PDA

View Full Version : engine cleaning with steamer

Kyle@PrecisionPolish
04-21-2013, 03:08 PM
I have seen a lot of tutorials using degreaser then scrubbing and washing. My question is will all that be necessary if I have a vx 5000 steamer?

If the grease is that tough can I degrease it and then steam it off or will the steam be too hot to use with a degreaser?

I'm thinking the steam alone should be sufficient to clean the engine bay. Thoughts?

Thank you.

Anthony@zerboautoworks
04-21-2013, 03:31 PM
I would spray degreaser, agitate then steam away.

Kyle@PrecisionPolish
04-21-2013, 03:36 PM
That's what I figured I just wasn't sure in the steam would bake on the degreaser.

silvermesa
04-21-2013, 03:55 PM
I tried steaming my engine compartment a few weeks ago with my VX-5000. This engine had been cleaned 2x prior over the last year with degreaser and water and was relatively clean. I found that for surgical or pin point type cleaning the steamer worked fine. However to me, it seemed like i was "trying to put out a large fire with a water hose", meaning degreaser and water is much more effective and quicker.

Others may feel different about it and their technique may have been different.

The VX-5000 shines for interior cleaning in my opinion and not so much for total exterior or engine cleaning. Spot cleaning on these exterior areas works fine though.

AeroCleanse
04-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Depends of your level of patience. I have used a steamer alone to clean an engine.