PDA

View Full Version : Neighbor Hosed Down My SUV...WTH?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

02xtreme07SS
04-22-2013, 12:05 PM
So....where to start with my rant/horror story. I knew I had a busy weekend coming up and with some of the places my wife and I were visiting, I decided to just rent a car to avoid any potential damage that would occur in some of the lots we would be parking. With the Enterprise deals it was like $32 for the weekend. Cheap insurance, right? Let me set the scene. My three garage bays are almost always taken with my wife's SUV and my other two garage queens, so like any other day, I left my new SUV in the driveway. My driveway is on the west side of my house and has full sun exposure from 10am until sunset.

We were out all day and had a great weekend. When I got home last night around 11pm, I noticed the hood on my truck had water on it. What the??? Weird. I looked all over the place trying to figure out where the water was from. I had my B-I-L looking too. It was only on my hood. I grabbed my Brinkmann and to my shock and horror, I found that the entire front clip of the truck had been wet at some point and what wasn't still wet had baked off from being in the sun all day.

After looking a little further, I can see where my disrespectful and ignorant neighbor watered her yard, but that's at least 15' away from my truck and nowhere near anything that actually required water, i.e. no vegetation of any kind in the direction of my truck. Needless to say, I was and still am livid. To ease my mind, I did a little ONR on a small spot last night and I didn't see any etching, but I will have to look further once I give it a complete 2-bucket wash after a good foaming. With full sun during the afternoon and evening it's going to be a challenge to wash it without creating more issues, but it's driving me nuts. I may have to stew on this until the weekend.

The worst part about it is that I can't really do anything about it. The only people that will listen to me complain about it are my wife and my fellow Autogeeks. So much for taking precautions, apparently my private driveway is just as dangerous as public parking lots.

mavin
04-22-2013, 12:11 PM
She probably thought she was helping you out?

Having your car hosed down would not bother 99% of the population.

mwoolfso
04-22-2013, 12:13 PM
That makes no sense at all. I wonder if it was just bad placement of the sprinkler. While I can be a pretty sarcastic person, I always try to assume positive intent until I have facts that show staying on that course will not maintain balance.

I have a similar problem with grass clippings entering my driveway and the buggers never picking up that stuff. I don't particularly mind since the clippings get carried away by either me (when I mow), the wind or rain. Every now and again I will blow the clippings over their way (hoping to send a passive message. Still, one would think common courtesy would be recognized by neighborly neighbors.

runrun411
04-22-2013, 12:13 PM
To avoid any water spot issues just do an ONR using the Gary Dean method with a few MFs and use distilled water.

6supersport7
04-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Next time you see her, get your hose out and hose her down lol. I would really think your best bet is to just inform your neighbor about how bad the sitting water is on your car in the full sun. Ask her next time if she could be more cautious. I'd like to think it was an honest mistake.

02xtreme07SS
04-22-2013, 12:18 PM
She knows she wasn't helping me out. I'm outside EVERY weekend washing one of the vehicles. Nothing is ever left to 'air dry', ever. This was the only weekend in months that I haven't washed and only because I wanted to spend some time with my wife.

It's not sprinker placement as there isn't one. She just uses a trigger nozzle, so she really had to try to get my car wet based on where it was and where she would need to water. I'm chalking it up to an accident on her part, but that doesn't make me any less furious about the situation.

She doesn't own a car because she works close by her home. She either doesn't get it or doesn't care, either way, she has definitely burned her bridges with me.

02xtreme07SS
04-22-2013, 12:21 PM
To avoid any water spot issues just do an ONR using the Gary Dean method with a few MFs and use distilled water.

I won't lie...I'm scared to death of doing a complete ONR washing with any method, including the GD. I have ONR for spot issues from time to time but I've never done a complete wash with it. I could do in the bay where my wife usually parks this afternoon if need be, I'm just scared to death of doing any damage. Maybe I'll devote some time to learning how to do it correctly before attempting it tonight.

runrun411
04-22-2013, 12:35 PM
I won't lie...I'm scared to death of doing a complete ONR washing with any method, including the GD. I have ONR for spot issues from time to time but I've never done a complete wash with it. I could do in the bay where my wife usually parks this afternoon if need be, I'm just scared to death of doing any damage. Maybe I'll devote some time to learning how to do it correctly before attempting it tonight.

If you do one panel at a time (wet, wipe, dry using very soft MFs) you'll see there's no need for worry.

As for the neighbor, let her know if she pees on your porch you'll s*** in her back yard.

ihaveacamaro
04-22-2013, 12:42 PM

Nothing to be afraid of. It works and works damn well. Safe for your paint too :)

I made a video explaining how to do it because I found the original was a bit too long and confusing:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr7JoC8ANog]Rinseless Wash with Optimum No Rinse - Garry Dean Wash Method - YouTube[/video]

As for the neighbor, let her know if she pees on your porch you'll s*** in her back yard.

:laughing:

dc52nv
04-22-2013, 12:53 PM
Back in the day while using a trigger nozzle to wash my cars, the nozzle would land on its handle causing the nozzle to shoot water out. I'm wondering if something similar happened to her.

thebamboo23
04-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Overreacting

Dogfather
04-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Three garage bays, two GQs. God bless you for all you've achieved through your hard work. Alas, I feel your pain, but only so much.

02xtreme07SS
04-22-2013, 01:12 PM
If you do one panel at a time (wet, wipe, dry using very soft MFs) you'll see there's no need for worry.

Trust me, I'd like to. But as my wife reminds me, my SUV sits in the driveway all the time. Things escalate and then polishing out some minor waterspots turns into repaints when someone keys it. I'll take the former.

Nothing to be afraid of. It works and works damn well. Safe for your paint too :)

I made a video explaining how to do it because I found the original was a bit too long and confusing:

Rinseless Wash with Optimum No Rinse - Garry Dean Wash Method - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr7JoC8ANog)

:laughing:

You're the man! I'll be watching.

Back in the day while using a trigger nozzle to wash my cars, the nozzle would land on its handle causing the nozzle to shoot water out. I'm wondering if something similar happened to her.

Yes, I've been reminded of that many a time when it's 40 degrees out and I drop the hose. That burst of water will definitely wake you up in the morning.

Overreacting

You think? How so? Overreacting at the potential of diminished value or for being upset at the neighbor?

Three garage bays, two GQs. God bless you for all you've achieved through your hard work. Alas, I feel your pain, but only so much.

It hasn't been easy, but I was raised to work hard and reward yourself when you can. I've done that. I'm content, but I don't really have the time I would like to enjoy what I have, which is why setting aside this weekend for the wife was so important to me. She is what really matters at the end of the day. Everything else can be replaced.

Dogfather
04-22-2013, 01:33 PM
You seem to have your priorities perfectly in order.

ixnod
04-22-2013, 01:46 PM
She may have been mesmerized by the sheeting action of your SUV.

But I would seriously have a talk with the neighbor detailing the nature of the perceived infraction and hopefully come to an amicable agreement.