PDA

View Full Version : Help! Ran over some went paint

SoCalE
04-22-2013, 11:57 PM
Help! I guess I might have ran over some wet paint. Noticed it this more. It's all over the tires, wheel well, rear bumper, and the lower part of the doors. It seems to be slightly stretchy. Smells like cheap paint. What's the best way to remove them?

Thanks!

af90
04-23-2013, 12:02 AM
You could try washing and claying it if it was recent and hasn't embedded very much.

SoCalE
04-23-2013, 12:36 AM
Washing didn't seem to do anything. Tried claying with no effect. However, it seems that if I scrape off the paint with my fingernails, the clay seems to remove the remaining smudge, so it might work. This feels like it's going to take at least a few hours.

I've never clayed tires before, is it even possible since the tires aren't exactly smooth?

I believe the paint has been on for over 24 hours.

hernandez.art13
04-23-2013, 12:48 AM
Washing didn't seem to do anything. Tried claying with no effect. However, it seems that if I scrape off the paint with my fingernails, the clay seems to remove the remaining smudge, so it might work. This feels like it's going to take at least a few hours.

I've never clayed tires before, is it even possible since the tires aren't exactly smooth?

I believe the paint has been on for over 24 hours.

Careful with the finger nail method especially with paint on paint. You might remove the clear coat.

RedXray
04-23-2013, 02:22 AM
After painting cars for 35+ years this would be how I would attack this issue. First I'd try some M105 on a MF to see if this cuts the paint off. If not your going to have to use a SAFE solvent to loosen the paint splatter.

1. Enamel Reducer soaking just the corner of a microfiber towel

2. With your finger and the towel test an inconspicuous spot that has the paint splatter

3. Do not let the enamel reducer dry, wipe it with a clean microfiber

4. If this removes the splattered paint continue until it's all been removed.

5. Polish all the areas and apply a LSP

DO NOT USE LACQUER THINNER

Enamel reducer is safe on catalyst cured clear coatings but always do a test spot.
You can buy quarts of enamel reducer at your local auto body supply.

Shane731
04-23-2013, 10:02 AM
After painting cars for 35+ years this would be how I would attack this issue. First I'd try some M105 on a MF to see if this cuts the paint off. If not your going to have to use a SAFE solvent to loosen the paint splatter.

2. With your finger and the towel test an inconspicuous spot that has the paint splatter

Enamel reducer is safe on catalyst cured clear coatings but always do a test spot.

Just curious but why should you stay away from Lacquer Thinner?

SoCalE
04-23-2013, 12:32 PM
Are Lacquer Thinner and Paint Thinner the same thing? I was wondering if either Paint Thinner or Mineral Spirits would be able to remove the paint without messing up the clear coat. Anyway, I don't have any M105 on hand. I do however have some Scratch X 2.0. I think I'll stop by Walmart tonight and see if I can find some MF Bonnet and use that with Scratch X and see how it turns out.

I'll post some updates as my progress goes on, but in the meantime, please keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks!

statusdetailing
04-23-2013, 01:03 PM
+1. I've never damaged paint with enamel reducer but it can definitely have a slight dulling affect. Polishing will be a must if you go with that method.

Clay paired with meg's apc will work sometimes as well. Watch for drips and streaks and don't let the product dry on the paint.

'03 Ram 5.9
04-23-2013, 01:19 PM
maybe try wetsanding with 2,000 grit?

statusdetailing
04-23-2013, 05:31 PM
maybe try wetsanding with 2,000 grit?

Yikes, I wouldn't. Too much risk, and there are ways to get that paint off without sanding. There's absolutely no reason to be removing that much clear coat.

Every time somebody bust out sandpaper they end up creating a new post with a title like this:

"Wet sanded my paint. Did I burn through? Please help!"

Don't do it! Don't do it! Don't do it!

hernandez.art13
04-23-2013, 09:54 PM
Yikes, I wouldn't. Too much risk, and there are ways to get that paint off without sanding. There's absolutely no reason to be removing that much clear coat.

Every time somebody bust out sandpaper they end up creating a new post with a title like this:

"Wet sanded my paint. Did I burn through? Please help!"

Don't do it! Don't do it! Don't do it!

I only feel comfortable color sanding on a freshly painted car's orange peel. If compound doesn't fix it then I always say "that's the best I can do" to avoid any "woops"

SoCalE
04-23-2013, 11:56 PM
Okay, so I was Googling for removing paint off tires and came across a thread which Mike replied to: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/20882-spray-paint-tires.html

So I went to Lowe's on the way home and picked up a bottle of Motsenbocker's Lift Off Spray Paint Graffiti for about eight bux and tested it on some spots. I sprayed it on and then waited about a minute. At first it didn't seem to do anything. After a few attempts, it magically started working. After soaking for a bit, I rubbed my thumb on the paint and it started smearing. Anyway, here are some before and after shots. I stuck some tape as markers.

Just a word of caution; don't use it on leather sofa. I should have tested it first in an inconspicuous spot. Oh well, live and learn.

statusdetailing
04-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Okay, so I was Googling for removing paint off tires and came across a thread which Mike replied to: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/20882-spray-paint-tires.html

So I went to Lowe's on the way home and picked up a bottle of Motsenbocker's Lift Off Spray Paint Graffiti for about eight bux and tested it on some spots. I sprayed it on and then waited about a minute. At first it didn't seem to do anything. After a few attempts, it magically started working. After soaking for a bit, I rubbed my thumb on the paint and it started smearing. Anyway, here are some before and after shots. I stuck some tape as markers.

Just a word of caution; don't use it on leather sofa. I should have tested it first in an inconspicuous spot. Oh well, live and learn.

Nice, I may have to try that out. Thanks for the pics and link to Mike's post.