PDA

View Full Version : Some detailing questions

Pages : [1] 2

jproy12
04-18-2013, 07:45 AM
Alright, somewhat new to detailing, however, I've waxed lots of cars in the past, and all done by hand. Now I'm looking at detailing my car, and this time I'm trying to get more equipped with a Porter Cable polisher and the required stuff. I've got some swirls that I'd like to remove on my car and parents car, so looking at getting the Porter Cable 7424XP 5.5" with some pads and everything needed.

Here's my list of stuff that I have:
1002 Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax (No. 845)
1006 Collinite Liquid Sapphire Auto Wax #SS126 (16oz)
5404 CarPro IronX (32oz)
5444 CarPro TRIX Tar and Iron Remover
Chemical Guys Black on BLACK SPRAY DRESSING
Riccardo Blue Detailing Clay + Lubricant

Here's what I'm looking to buy to complete my kit:
Porter Cable 7424XP with 5" backing plate
Orange polishing pad
White polishing pad
Black polishing pad
Blue polishing pad
Meguiars #105
Meguiars #205

I've heard good things about the Meguiars, so I'll probably be sticking to that, but what I want to know is; should I be using a sealant after the polish and before the Collinite 845 wax? If so, which sealant?

I'll be doing these mostly on my car, which is white, but may do it on darker color cars, so need something that is good on all colors.

Thanks,
JP

jproy12
04-18-2013, 07:47 AM
I've read here on the forums that the Collinite 845 wax may be a sealant, if it is, can anyone suggest a good wax?

I just want to make sure that I have all bases covered before I start my job, so looking at getting polish, sealant then wax, which ones?

Thanks,
JP

zmcgovern45
04-18-2013, 07:53 AM
I would personally suggest ditching the M105 and going with the D300 and MF cutting pads.

M105 can be a PITA to work with, D300 on the other hand is fantastic.

I would also recommend getting 2-3 of each of the pads you had previously mentioned, as you will want to switch them out for a clean one while you are working every now and then.

Sealant is not required if you are waxing, but if you are going to do both then you will apply sealant before the wax.

845 is a very durable wax, so you would be fine simply using that, however there is nothing wrong with adding the extra protection of a sealant... there are tons of great ones to choose from. If you like Meguiar's check out M21 synthetic sealant.

jproy12
04-18-2013, 08:04 AM
I would personally suggest ditching the M105 and going with the D300 and MF cutting pads.

M105 can be a PITA to work with, D300 on the other hand is fantastic.

I would also recommend getting 2-3 of each of the pads you had previously mentioned, as you will want to switch them out for a clean one while you are working every now and then.

Sealant is not required if you are waxing, but if you are going to do both then you will apply sealant before the wax.

845 is a very durable wax, so you would be fine simply using that, however there is nothing wrong with adding the extra protection of a sealant... there are tons of great ones to choose from. If you like Meguiar's check out M21 synthetic sealant.
Thanks, I had in mind to get about 3pads of each. Also, is there anyway to prep a car for a complete detailing? As in remove any remaining wax residue before applying new polish/sealant/wax?

I'll be washing, them IronX - TriX, then Claybar, then polish, sealant and then wax, is there any steps before to clean the car free of any leftover wax?

As for sealant, I don't have any brand in mind, is there anything else good other than Mcguiars?

Thanks,
JP

Evan.J
04-18-2013, 08:08 AM
I tried posting but had an issue anyway. I would go with the Griots garage da more powerful and a lifetime warranty

I agree with the da microfiber correction kit and at the minimum of 2 of each pads to start

jproy12
04-18-2013, 08:25 AM
I tried posting but had an issue anyway. I would go with the Griots garage da more powerful and a lifetime warranty

I agree with the da microfiber correction kit and at the minimum of 2 of each pads to start
Thanks, I'll look into it!

Now, would like a bit more info on sealants and the preparation before detailing

zmcgovern45
04-18-2013, 08:32 AM
Thanks, I had in mind to get about 3pads of each. Also, is there anyway to prep a car for a complete detailing? As in remove any remaining wax residue before applying new polish/sealant/wax?

I'll be washing, them IronX - TriX, then Claybar, then polish, sealant and then wax, is there any steps before to clean the car free of any leftover wax?

As for sealant, I don't have any brand in mind, is there anything else good other than Mcguiars?

Thanks,
JP

You can wash your car with a citrus based shampoo... ie Chemical Guys Citrus Wash to strip remaining wax/protection. These shampoos are very versatile in that they can be used for regular maintenance washing (when diluted properly) or for stripping your protection (when diluted to a stronger mixture of cleaner to water)... simply read the label on the product for the proper mixing ratios.

I also pre-wash/soak with citrus wash in a foam gun (not foam lance) to help break down any existing LSP.

