PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove residue Menzerna 4500?

poko
04-23-2013, 06:56 PM
Hello everyone, today I first ever tried Menzerna 4500 with LC CCS Gray pad. I polished a small section, say 1.5 ft x 2 ft, for a minute or so, then I still saw thin layer of residue of 4500. I found it was very hard to wipe off it with a dry MF towel. So I used much amount of QD to wipe off the residue. Is it normal for Menzerna 4500 being hard to wipe off, or simply did I apply too much? What is a best way to remove polish residue without inducing micro marring that should have just been removed? :confused:

Boudin
04-23-2013, 06:58 PM
Try wiping down with a 15% isopropyl alcohol mixture

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Rsurfer
04-23-2013, 07:01 PM
You used too much polish or you didn't break the polish down. Menzerna uses diminishing abrasives and needs to be broken down before wiping with a mf.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-23-2013, 07:03 PM
You used too much polish or you didn't break the polish down. Menzerna uses diminishing abrasives and needs to be broken down before wiping with a mf.

+1. To much product.

You need to work longer than that. At least 6 section passes.

Wendell Jarvis
04-23-2013, 07:04 PM
I agree with Rsurfer.....Have been using Menzerna for Years, sounds like you didnt break the polish down......with some polishes from Menzerna you will see the polish "Flash" with 4500 it needs to be worked in and broken down.

Wes Bremec
04-23-2013, 07:42 PM
This is why I prefer using floods when polishing. Not only to check work as you go:) pick up some menz top inspection also. This will help on the long hall!

poko
04-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Thank you, guys. I will re-try with less amount of polish in longer working time.

theblob640
04-23-2013, 09:27 PM
+1. To much product.

You need to work longer than that. At least 6 section passes.

A little off topic but what speed and pressure do you recommend? In one of the videos with the wolfgang twins, Mike used a speed of 4 with Finishing Glaze and from the compound/polishing chart is equivalent to SF4500. Also, not as much pressure was used < 15 lbs of pressure. Maybe a response to this will help out the OP as well.

Thanks.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-23-2013, 09:42 PM
I use speed 4-5 for correction work on my 3401 with any of the compounds such as FG400, WG TSR, and BF SRC Compound.

I use speed 3-4 for polishing work with the SF4000, SF4500, and the corressponding polishes to the compounds listed above.

Since these are all DAT products I always go the extra mile when working with them and typically do 6-8 section passes to fully exhaust all abrasives in the compound/polish. I also reduce pressure to just the weight of the machine towards the last few passes.

I hope this helps you guys out.

:)

poko
04-23-2013, 10:55 PM
I use speed 4-5 for correction work on my 3401 with any of the compounds such as FG400, WG TSR, and BF SRC Compound.

I use speed 3-4 for polishing work with the SF4000, SF4500, and the corressponding polishes to the compounds listed above.

Since these are all DAT products I always go the extra mile when working with them and typically do 6-8 section passes to fully exhaust all abrasives in the compound/polish. I also reduce pressure to just the weight of the machine towards the last few passes.

I hope this helps you guys out.

:)

What is DAT?
Could you further explain a methodology of "6-8 section passes?" I may not understand the word correctly how to move the polisher. Thanks.

pasipple
04-23-2013, 11:02 PM
What is DAT?
Could you further explain a methodology of "6-8 section passes?" I may not understand the word correctly how to move the polisher. Thanks.

Here's a link to a Mike Phillips video on section passes.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/24074-show-car-garage-video-how-do-section-pass-when-machine-polishing-da-polisher.html

maximus20895
04-23-2013, 11:18 PM
What is DAT?

Deminishing Abrasive Technology. Most Menzerna products use DAT. This basically means you have to work the polish in until it "flashes" or lets the abrasive particles in the polish break down.

People here are saying that you have not done enough section passes to break down the polish. Usually when dealing with SF4500 I polish until it turns clear.

I had the exact problem you are having when I first used the polish when it was called PO86RD. Like the other people have said, just do a couple more :buffing: and you should be good to go!

poko
04-24-2013, 08:47 PM
Here's a link to a Mike Phillips video on section passes.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/24074-show-car-garage-video-how-do-section-pass-when-machine-polishing-da-polisher.html

Thanks for the link!

Deminishing Abrasive Technology. Most Menzerna products use DAT. This basically means you have to work the polish in until it "flashes" or lets the abrasive particles in the polish break down.

People here are saying that you have not done enough section passes to break down the polish. Usually when dealing with SF4500 I polish until it turns clear.

I had the exact problem you are having when I first used the polish when it was called PO86RD. Like the other people have said, just do a couple more :buffing: and you should be good to go!

Now I am sure what went wrong at my first use of SF4500. I can't wait for the weekend to try it following all your guys advice.:xyxthumbs:

Ecrissman
04-26-2013, 05:56 AM
I also use speed setting of 4 or 5 with a flex. With proper lighting you will see when the product has broke down and begins to flash. You can also feel it in the machine as your making a pass.