks for the tips.