PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning my tires right?

Pages : [1] 2

cctaylor88
04-22-2013, 02:10 PM
I have never owned a set of black wheels and would like to know how exactly I should go about cleaning them. After they are rinsed with water and/or soap I would really like to give the tires that "wet" look...but have had trouble with this in the past. I purchased some gel last summer and I really didn't like it much so I am thinking about going with a spray. I take it you guys recommend some hot shine?

So if I want to clean my tires and give them that lasting wet look what would you suggest? Rinse with water and then apply some spray to a cloth rag and go about it that way? In the past when I go for the wet look it took an incredible amount of work when using the gel, or maybe it was a cheap brand but it didn't seem worth the effort and some spots on the tire would look wet while others barely did at all. Also, I have never went about "protecting" my rims or putting any type of sealer (I don't know if that's the right word to use) on them but wouldn't mind adding the step.

I know this is a lot but this is the place to come. So a quick recap... I really just want to clean my rims (should I do it wet or dry) and then follow up with that wet tire look and would like to know the best products and best method to go about it. Wouldn't mind adding a protector of sorts either.

Thanks!

Setec Astronomy
04-22-2013, 02:59 PM
I'm not sure I'm quite following you...are you wanting to clean the tire or the wheel or both?

The tire needs to be cleaned with a cleaner and a scrub brush. If you have been using greasy-kid-stuff tire shine, it will take a LOT of scrubbing, rinsing, and repeating. You can use an APC (All-Purpose Cleaner) or a tire cleaner like this: Mothers Mothers Foaming Wheel & Tire Cleaner cleans & maintains coated, painted, polished and anodized wheels without pitting the coating or corroding (http://www.autogeek.net/mo05924.html) which will also work for cleaning the wheel.

Once you have cleaned all the old dressing and brown gunk off the tire you will find that your dressing will look better and last longer.

hernandez.art13
04-22-2013, 03:47 PM
I had always thought tires and wheels were the same thing. I always called wheels, rims.

Tires = rubber
Wheels = Rims

RedXray
04-22-2013, 04:21 PM
I had always thought tires and wheels were the same thing. I always called wheels, rims.

Tires = rubber
Wheels = Rims

Rims or Rimz is a ghetto slang for wheels and most us older guys probably don't speak of wheels as rims. Automobiles have wheels, if you buy or order a new car with upgraded wheels, alloy wheels etc. , that is what the invoice will reflect. Ever watched an automobile race on TV and heard the crew chief say "we had a rim issue from loose lug nuts"... not likely. When you talk cars, if this is your line of work, you should use the proper names of the part(s) you are referring to, it just sounds more professional. Kinda like a group of guys discussing guns and someone uses the word "clip". We all know they are referring to a "magazine" and that person probably is not very gun savvy. If your going to walk the walk, learn how to talk the talk IMO.

hernandez.art13
04-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Mhmm that's why I am hear learning...
Just trying to help maybe he didnt know...

hernandez.art13
04-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Mhmm that's why I am hear learning...
Just trying to help maybe he didnt know...

swanicyouth
04-22-2013, 04:48 PM
Use Tuff Shine Tire cleaner and their tire brush. Only thing I know of that removes all the silicone dressing from old tires. I've scrubbed tires to death with APCs, then TTC removed stuff you didn't even know was there.

From this:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/23/amuvusy8.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/23/2y2ury2e.jpg

To this:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/23/ejebe7yp.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/23/5uqynada.jpg

Tire was 13 years old and hung from the spare tire carrier under the vehicle for 13 years. 13 years of dirt, tar, and road dust. Tire has TS clear coat on it. .

It's one of the few products I buy by the gallon, because I'm pretty sure nothing better is coming around.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/23/ehymy7u7.jpg

AC in OC
04-22-2013, 04:48 PM
Here's a couple good threads that should provide you with the info you are looking for...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/36137-how-properly-clean-protect-maintain-wheels-tires.html

You may not have all the tools/products mentioned, but if you stick around on this forum long enough it's bound to happen: a $100+ order... more than once.

