PDA

View Full Version : Removing light scratches combo question

theblob640
04-25-2013, 11:25 PM
Hello all, so think weekend I plan on removing the dealer induced light scratches that are on my Super Bee. I plan on first using the white LC CCS polishing pad with Menzerna SF4000. If that doesn't work I will up it to the orange LC CCS cutting pad. If the orange pad with SF4000 does work, will I need to go back to the white pad to polish it back to a high gloss as I would if I did Menzerna SI-1500 (orange pad) first or will the orange pad with SF4000 do that as well? Sorry if it might sound a little confusing, not sure how else to word it.

Thanks.

thebamboo23
04-25-2013, 11:32 PM
Not familiar with those products.. But from what I'm reading, my answer to you is: you'll have your answer when you do your test spot.. Try out all those combinations you just stated and see which ones yields the best result

AutowerxDetailing
04-25-2013, 11:37 PM
Your logic is sound.

I have no experience with the Menz products you are planning on using but I do know that they use diminishing abrasive compounds. This diminishing abrasive technology is supposed to produce a glossy finish (even in the heavier cutting compound) because the abrasive particles break down into finer and finer grit the longer you work the polish.

Whether or not the paint demands a finishing polish depends on several factors, most notably: the level of perfection you desire from your paint's finish, hardness/softness of your vehicle's paint system, machine used and skill level (DA vs Rotary), etc.

If the pad/product combo is leaving it's own imperfections (holograms from rotary or DA haze, aka tick marks, from a DA polisher) you will want to go back over with a finer polish and pad combo to leave a flawless finish.

Best advice: perform a test spot and see how it looks. If you like the results you get, simply duplicate that process over the entire car. :xyxthumbs:

Ecrissman
04-26-2013, 05:35 AM
I have used those products, depends how badly your car is scratched. Starting with the SF on a white pad is a good place to start, and I am sure you will like the results. If you need more correction drop down to an orange pad or use SP on a white and continue to refine the finish. I use SF or Pinnacle advanced finishing polish quite a bit as it quickly removes and marring I create from washing and or detailing. I have found when you think you have a flawless car at some point or another the sun hits it and you realize you missed something. Make sure you clay your car and follow the basic washing routine document throughout this site. I the flex xc3401 and have excellent results. You might bookmark this link for reference.

Autogeek Menzerna Compounds Comparison Chart (http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-cut-chart-menzerna.htm)

theblob640
04-26-2013, 03:06 PM
So if I do use the orange pad with SF4000, will I need to go back down to the white pad with SF4000 therefore making it a 2-step? Or will orange pad with SF4000 be enough as a one step then go straight to a sealant. Heavy correction isn't necessary from what I can see. Reason I ask is because I see a lot of people have success with orange pad and m205 as a one step, so just wanted to know. Also, I do know it depends on how I want it and it depends on the car manufacturer paint. But what is usually the case using this step?

Thanks.

dorkiedoode
04-26-2013, 03:40 PM
So if I do use the orange pad with SF4000, will I need to go back down to the white pad with SF4000 therefore making it a 2-step? Or will orange pad with SF4000 be enough as a one step then go straight to a sealant. Heavy correction isn't necessary from what I can see. Reason I ask is because I see a lot of people have success with orange pad and m205 as a one step, so just wanted to know. Also, I do know it depends on how I want it and it depends on the car manufacturer paint. But what is usually the case using this step?

Thanks.

Start out with the least aggressive first. Get a test spot run it with the white pad. Tape another test spot next to it and run it with the orange. That way you have the two to compare.

Or you can run the white pad with a few passes. Wipe off and check your result. Bring it out to the sun and check. If it didn't remove anything. Take it back in and run the orange pad. Then take it out and check. If your happy with the result the orange pad gives you. You are now all set to go. If the result with the orange pad doesn't make you happy or you see hazing or small fine lines. You will need to go back to white pad, run a few pass over it, Pull out. and check. by this time you should get your desire result. The more testing you do the less time you waste.

On my super soft paint, the orange pad will give me little lines with M205. I have to go back with white pad to clear it up. This was on the black paint. Your paint may be different.

Ecrissman
04-26-2013, 03:40 PM
If it is truly light marring then I use the white pad and done. Try on the worse spot and see how it comes out.

theblob640
04-26-2013, 03:46 PM
Start out with the least aggressive first. Get a test spot run it with the white pad. Tape another test spot next to it and run it with the orange. That way you have the two to compare.

Or you can run the white pad with a few passes. Wipe off and check your result. Bring it out to the sun and check. If it didn't remove anything. Take it back in and run the orange pad. Then take it out and check. If your happy with the result the orange pad gives you. You are now all set to go. If the result with the orange pad doesn't make you happy or you see hazing or small fine lines. You will need to go back to white pad, run a few pass over it, Pull out. and check. by this time you should get your desire result. The more testing you do the less time you waste.

On my super soft paint, the orange pad will give me little lines with M205. I have to go back with white pad to clear it up. This was on the black paint. Your paint may be different.

If it is truly light marring then I use the white pad and done. Try on the worse spot and see how it comes out.

Thanks for the great responses! One more question, but it may sound a little stupid, will I be able to see micro marring, if any, on yellow paint, Stinger Yellow to be exact? Since it such a bright color.

Ecrissman
04-26-2013, 04:07 PM
Yes, if you have you lighting correct. If you can roll it out in the sun. Personally I line dbl halogens with 2 bulbs each head about 10' up .. still intense enough to give you a tan while still gives a decent light for marring.