PDA

View Full Version : First time with the DA, had some issues

TheGoo34
04-19-2013, 10:07 PM
I bought the griots newest third gen polisher and finally got around to using it today. I washed and clay bar'd my car and then whipped out out my polisher. I did a test spot and found out my optimum compound II with a yellow pad was going to be my best bet. Before I had a lot of swirls, and don't get me wrong, they aren't as bad now as they were, but there are still a lot of swirls that remain. My product was dusting so much that it was just covering my windows completely. I used the towel method of cleaning the pad on the fly along with using a pad brush that came with y kit. The product was also caking onto the pad and was complelty dry.

I primed the pad completely then did 3 pea sized drops and did about. 20x20 area 3-4 passes. And there are still a lot of swirls in the sun. My wife came home and said, "I still see swirls, that was a waste of money." I also used an orange 6" pad that came with my kit and it worked better than my 5.5" flat lc yellow and orange pads. Still caked up and left swirls behind, but it was slightly better.

Do you think I need to buy some better pads or a compound with more cut? I use the 6 pack of 5.5" pads for $35 from here, maybe those aren't good enough for my clear? Idk, but i need to figure something out because there are still swirls. I was thinking of heading to autozone tomorrow to pick up m105 and try that.

Any ideas?

wukin
04-19-2013, 10:18 PM
Towel method doesnt work on true DA polisher. Don't waste money on M105 for now. You'll only get more frustrating with M105 as a beginner. From my point of view, I think you used too much product that cause heavy dusty and too much product decreases the cutting power significantly. Even though you said primed the pad, are you sure do it correctly? http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/35292-how-prime-foam-pad-when-using-da-polisher.html

john b
04-19-2013, 10:25 PM
sounds like you were useing way to much product and working it to long.what was your primeing method?

MarkD51
04-19-2013, 10:28 PM
I bought the griots newest third gen polisher and finally got around to using it today. I washed and clay bar'd my car and then whipped out out my polisher. I did a test spot and found out my optimum compound II with a yellow pad was going to be my best bet. Before I had a lot of swirls, and don't get me wrong, they aren't as bad now as they were, but there are still a lot of swirls that remain. My product was dusting so much that it was just covering my windows completely. I used the towel method of cleaning the pad on the fly along with using a pad brush that came with y kit. The product was also caking onto the pad and was complelty dry.

I primed the pad completely then did 3 pea sized drops and did about. 20x20 area 3-4 passes. And there are still a lot of swirls in the sun. My wife came home and said, "I still see swirls, that was a waste of money." I also used an orange 6" pad that came with my kit and it worked better than my 5.5" flat lc yellow and orange pads. Still caked up and left swirls behind, but it was slightly better.

Do you think I need to buy some better pads or a compound with more cut? I use the 6 pack of 5.5" pads for $35 from here, maybe those aren't good enough for my clear? Idk, but i need to figure something out because there are still swirls. I was thinking of heading to autozone tomorrow to pick up m105 and try that.

Any ideas?

It might help to tell us what kind, year of vehicle?

Many folks say M105 is also a dust monster.

Are you sure you are properly describing "swirls", or is there more than just swirling?
(meaning deeper scratches, and more paint damage than just swirling?)

Mike Phillips touches on a tendency of most newbies using too fast arm movement when using a DA, and I'm guilty of such myself when I first got my Porter Cable DA, and I believe it relates to a fear of damaging the paint.

You might need to slow down your passes, and as well need to try a different combo of polishes, and pads.

Perhaps try M205, or Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover? Better to succeed with gentler products.

john b
04-19-2013, 10:35 PM
somethin else to consider with optimum is chris is on ago alot to answer optimum questions.thats the good thing with optimum always haveing a presence online.

spiralout462
04-19-2013, 10:41 PM
Unless I glazed over it, I don't think you mentioned what speed you were using on your machine? Did you ensure the pad was rotating enough?

maximus20895
04-19-2013, 10:41 PM
Could it be possible that you got rid of most of the swirls, but you left others behind because of the compound?

Maybe you just need to follow up with a polish.

spiralout462
04-19-2013, 10:43 PM
Could it be possible that you got rid of most of the swirls, but you left others behind because of the compound?

Maybe you just need to follow up with a polish.

:iagree: I haven't met a compound yet that will finish LSP ready on my soft paint.

TheGoo34
04-19-2013, 11:08 PM
How do you guys suggest cleaning a pad on the fly with a true da that doesn't have forced rotation? I looked up all the cleaning meathods for on the fly, but what I did was just run inside, soak it with the pad cleaner spray and then scrub the pad with the brush/work the product with my fingers, rinsed it and let it dry near a heater vent. And just used my second pad.

My car is a Solar Yellow Dodge Neon SRT4. I was on speed 6, trust me when I say this, I didn't go fast over the car with the polisher, I went slow and applied roughly 15lbs of pressure and making sure the pad was rotating quickly with the sharpie trick on the backing plate. I primed the pad by doing the circle with the polish and then with a glove on, spread the product with my finger making sure to cover the pad with product.

I will try not using as much product and seeing what that does. I am not affraid of burning through the paint, I have been searching, learning, watching and digesting this forum and the youtube videos so I have a pretty good understanding of how to work this machine. Now, my car DOES look a million times better than it did before, but there are still some swirls along with RIDS and tracers. But idk how some of you guys get absolutely no rids and stuff when you do corrections...

I finished it up with the Optimum final finish, but i'll try some of the things you guys said tomorrow when I have more time. Do you guys suggest always polishing a car indoors or if the weather is sunny and 40* is it ok to polish outside? I'm in Alaska so it's only 42* as a high right now but 100% sunny.

Any other ideas?