This is also a good method to taking the hard work out of cleaning tires: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/62454-best-darn-tire-cleaning-brush-i-ve-ever-used.html

quiksilver_ben3
04-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Rims or Rimz is a ghetto slang for wheels and most us older guys probably don't speak of wheels as rims. Automobiles have wheels, if you buy or order a new car with upgraded wheels, alloy wheels etc. , that is what the invoice will reflect. Ever watched an automobile race on TV and heard the crew chief say "we had a rim issue from loose lug nuts"... not likely. When you talk cars, if this is your line of work, you should use the proper names of the part(s) you are referring to, it just sounds more professional. Kinda like a group of guys discussing guns and someone uses the word "clip". We all know they are referring to a "magazine" and that person probably is not very gun savvy. If your going to walk the walk, learn how to talk the talk IMO.

Agree, rims are a section of a wheel.

ScottB
04-22-2013, 05:26 PM
If looking to make painted rims (black or silver) look glossier, try using Blackfires Crystal Sealant after cleaning them properly. It will bead like crazy and looks great too.

daveinsweethome
04-22-2013, 05:56 PM
didnt know tuff shine was sold in gallons. great stuff. i use their dressing too on my own car. 4 coats on 6 hours after buying car. also sealed the new niche wheels too have been using reload to keep slick. all is working great. on some customers beaters i have found amor all ( i know....) spray cleaner / dressing. $4.58 at home depot and looks great for about a week. lots of shine and no rub.

Dimetera413
04-22-2013, 07:49 PM
Tuff Shine Rubber Cleaner is the best cleaner out there, seriously. I spray the stuff on tires and within 5 seconds you can see old dressing, dirt, grime, and EVERYTHING else just melting off. If you're looking for a cheap and quick tire gel, go to Walmart and get Black Diamond Tire Gel. 10 bucks and it's very good. If you want to step it up a notch than get PERL from CarPro which can be bought here on autogeek.

dc52nv
04-22-2013, 08:09 PM
Most OTC (over the counter) tire dressings/gels work decently. If you are not getting good results it's more than likely due to not properly prepping the tire before you apply the product.

I use Optimum OPC diluted 1:3 to clean my tires. After I get white lather when scrubbing down my tires, I'll rinse it off and apply some Tuf Shine wheel cleaner just to make sure I didn't miss anything. Tuf Shine is the best tire cleaner out there but it's too pricey, for me anyway, so I only use it when needed.

neat e34
04-23-2013, 04:14 AM
Meguiars Super Degreaser (@ 4:1 to start with) & a stiff brush is also great for cleaning tyres.

cctaylor88
04-24-2013, 10:30 AM
Okay well I keep hearing the word "dressing" and being brand new here you can only assume how I feel. I am going to take a guess and say that the "dressing" everyone refers to is the final product you put on the tire (be it tire wet or some sort of chrome polish etc) to "dress" it up. I purchased Meguiars Hot Shine tire spray for that wet look and although it looked decent at best it didn't really have that really wet black look to it.

I think my problem is that I haven't hand scrubbed my actual tires in a really long time, I usually just take my car to the spray booth and do it that way. So what I am going to do is purchase a tire (rubber) cleaner and brush and go at the rubber the old fashioned way. Wouldn't this make my tires look much more wet after applying the "dressing?" After reading through your comments I believe my mistake is that I haven't CLEANED the rubber very well...

So any suggestions? I basically need a product specialized for rubber or should i just get an OTC AIO product? And what should I purchase for the wheel itself...its black by the way. Step 1, clean/scrub rubber. Step 2, what can I apply to my wheels in order to make them shine black and/or protect them from grime etc? Step 3, Apply my "dressing" which currently my only dressing is a tire wet spray.

Thanks so far!