PDA

View Full Version : Distilled water for OPC?

Pages : [1] 2

dc52nv
04-24-2013, 12:41 PM
I use distilled water for my WW, detail sprays and everything else that touches the paint. My question is, when diluting OPC for tire cleaning, should I still use distilled water? I've been using regular tap water when diluting OPC and haven't noticed an issue. What do the rest of you use for OPC or APC dillutions?

Thanks in advance. :)

cleanmycorolla
04-24-2013, 12:49 PM
I use distilled for everything, CG All Clean+ is an APC I use with distilled, works excellent!

dc52nv
04-24-2013, 01:05 PM
I use distilled for everything, CG All Clean+ is an APC I use with distilled, works excellent!

Thanks for your feedback. Do you think it makes a difference using distilled water over tap water when cleaning tires?

Pats300zx
04-24-2013, 01:07 PM
I use distilled water whenever I mix any chemicals...

cleanmycorolla
04-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Thanks for your feedback. Do you think it makes a difference using distilled water over tap water when cleaning tires?

I always use distilled, no matter what. Just so I know it allows whatever chemical I am using the ability to do what's it supposed to at it's best.

I use distilled water whenever I mix any chemicals...
^^This

dc52nv
04-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Thanks you guys for the info. I'll just keep doing what I normally do with all my other diluted products and use distilled water for OPC.

ihaveacamaro
04-24-2013, 02:47 PM
I feel like just how its best practice to clay before polishing. Its best practice to use distilled water when mixing chemicals.

So... How are you diluting it? ;)

dc52nv
04-24-2013, 03:36 PM
I feel like just how its best practice to clay before polishing. Its best practice to use distilled water when mixing chemicals.

So... How are you diluting it? ;)

I mainly use it 1:3 for tires and now that I'm gonna use distilled water, 1:3 for stripping LSPs. Are you still diluting yours 1:4 for tires? I thought I had heard that in one of your vids. Could be wrong though.

ihaveacamaro
04-24-2013, 04:40 PM
I mainly use it 1:3 for tires and now that I'm gonna use distilled water, 1:3 for stripping LSPs. Are you still diluting yours 1:4 for tires? I thought I had heard that in one of your vids. Could be wrong though.

I'm actually using megs apc for tires. Not entirely happy with my dilutions performance so I decided to do 1:1 with it. If it still doesn't work well, I may have to get megs super degreaser or another product.

dc52nv
04-24-2013, 05:09 PM
I'm actually using megs apc for tires. Not entirely happy with my dilutions performance so I decided to do 1:1 with it. If it still doesn't work well, I may have to get megs super degreaser or another product.

Does Meg's APC clean tires better for you than OPC? I have a half a gallon left of Tuf Shine tire cleaner left and only use it as a tire LSP to make sure tires are perfectly clean. Lol

rmagnus
04-24-2013, 05:22 PM
I prefer to use distilled water but recently ran out and I mixed up some APC+ and ONRWW with regular tap water and didn't notice a diffeerence. For the ONRWW I mixed an extra cap full of solution into a 2 gal bucket for a Gary Dean type car wash. Guess it depends on the chemicals in your tap water. Distilled is still a safer way to go.

Just realize the amount of acid rain, fall out, muddy water sand and other crap that gets on daily drivers I really think we are over thinking the type of water for washing cars and tires.

dc52nv
04-24-2013, 06:21 PM
I prefer to use distilled water but recently ran out and I mixed up some APC+ and ONRWW with regular tap water and didn't notice a diffeerence. For the ONRWW I mixed an extra cap full of solution into a 2 gal bucket for a Gary Dean type car wash. Guess it depends on the chemicals in your tap water. Distilled is still a safer way to go.

Just realize the amount of acid rain, fall out, muddy water sand and other crap that gets on daily drivers I really think we are over thinking the type of water for washing cars and tires.
Hoo Rah! Sorry couldn't help myself. Former Marine here and it's hard to get rid of old habits. :D

Speed-Dude
04-24-2013, 06:23 PM

I totally agree I think distilled water is a bit more than what's really necessary tbh. Tap water on average has about 100-200 ppm of dissolved solids within it. Which really isn't close to enough to affect detail sprays and such.

If you're hellbent on using distilled water i'd suggest giving your wallet a break and filling up water from most grocery stores which have those machines which allow you to fill your own jugs of water. These water machines are filtered using a few separate processes including reverse osmosis which removes almost completely everything. The water ends up having around 1-3 ppm of TDS which is, for anyone's case here, plenty pure for detailing. (I've tested numerous machines with a TDS meter with similar results). This way you can get distilled quality water for about a third of the cost. And save the landfills from plastic too!

dc52nv
04-24-2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the tip, Speed-Dude.

Smoothy
04-24-2013, 08:29 PM
I use tap water to mix with everything that gets a final rinse with the hose, which is equivalent to tap water anyway.

I only use distilled water to saturate my foam applicator pad in preparation for using it to wax.