PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Mirror Glaze #7 with Collinite 845

joeyd71
04-23-2013, 06:08 PM
Hey all,
I have a metallic black jetta, which was cared for meticulously by the previous owner. It became my daily driver in the winter and the paint developed some swirls and the paint just looks dull. I used Collinite 845 before winter and really liked it. But now I would like to use Meguiars Mirror Glaze #7 first, and then follow it up with the Collinite 845. I not sure how the two would react, because the one is oily and the other is...not.
Thanks in advance!

Dr Oldz
04-23-2013, 06:34 PM
Number 7 is mainly designed for single stage paint. If you are looking for something to hide swirls, look at a different product.

swanicyouth
04-23-2013, 06:38 PM
Hey all,
I have a metallic black jetta, which was cared for meticulously by the previous owner. It became my daily driver in the winter and the paint developed some swirls and the paint just looks dull. I used Collinite 845 before winter and really liked it. But now I would like to use Meguiars Mirror Glaze #7 first, and then follow it up with the Collinite 845. I not sure how the two would react, because the one is oily and the other is...not.
Thanks in advance!

I would skip #7 and go with an acrylic based glaze. The two best ones are Black Hole and Wet Glaze II IMHO. WG II is usually available in Amazon.

joeyd71
04-23-2013, 06:53 PM
I just did a test spot on the paint using only the collinite, and it hid the swirls pretty nicely...so they must not have been too deep. Originally I was just looking at glaze to get to another level of shine, and the whole swirl problem is just a bonus if it can be done. So right now I'm not too worried about swirls.

BillyJack
04-23-2013, 07:02 PM
I've used gallons of #7 over the years and though I agree that it is most effective on SS paint, I've used it as a second-to-last step on modern paints before the LSP and it does make a difference. However, I also agree with using a modern polish to refine your finish prior to the 845.
Poorboy's Black Hole is a good choice, IMO. If you need to go OTC, Meguiar's Ultimate Polish or the new Meg's Black Wax are worth considering also. I've put Colli 845 and 476 over countless polishes and glazes from Meguiar's (including #7, Poorboy's, Optimum etc. and never had any compromise of legendary Collinite durability. This past winter I used Meg's #9, another oil-rich product, covered it with 2 apps of 476 and it's still beading, albeit weaker than last December.

Bill