PDA

View Full Version : PIC Can this paint defect be removed by polish or compound?

chaznad
04-26-2013, 09:08 AM
Hey everyone.. I have a black g35 coupe, the paint is in very good condition besides this , its roughly about a 4"x5" defect.. im not really sure what happened because it was like this when i purchased it and i dont want to take the chance of polishing or compounding and making it worse before i get some advice.. I know the paint is base/clear and im pretty sure it has never been painted .. the reason its weird is because the paint on this problem area is smooth with the rest of the paint , its like embedded or something. Not sure if someone tried compounding and went a little hard on it? Any advice would be appreciated

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/chaznad/IMG_1526.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/chaznad/media/IMG_1526.jpg.html)

thewes
04-26-2013, 09:18 AM
I just got my car back from the bodyshop and I have the exact same marks. Unfortunately I believe it is due to going to hard with compound and might even be burn.

Johnnyboy
04-26-2013, 09:18 AM
Pretty hard to tell......looks like very deep pitting?

chaznad
04-26-2013, 09:26 AM
not sure , it could be pitting , how would that happen?

Evan.J
04-26-2013, 09:30 AM
A buddy of mine had this issue with little holes appearing in the paint. He had his hood repaired by a body shop and when I went to clean it I noticed these. It seem as if dust and solvent fumes had got trapped under the paint and caused this. (My guess anyways). Needless to say the panel had to be repainted.

I'm not a expert with paint I think smack (Mike) is from what I hear knowledgable in this area

Johnnyboy
04-26-2013, 09:44 AM
I've seen something like this before when I worked at a bodyshop. It was eventually lead to beleive that it was caused by improper cleaning of the panel before it was repainted. Either way.....looks like deep pitting and chances are that it would need repainting.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-26-2013, 09:48 AM
A buddy of mine had this issue with little holes appearing in the paint. He had his hood repaired by a body shop and when I went to clean it I noticed these. It seem as if dust and solvent fumes had got trapped under the paint and caused this. (My guess anyways). Needless to say the panel had to be repainted.

I'm not a expert with paint I think smack (Mike) is from what I hear knowledgable in this area

OP, can you see any visual difference in orange peel from that area to another whether the peel may be more or less? Also check the door jamb for any uneveness or a tape line. This will be your way of telling if the area was painted or not. If you cant tell anything from those areas it may not have been painted or done so well you cant tell. Another way would be to check the CarFax report.

If you want to press forward by trying to fix the area I would do so in the least aggressive fashion as we all know. But before you do that if you havent allready try claying first.

statusdetailing
04-26-2013, 09:57 AM
If that's been repaired before, it could be pitting in some sort of body filler.

chaznad
04-26-2013, 02:18 PM
ok i think it has been repaired , ugghhh... so im guessing only thing to do is repaint?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-26-2013, 02:51 PM
By re-studying your picture and showing my fellow painters, we think that is solvent pop. Also by looking at the picture closely we can see the surface to the right of the crease is pretty well flat in that it has been sanded before. It is very clear and pretty well flat on the right side.

Now if you look at the left side of the crease you can see that the surface is not flat and is very textured. This side has not been touched as it still represents the factory orange peel.

What we are thinking, is that it is indeed solvent pop and the painter or detailer at the body shop wet sanded the area to level the solvent pop or holes that you see. In doing so they lowered the pits and may have covered the holes with a product such as a glaze that is full of fillers to hide as much of the defects to cenceal the pop. In doing so this has prevented them from redoing the mistake and they were able to sell the car.

Let us know what happens if you take it to a body shop.

Evan.J
04-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Solvent pop. That's the term it called. Mike I was trying to think of that name all day:xyxthumbs:

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Solvent pop. That's the term it called. Mike I was trying to think of that name all day:xyxthumbs:

:cheers:

chaznad
04-27-2013, 11:42 AM
ok thanks guys... ill most likely have the door repaint because it seems a little deep to polish out , ill keep you posted

Detailing by M
04-27-2013, 11:46 AM
well do some testing on it. If you can't fix it then it's below the CC and you'll need a re-paint