PDA

View Full Version : Noob question about sealant application

Trindawg41
04-22-2013, 11:54 PM
Hey all!! New guy here! New to these forums and new to fine auto detailing! Just bought a 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV, Pearl White. I have ordered some products from AG and finally got to spend some time with my new ride last weekend. I used DP auto bath for my 2 bucket wash, clayed my car, and proceeded to wax it with a sample of Dodo Juice White Diamond hard wax. I was barely able to finish the car with this sample, but I thought I got good results with it, but wanted BETTER. So, I did more research and decided I wanted to try the sealant route, to get a better gloss. So, I decided on the WGDPS 3.0 and ordered the Fuzion Wax as well for the topper. Well, my question is this: Since I waxed the car this last weekend, will I have to remove said wax BEFORE I apply my sealant? What would happen If i applied the sealant over the wax? IS it ok to do this? Any suggestions would be helpful to the new guy here!! Thanks a lot!

Feed back please

Pureshine
04-23-2013, 12:47 AM
Sealant needs to be applied to clean paint if you put it on top of wax it won't bond to the paint. You need to strip the wax off and start over. I apply 2 coats of sealant and one coat of wax.

Trindawg41
04-23-2013, 07:27 AM
I have read that claying will remove the wax. I did clay my car before I applied that first coat of wax. Guess I'll have to clay again. :cry:

cleanmycorolla
04-24-2013, 09:10 AM
get yourself a good paint cleaner, to remove the old wax, then apply your WG products

mavin
04-24-2013, 09:59 AM
I know this is somewhat controversial, but is putting a little dawn into your regular wash soap a good way to strip off your wax/lsp if you are going to do a full wash, bar, compound, polish, seal, wax?

Klasse Act
04-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Clay barring isn't going to remove wax but then again this is what I've read. Not sure how it removes wax anyways as its made to remove the embedded contaminents from the top layer of your paint.

I agree about the 2 coats of sealants and 1 coat of nuba. If you wanna add more sealant afterwards your going to have to wait a while for the nuba to breakdown and then more sealant. I like to use nuba's in the spring and fall as its a little cooler out, leave the sealants for when its warmer or hot outside as they don't melt like a nuba does. That being said, I've done my DG spring clean-up and next up is a coat of Collinite #845, first time using it, looking forward to it!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online