PDA

View Full Version : Melted chocolate out of carpets

cleanmycorolla
04-18-2013, 12:13 PM
So, any advice? It was half a Hershey's bar, I'm guessing steam is my only option huh?

Fishincricket
04-18-2013, 01:19 PM
Maybe try melting it again and vacuuming it up, then a stain remover for the resulting stains?

I am just guessing here, but hopefully my bumping it up will get you an experienced answer?

Johnnyboy
04-18-2013, 01:34 PM
I got my hands on some hot tap water....dipped some rags in it and started to wipe away at the chocolate (Didn't have steamer at the time) being careful not to spread it and after it was gone......final cleaning was with straight Folex and clean rag.

cleanmycorolla
04-18-2013, 01:38 PM
thanks guys, i had someone text me and say try ice??????

Bigbull2984
04-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Ice is correct. I take its not on a floor mat right. Freeze the spot and break up the chocolate. Vacuum before it melts and then use APC to clean the stain.

Dr_Pain
04-18-2013, 01:41 PM
I agree with the above. You either want to freeze..... or you want to remelt but not cook, so hot tap water with multiple rags to pick up most of the solids and then a good carpet pre-treatment/cleaner with a good interior brush should help resolve.

FYI, chocolate melting point is between 60-100 degrees (depending on the crystalline structure, so 120 degree tap should be more than enough to remelt. Worst mistake you could do is hit that stain with steamer or hot water extractor at 210-300 degrees which would permanently cook the stain in. Blotting rather than rubbing should be enough to remove the majority of the solids.

cleanmycorolla
04-18-2013, 01:45 PM
Maybe try melting it again and vacuuming it up, then a stain remover for the resulting stains?

I am just guessing here, but hopefully my bumping it up will get you an experienced answer?

I got my hands on some hot tap water....dipped some rags in it and started to wipe away at the chocolate (Didn't have steamer at the time) being careful not to spread it and after it was gone......final cleaning was with straight Folex and clean rag.

Ice is correct. I take its not on a floor mat right. Freeze the spot and break up the chocolate. Vacuum before it melts and then use APC to clean the stain.

I agree with the above. You either want to freeze..... or you want to remelt but not cook, so hot tap water with multiple rags to pick up most of the solids and then a good carpet pre-treatment/cleaner with a good interior brush should help resolve.

FYI, chocolate melting point is between 60-100 degrees (depending on the crystalline structure, so 120 degree tap should be more than enough to remelt. Worst mistake you could do is hit that stain with steamer or hot water extractor at 210-300 degrees which would permanently cook the stain in. Blotting rather than rubbing should be enough to remove the majority of the solids.

Okay, ice it is i will try it out. Dhaval, yes it's on the floor itself, it must've slid under the mat.

So i will ice it, chip it, i've got DA carpet brushes and my mothers ones and lots of folex....okay time to get some ice, thanks fellas...

jdmj0
04-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Let us know how it goes! Intrigued to say the least :D

rmagnus
04-18-2013, 05:00 PM
Okay, ice it is i will try it out. Dhaval, yes it's on the floor itself, it must've slid under the mat.

So i will ice it, chip it, i've got DA carpet brushes and my mothers ones and lots of folex....okay time to get some ice, thanks fellas...

Just thinking out loud thru my keyboard. Might want to put the ice in a ziplock bag. All your looking to do is freeze the chocolate. Your carpet brush and DA with Folex should do the trick.

Quiksilver5882
04-18-2013, 05:03 PM
If you know anyone with a bissell little green machine, that would do the trick!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-18-2013, 05:06 PM
Hope you get it out Chris.

BillE
04-19-2013, 07:37 AM
Do you have a janitorial supply nearby? If so, give them a call and see if they have "chewing gum remover."

It (at one time) was Freon. Nowadays, I don't know what the ingredients are. But back on subject, spray the 'object' let it set a moment or two, then 'chip' away the offending stuff.

The folks at the store can give you some help on the use also.

Bill

cardaddy
04-19-2013, 12:27 PM
Canned air works to freeze pretty much anything. Just hold it upside down. ;)

cleanmycorolla
04-23-2013, 11:22 AM
So I wanted to follow up with everyone, and say thanks for the help guys and gals! I first used ice, but due to the heat here in Los Angeles that day, the ice was melting rapdily. So I took Tony's tip and used some canned air, and between that and the ice, it totally worked.

Really everyone thanks, ya'll are lifesavers sometimes!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the update on what works. :xyxthumbs: