PDA

View Full Version : Orbital Polisher

Pages : [1] 2

bucky92
04-24-2013, 02:15 PM
So... I bought one of those Orbital Polishers from AutoZone to apply compound, polish, and wax/sealant. Is this adequate for what I need it for? Should I invest in something more expensive with more bells and whistles?? What is the main difference between the cheap autozone polisher and one that you can buy from here?

I have a 2012 Mazda3 and I use Collinite Insulator Wax, and was wondering if there was something out there that was better??

spiralout462
04-24-2013, 02:18 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/25148-traditional-orbital-buffer-aka-wax-spreader.html?highlight=wax+spreader

capnp72
04-24-2013, 02:19 PM
It's fine for applying wax but if you want to do paint "correction" you'll need a d/a polisher or rotary.

bucky92
04-24-2013, 02:43 PM
OK, I figured as much... what one should a 'noob' get?

ziggo99
04-24-2013, 04:26 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/22263-how-choose-right-polisher-your-detailing-project.html

ScottB
04-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Car Buffers, Car Polishers, Rotary Polishers, polishing foam pads, buffing pads, wool pad, Porter Cable 7424, Makita, DeWalt, Cyclo buffer, bonnet, (http://www.autogeek.net/bupo.html)

Consider the random orbitals from PC, Griots, and Megs as a much better starting point. Return that big headed one or soon it will be gathering dust in the garage.

kimtyson
04-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Depends on what your intentions are, Bucky92. But if you are anything like 99% of the rest of us, you will hate that thing in a month. I totally agree with Killrwheels. Unless you only intend to use it to spread wax around new paint it is a waste of money.

bucky92
04-25-2013, 12:16 AM
Thank you so much for the responses. Appreciate it! The guy at autozone told me the orbitals are good because I won't have to worry about burning through the clear coat... :wow:Is this hard to do?

Would the Meguiar's one be suitable for my needs??? Removing scratches, laying polish, and wax???

dorkiedoode
04-25-2013, 12:29 AM
Thank you so much for the responses. Appreciate it! The guy at autozone told me the orbitals are good because I won't have to worry about burning through the clear coat... :wow:Is this hard to do?

Would the Meguiar's one be suitable for my needs??? Removing scratches, laying polish, and wax???

Get a Griot Garage one. They were in sale for 85 a few days ago. Much better correction than autozone.

hernandez.art13
04-25-2013, 12:39 AM
I like the clutch feature of the Porter Cable. You'll really have to try to burn paint to burn the paint. Not sure if the Griot has this feature.

AutowerxDetailing
04-25-2013, 01:24 AM
Porter Cable, Griots, Meguiar's, and Rupes DA machines all have a free spinning design that acts as a clutch that stops rotating the pad to prevent excessive heat build up while applying pressure. It is this design feature that makes this style of tool an excellent choice for detailers of any skill level.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using AG Online

hernandez.art13
04-25-2013, 09:36 AM
The downside I see is with the Porter Cable is you have to color sand to 3000, The Rupes can handle 15000 but is expensive.

Not sure about the Griots or Meguiars though what are they?

Mike Phillips
04-25-2013, 09:39 AM
OK, I figured as much... what one should a 'noob' get?

Read this...
It's not that hard... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/55512-s-not-hard.html)

Trista removing swirls on a show car...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1511/TristaBuffingFortheFirstTime002.jpg

:)

MarkD51
04-25-2013, 09:56 AM

Hi Bucky, and welcome.

Yes, he's correct, that with these orbital polishers-waxers, burning the paint is a near impossibility. There's just not enough controlled, and consistent rotation of the pad-bonnet to do any harm.

You could literally stand there with cup of coffee in one hand, the orbital polisher in the other, work one area for literal long minutes on end, and not hurt the paint.

Although many here don't use such, as they offer little in the way of paint correction, they have good uses, for applying waxes, and combos of glazes-waxes, can cut a lot of time off of waxing large vehicles, and ease lots of wear and tear on the hands-arms versus hand application methods.

Another advantage, is they can help apply even coats of wax quickly, then finish any areas where the machine cannot get by hand.

Same with removal of wax-sealant products, apply another clean bonnet, and go to town. They're simple enough to use, that a 10 year old can get good results.

If you're interested in doing better paint correction to vehicles such as swirl, fine-medium scratch removal, yet still using a relatively safe machine that is still gentle in its process, then the DA Polisher from the various makers is the best way to go.
Mark

bucky92
04-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the responses - this site rocks!

OK, I'm pretty much sold on getting a DA polisher, as it will pay for itself in 1-2 uses. However, I am not going to be able to afford one until late May, as right now I'm so broke as I'm saving for a wedding.

What polish could I use to remove scratches and swirls, and what hand pads are recommended???