PDA

View Full Version : Water Based Spray Dressing Questions

Velocitybts
04-20-2013, 10:53 PM
Hopefully you guys can help me out??? I can't seem to find products who list their spray dressings as water based. I cannot use a spray for wheel wells and underbody if silicone based due to driveway marring. I feel like an idiot out in the street spraying someone's car. I usually clean the wells and what I can reach under the body as well as I can and leave them. It does save effort cleaning the next time around. Any ideas, that won't leave white spots all over the driveway????? Thanks

PiPUK
04-21-2013, 12:09 AM
Water based dressings are often still silicones, so beware. A rough guide for identifying a water based product is that it will typically take the form of an opaque emulsion - white naturally but can be dyed. Solvent based products are typically clear liquids.

Velocitybts
04-21-2013, 12:25 AM
Thanks, I appreciate the info. I might try a old bottle of the Zaino CS sealant that I have laying around. See how that works on one wheel well and go from there.

cardaddy
04-21-2013, 12:39 AM
I hear ya' with not wanting to slick up their driveway, but as Mr. Megane said, even silicone is still water based these days. FWIW you can check with the various manufacturers as to if their product is safely diluted with water.

I still use them, (water based) I just spray on a towel and wipe the wheel wells. Only very little do I spray directly into/onto the wheel wells.

303 is about the least slick you'll find, either that or PERL. Both of them are water based, yet I don't find either one 'slick' when compared to a solvent based silicone product.

AeroCleanse
04-21-2013, 09:18 AM
1z Vinyl-Rubber is what I currently use.

jrs1418
04-21-2013, 02:07 PM
Perl is good and so is Megs Hyper Dressing and Freedom Tire Shine

NewNickel
04-21-2013, 02:38 PM
I work around body shops and finally ended up going with TireNu from Malco. Digging through and trying to decipher what I could use from MSDS listings was growing tiresome.

ScottB
04-21-2013, 04:00 PM
303 Protectant ...

Velocitybts
04-21-2013, 10:16 PM
I greatly appreciate all the answers here. I really prefer the matte, like new look, of plastics including the wheel wells. I hate cleaning all the gunk from them after spraying with a dressing. I think I will try the 303 or 1z, which in many threads seems to be quite popular. Wipe on with a towel and then after a bit wipe again to get any extra residue for a pure clean look. Once again thanks for the many answers.

cardaddy
04-22-2013, 01:54 AM
FWIW 303 Will not be totally "matte" but its not super glossy. You might want to look at PERL. It can be diluted to about any gloss (or lack thereof). At 1:1 its glossy but at 5:1 its more like a sealant on the rubber and is almost no different than uncoated.

I like it at 3:1 for most applications.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AG Online

PA DETAILER
04-22-2013, 07:02 AM
i use MEGS HD for the wheel wells. 4:1

SOWA

rmagnus
04-22-2013, 12:30 PM
Put down a tarp, drive over it do the wheels, let them dry back up the car remove and fold up the tarp go collect your money and move on to the next project.

I always do tires and wheels second to last. When they are drying I clean all the glass by then the tires are dry. If not hit them with a leaf blower to speed the drying.

Works for me. No stains no fuss no muss.