PDA

View Full Version : Should I use Iron X?

Bill1234
04-22-2013, 07:08 PM
Hi all, I have a 2004 audi a6. I will usually wash it about once a week and then 2 days later it will have dirt all over it. Would everybody recommend trying iron x on the paint to try and get rid of the dust and dirt attraction?

ForceofWill
04-22-2013, 07:13 PM
Iron X won't do anything for dirt or dust. I would still recommend doing it though post wash and pre clay to decontaminate iron/rust embedded in the paint.

Bill1234
04-22-2013, 07:16 PM
I will order it in my next order, I have never iron xed (or what you call it ) I might try it on my rims as They get alot of dirt on them within days after cleaning. Would I do this before or after cleaning them with a wheel cleaner

Bill1234
04-22-2013, 07:18 PM
also, will this work if wax is not stripped or do I need to pre strip wax?

thebamboo23
04-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Iron X dissolves iron particles embedded in the clear coat.. Its debatable, but clean off the wheel with the wheel cleaner, hose down, then apply iron X.. That way the product can pick up the iron a lot better without interruption from other debri

For paint surface.. Wash car, rinse down, don't dry, apply iron X, rinse, dry (or dont), and clay

ForceofWill
04-22-2013, 07:22 PM
If you're gonna Iron-X it should be pre clay and bare paint. I would definitely do it when you're planning on redoing everything to the car.

Strip Wash
rinse
Iron-X
rinse
Clay
rinse
Polish
Seal of your choice
LSP

Bill1234
04-22-2013, 07:28 PM
probably how I will do it
wheels clean then iron x
strip wash (dawn and mothers 50 50)
rinse
iron x car
full rinse
dry with guzzler
maybe light paint correction if needed
tire shine and blow off water

Bill1234
04-22-2013, 07:40 PM
That day when I find one will be ultimate detail day.
rims cleaned then iron x with rinse
wash 50 50 strip
iron x paint
rinse
single step correction such m205 on red microfiber
final wipe
collinite 845 the whole car
process should take about 6-7 hours lol

JDGolden
04-22-2013, 07:44 PM
Does the paint need to be dry while applying Iron-x or can I wash and leave the paint wet then apply it?

Newdetailer1
04-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Does the paint need to be dry while applying Iron-x or can I wash and leave the paint wet then apply it?

You want the car wet when you apply to the paint. Do not apply in direct sun (or at least try not to). I just did this to a truck I detailed. Check out a 2000 dodge truck in the show and shine section

Bill1234
04-22-2013, 08:44 PM
My car is not that dirty, but it does accumulate dirt and dust on rims and paint fast.

JDGolden
04-22-2013, 08:55 PM
You want the car wet when you apply to the paint. Do not apply in direct sun (or at least try not to). I just did this to a truck I detailed. Check out a 2000 dodge truck in the show and shine section

I am going to do it in my garage (door and all windows open, it's like an air tunnel) that way it's out of the sunlight. Thanks!

AutowerxDetailing
04-22-2013, 10:03 PM
I am going to do it in my garage (door and all windows open, it's like an air tunnel) that way it's out of the sunlight. Thanks!

If you are not in the sun you can use iron-x on dry paint. If the panels are wet the iron-x will be diluted. However, if the panels are wet the iron-x will not dry so fast and will be able to work longer...

I usually half-a$$ dry the car, treat with iron-x, let dwell until almost starts to dry, agitate with soapy mitt, let dwell, rinse.

Bill1234
04-23-2013, 06:57 AM
I will probably strip wax to get the most out of the iron x. The car will probably not sheet water,but let it sit on the top. I will probably then iron x after the car is slightly drier

PiPUK
04-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Using any product based on the neutral pH, bleeding technology should be preceeded by a regular cleaner otherwise you will end up using some of that expensive technology on loose (unbonded) contamination which simply did not need it. This is especially true on wheels - most times I hear of problems here, the user has sprayed onto a ton of loose dust to get a massive color change but by the time it has done so, there is no chemical remaining to deal with bonded contamination. If you can affor multiple applications, use the product without a previous wash, if you are more thrifty, you will get the same results for less money, with a prewash.