PDA

View Full Version : Claying in direct sunlight?

Judge
04-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Here's a question for you mobile guys. When you are at a customer's residence, and you have no way of avoiding working in full sun exposure, do you still clay? Or is it better to just go straight to an AIO to clean the paint?
I have yet to attempt claying in these conditions, as i picture my speedy prep towel becoming tacky and sticking to the paint. I'm sure there are varying opinions to this but I would like to get a general consensus.

rmagnus
04-21-2013, 10:05 PM
Claying is sunlight isn't a problem. Just rinse more frequently. Better to remove contaminants before polishing. This is where an ez-up can help.

ihaveacamaro
04-21-2013, 10:13 PM
use more lube! I have no choice but to do ALL aspects of detailing in the sun so I can attest that it will still work.

Nth Degree
04-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Simply rinse the car to lower the temperature of the surface. As long as it's not hot to the touch you'll be okay.

Judge
04-22-2013, 09:47 AM
So instead of drying the car after washing, I should just go straight to claying? And continue to rinse as I go panel by panel?

af90
04-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Personally I'm not a fan of using water for clay and I think not drying it causes more water spots and allows dust to stick to the car. I prefer drying, then claying and wiping each panel dry one by one.

DRT BRD
04-22-2013, 10:18 AM
IF I'm claying in the sun, I'll use a traditional clay bar. If not, Speedy Prep towel it is with Meguiars Last Touch 1:1 as lube.

DRT BRD
04-22-2013, 10:19 AM
So instead of drying the car after washing, I should just go straight to claying? And continue to rinse as I go panel by panel?

Yes. Wash, rinse, spray your lube on and clay. Rinse again and repeat on all surfaces. Give a final rinse and then dry.

Judge
04-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Claying is sunlight isn't a problem. Just rinse more frequently. Better to remove contaminants before polishing. This is where an ez-up can help.

use more lube! I have no choice but to do ALL aspects of detailing in the sun so I can attest that it will still work.

Simply rinse the car to lower the temperature of the surface. As long as it's not hot to the touch you'll be okay.

Personally I'm not a fan of using water for clay and I think not drying it causes more water spots and allows dust to stick to the car. I prefer drying, then claying and wiping each panel dry one by one.

IF I'm claying in the sun, I'll use a traditional clay bar. If not, Speedy Prep towel it is with Meguiars Last Touch 1:1 as lube.

Yes. Wash, rinse, spray your lube on and clay. Rinse again and repeat on all surfaces. Give a final rinse and then dry.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I guess I'm a little concerned about getting water spots, but that method is worth an attempt. I will probably try both ways. Now has anybody used the prep towel in these conditions? I've only used it on cool panels so far, so I'm wondering if the hot paint would melt it. Is the bar a safer choice in this circumstance?

rustytruck
04-22-2013, 05:50 PM
I always clay. When In the sun I never really have a problem. One panel at a time.

thebamboo23
04-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Make sure you wipe down after each panel or rinse off every so often. The lube will dry on the panel and will look pretty nasty.. Easy to remove, but doesn't look well if someone sees your 'work'

VP Mark
04-24-2013, 08:25 AM
I clay in the sun all the time. Use plenty of lubricant and wipe the panel down when you are done with it.

Dogfather
04-24-2013, 10:17 AM
Non-pro here.When it's warm I simultaneously spray lube with my left hand while claying with my right. UWW+ is that economical.