PDA

View Full Version : UWW+ as a QD?

flhden
04-22-2013, 01:18 PM
Recently purchased my first bottle of UWW+ concentrate and I tried a waterless clean up on my wife's Lexus (Starfire Pearl) I must admit I was quite concerned about scratching the clear coat even though the car was not that dirty, so I stopped after a short practice area where I thought I could see scratching taking place. And yes I did research and watch countless videos on proper use of this product. I have since been using it for door jambs and water spot removal after a traditional wash and for that it seems fine. My question is, If I use it for a quick detailer on my Vet over a polish will I be removing the polish as it does contain surfactants? I use detail sprays very frequently and I am always searching for the best detailer on the market. Any opinions on the CG v7 hybrid or recommendations of a favorite detailer?

silverfox
04-22-2013, 02:02 PM
UWW is safer to use than any detail spray, so no, it won't hurt your paint surface. It will add some protection if anything...not remove.

I think quick detailers are being used less and less in favor waterless wash products such as UWW...but if I had to choose a QD it would have to be a spray sealant-wax such as Meguiars D156. V7 is also a good choice. There are many options.

cleanmycorolla
04-22-2013, 02:05 PM
UWW+ itself won't cause marring, the towel you used did. If you use a quality towel, or a towel dedicated for waterless washes it may not happen just depends on your paint....also, was this car polished recently and swirl free, ensuring the waterless wash you did caused marring? Also how dirty was the car, sometimes cars or too dirty for a rinseless or waterless and you'll no doubt cause marring.....

UWW+ is a great product, and when I use it properly, I have never seen it cause marring on my cars, and I've probably done hundreds of UWW+ waterless washes....

Good luck

flhden
04-28-2013, 08:43 PM
Update on UWW+. After a shaky start with this product I am learning to love it. I am still somewhat afraid to use it as a waterless wash on my Vet for fear I would screw it up, but for light dust removal like a QD or for use following a regular wash it is fabulous. As silverfox stated it leaves a protective water beading finish not only on the paint but even better on the glass. Did my truck with it including all the glass and it beads up on the windshield in the rain, and the wipers clear it away like I have never seen before. Kind of like what I would expect from Rain X. Another go to product thanks to the recommendations from this great forum.:xyxthumbs:

WRXINXS
04-29-2013, 07:24 AM
What kind of Microfibers do you guys use with UWW+ for a quick detail or waterless wash?

I tried it the other day (QD) with blue rolled edge towels and it soaked the towels very fast and kept streaking on my black paint.

Quiksilver5882
04-29-2013, 09:19 AM
Try a waffle weave style towel. Waffle weaves are great because they don't drink up the product. Regular microfibers tend to absorb a lot of the product.

slimnib
04-29-2013, 10:03 AM
What is UWW?

kimtyson
04-29-2013, 10:28 AM
What is UWW?
Ultima Waterless Wash. Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Concentrate, concentrated waterless auto wash, waterless car wash (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-waterless-wash-concentrate.html)
This forum loves acronyms. There is a glossery on here somewhere with all the different acronyms.

WRXINXS
04-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Try a waffle weave style towel. Waffle weaves are great because they don't drink up the product. Regular microfibers tend to absorb a lot of the product.

Might be too harsh on soft paint? Although I do have a good number of Sonus WW drying towels so maybe I will give them a try

swanicyouth
04-29-2013, 12:16 PM
What kind of Microfibers do you guys use with UWW+ for a quick detail or waterless wash?

I tried it the other day (QD) with blue rolled edge towels and it soaked the towels very fast and kept streaking on my black paint.

I always use 2 towels. Assuming the car is clean, a waffle weave to spread it, and a plush towel to buff it dry. If you try to do it with one towel, it will become saturated and streak by the third panel.

swanicyouth
04-29-2013, 12:21 PM
I bought a set of 10 of these 16x27 waffle weave towels just for stuff like this. They are great for anything wet. And, they are small enough you can just keep switching to clean ones.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/30/za9utyja.jpg

They are the light ones folded on the back right. The darker ones are from AG and sold as "glass towels". They are around the same size. They are great for this as well.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/30/jehazema.jpg

Rsurfer
04-29-2013, 01:42 PM

Waffle weaves are drying towels and will absorb as much liquid if not more than a mf towel.

WRXINXS
04-29-2013, 04:29 PM
I'll try the waffle weave idea Swanic, Thanks!

flhden
04-29-2013, 06:14 PM
I have had great luck using a 2 towel system. I lightly spray a small section maybe like 2x3 then wipe with these towels lightly turning frequently as the towel gets damp.
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h343/flhden/Smartwaxmicrodfiber_zps92ee0725.jpg
Then follow up with a final buffing with a Woobie borderless towel , which I love BTW.
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h343/flhden/woobies_zps033eaf2d.gif