**some people still use Dawn dish soap to strip LSP... it is effective, but not as preferred as a dedicated car washing shampoo**

For sealant, I love Menzerna Power Lock... however, like most detailing supplies, you will find there are TONS of excellent sealants out there.

Regarding the Meg's MF Correction Kit mentioned above... I would not get the "kit" and just get the cutting pads and D300, as I find the polishing pads and D301 are just not as good as a foam polishing pad and something like M205... just my opinion though.

Also, you mentioned your car was white... but you never said what kind of car it is... mind sharing that info?

jproy12
04-18-2013, 08:53 AM
You can wash your car with a citrus based shampoo... ie Chemical Guys Citrus Wash to strip remaining wax/protection. These shampoos are very versatile in that they can be used for regular maintenance washing (when diluted properly) or for stripping your protection (when diluted to a stronger mixture of cleaner to water)... simply read the label on the product for the proper mixing ratios.

I also pre-wash/soak with citrus wash in a foam gun (not foam lance) to help break down any existing LSP.

**some people still use Dawn dish soap to strip LSP... it is effective, but not as preferred as a dedicated car washing shampoo**

For sealant, I love Menzerna Power Lock... however, like most detailing supplies, you will find there are TONS of excellent sealants out there.

Regarding the Meg's MF Correction Kit mentioned above... I would not get the "kit" and just get the cutting pads and D300, as I find the polishing pads and D301 are just not as good as a foam polishing pad and something like M205... just my opinion though.

Also, you mentioned your car was white... but you never said what kind of car it is... mind sharing that info?
Thanks for the great info! Really appreciated.

I drive a 2012 Subaru Forester, 5th Subaru, il try to post pics of my older cars.

I'll look into a citrus based soap and some sealants, some great info in this thread that I'll keep handy when doing some research. I'll probably have more information to ask again, just a matter of time!

jproy12
04-18-2013, 09:20 AM
Alright, another questions; what is the ideal temperature to detail? The temperature these days in Canada are around 50-60deg F, is that warm enough?

Alright, here are some pics of my current car:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-uf8oRUUPm4M/ULJYisJN0sI/AAAAAAAAAhI/oVkpz6ODiNY/s1107/20121119_065920.jpg

My last car, that I sold since I bought a house
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-PzTRYGnaVfc/T3hl-nubRCI/AAAAAAAAADY/AeEXF6-Pr68/s1245/IMG_1441.JPG

Vegas Transplant
04-18-2013, 09:35 AM
I've read here on the forums that the Collinite 845 wax may be a sealant, if it is, can anyone suggest a good wax?

I just want to make sure that I have all bases covered before I start my job, so looking at getting polish, sealant then wax, which ones?

Thanks,
JP

845 is a great stand alone product.
The last bottle that I ordered was a combo. Haven't found the need for the DP yet.Detailer’s Maximum Paint Protection Combo, best winter wax, best car wax winter protection (http://www.autogeek.net/maximum-paint-protection-combo.html)

Wish that I woulda remembered the ... White Flip Cap (http://www.autogeek.net/cap-100w.html)

zmcgovern45
04-18-2013, 09:44 AM
50-60F is excellent... living in the midwest, I see temps ranging from 0F to 100F and have detailed in the extreme heat and my garage usually stays in the 40's during the winter and I have never had much of an issue.

Good looking cars.. seems you like white subies :)

jproy12
04-18-2013, 10:00 AM
50-60F is excellent... living in the midwest, I see temps ranging from 0F to 100F and have detailed in the extreme heat and my garage usually stays in the 40's during the winter and I have never had much of an issue.

Good looking cars.. seems you like white subies :)
Yep, loving white cars, but a PITA to keep clean! If 50-60 is perfect, I'll probably attack the project next weekend! Im the MAN

Also to add to the list is my Meguiars gold class shampoo for regular maintenance, is that any good for the simple saturday wash?

zmcgovern45
04-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Yep, loving white cars, but a PITA to keep clean! If 50-60 is perfect, I'll probably attack the project next weekend! Im the MAN

Also to add to the list is my Meguiars gold class shampoo for regular maintenance, is that any good for the simple saturday wash?

Sure, can't go wrong with gold class... I just use Citrus Wash and Gloss for all of my washes. Like I said, they are great for regular washing or stripping LSP depending on how you dilute them.

jproy12
04-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Other than the Meguiars #205, is there another product similar to this one with the same details and all?

zmcgovern45
04-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Other than the Meguiars #205, is there another product similar to this one with the same details and all?

There are several similar polishes like this that will serve you well, however every product is slightly different

... what exactly are you looking for?

-Do you want DAT instead of SMAT?
-Do you want something with more or less cut than M205?
-?