PDA

View Full Version : Pearlized finish

jtempo
04-18-2013, 12:50 PM
Is this type of finish treated any different,when waxing,then other car finishes?Is there any product or products out there?

Fishincricket
04-18-2013, 12:53 PM
Please define "pearlized finish"?

jtempo
04-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Well the spec from the maker calls the finish,snow white pearl.I'm a rookie at this,but the paint has some"depth" to it.Not as shiny as most finishes.

hernandez.art13
04-18-2013, 01:05 PM
I think it's 3 stage?

hernandez.art13
04-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Post a picture

ScottB
04-18-2013, 01:12 PM
I had a Cadillac with pearl red paint option, I polished it just as I did normal clearcoat. The dealer once suggested the clearcoat was tinted with a pearl additive.

Fishincricket
04-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Well the spec from the maker calls the finish,snow white pearl.I'm a rookie at this,but the paint has some"depth" to it.Not as shiny as most finishes.

This should be a base coat/clear coat system, but double check with the manufacturer/dealer. The parts guys can tell you for sure, based upon your VIN. Most likely it's a Tri-coat, but if so then the final coat of paint will be a clear coat and you'd just polish it like any other BC/CC system.

Remember to always do a test spot.

I had a Cadillac with pearl red paint option, I polished it just as I did normal clearcoat. The dealer once suggested the clearcoat was tinted with a pearl additive.

You had a "red jewel Tintcoat" which actually has a light red tint in the clear coat.

Mike Phillips
04-18-2013, 01:25 PM
Since it's pearl white, it might be hard to see if any "tinting" or color is coming off the surface when you polish. So it would be best to do some research to find out.

Most cars have a basecoat/colorcoat finish, that is clear paint is sprayed over the color coat. What this means is if you have a black basecoat/clearcoat finish, when you polish the paint you won't see black color or pigment coming off the car and onto your buffing pad because you're not working on black paint, you're working on clear paint.

If you wee working on a tinted clear, you could see color coming off when you buff on the clear coat layer because it would have a "little" color added to the clear. Except, read my first sentence...

Also, click the link below and read my article as it has pictures showing all three types of paint and the results from buffing on them...

Single Stage Paint - Tinted Clears - Basecoat/Clearcoat - Embedded Dirt (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/43347-types-paint-single-stage-paint-tinted-clears-basecoat-clearcoat-embedded-dirt.html)

Regardless of the type of paint you have you're still going to polish it like normal and follow the sage advice I share in this article,

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done" (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/28505-use-least-aggressive-product-get-job-done.html)

:)

hernandez.art13
04-18-2013, 01:26 PM
IMO I would just buy some Meguiars ultimate wax and wax it after washing it. No biggy...

Cant exactly tell with no pictures.

mwoolfso
04-18-2013, 01:54 PM
I think it's 3 stage?

It is either an additional layer between base and clear or additives (powder) mixed in with the base coat.

mwoolfso
04-18-2013, 01:56 PM
I just found this as I searched for something related to body shops and pearl finishes.

BodyWorks: The DOs and DON'Ts of Refinishing Pearl Tricoats: Tomorrow's Technician (http://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/Article/48555/bodyworks_the_dos_and_donts_of_refinishing_pearl_t ricoats.aspx)

jtempo
04-18-2013, 03:10 PM
ok,thanks I will do a little more research just to be safe!