PDA

View Full Version : Clear Coat Measurer thingy

Pages : [1] 2

hernandez.art13
04-17-2013, 11:55 PM
Not sure what it is called but since I plan on specializing on paint restoration, rejuvenation, correction etc etc.

I never even new this existed but I thought I invest in one. I always eyeballed it. My eye balls haven't yet failed. Mostly worked with newly painted 3 coats of clear coat. 17310

What are these called?

hernandez.art13
04-17-2013, 11:58 PM
And which one do you guys recommend?

jvs1991
04-18-2013, 12:02 AM
Paint thickness gauge.

hernandez.art13
04-18-2013, 12:13 AM
Ahh... Yes thank you any specific brand or are they all the same?

jvs1991
04-18-2013, 12:28 AM
Ag sells a few they're pricey though. Some have bought from eBay,if you do a search I'm pretty sure someone recently reviewed one they got on eBay, check that out for some info.

hernandez.art13
04-18-2013, 12:42 AM
Ok thank you and yes they are very pricy

Divine Details
04-18-2013, 07:13 AM
The highline meters are nice.
And they are only around 200-250.

Chad @ divine details

zmcgovern45
04-18-2013, 07:21 AM
Eyeballed it? How can you eyeball something that is typically thinner than a sheet of paper?

You have been posting a lot of threads lately asking very basic questions for things that have already been answered in several other threads... try searching the forum for answers first before creating a new thread. It will save you time and you will most likely find plenty of other useful information along the way.

Here is my the article to the "eBay PTG" mentioned above:
CM8801FN Paint Thickness Gauge - Affordable for Everyone! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/61505-cm8801fn-paint-thickness-gauge-affordable-everyone.html)

hernandez.art13
04-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Eyeballed it? How can you eyeball something that is typically thinner than a sheet of paper?

You have been posting a lot of threads lately asking very basic questions for things that have already been answered in several other threads... try searching the forum for answers first before creating a new thread. It will save you time and you will most likely find plenty of other useful information along the way.

Here is my the article to the "eBay PTG" mentioned above:
CM8801FN Paint Thickness Gauge - Affordable for Everyone! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/61505-cm8801fn-paint-thickness-gauge-affordable-everyone.html)

Yes, when working at a production Auto Body Shop you don't bust out the Paint Thickness gauge. Your expected to know what you are doing and messing up is not an option.

rms64
04-18-2013, 12:01 PM
Yes, when working at a production Auto Body Shop you don't bust out the Paint Thickness gauge. Your expected to know what you are doing and messing up is not an option.

Not to be contrarian, but that seems like one of the short-list places where you'd WANT to bust out the PTG - because you're expected to know what you're doing.

I could be wrong - it's been done before. :rolleyes:

hernandez.art13
04-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Not to be contrarian, but that seems like one of the short-list places where you'd WANT to bust out the PTG - because you're expected to know what you're doing.

I could be wrong - it's been done before. :rolleyes:

I hear you. Like i said I just worked on the production side. And as far as I know they don't do this for Daily Driver cars. Or Hertz Contracts.

If your constantly burning the paint you'll just be replaced with someone else.

Anybody worked at an Auto Body Shop for mostly daily driver cars use a paint thickness gauge normally? After learning about it on here I basically wanted one.

Pricing seems nice...

I tried searching it on here as shown in the picture when I first started but nothing. I even googled it and also nothing. That is why this forum is so helpful.

zmcgovern45
04-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Search results for threads with "Paint Gauge" in the title

Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum - Search Results (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/search.php?searchid=3808258)

As far as the other comment about not using one in a production environment because you should know what you are doing...

Using a PTG does not mean you don't know what you are doing... it means you are smart enough to take the time to figure out what exactly you are working with instead of jumping right in and accidentally making a mistake you will regret later. As mentioned before... using a PTG (IMO) means you DO know what you are doing.

rmagnus
04-18-2013, 12:46 PM
I hear you. Like i said I just worked on the production side. And as far as I know they don't do this for Daily Driver cars. Or Hertz Contracts.

If your constantly burning the paint you'll just be replaced with someone else.

Anybody worked at an Auto Body Shop for mostly daily driver cars use a paint thickness gauge normally? After learning about it on here I basically wanted one.

Pricing seems nice...

I tried searching it on here as shown in the picture when I first started but nothing. I even googled it and also nothing. That is why this forum is so helpful.

I think you get the award for the most posts in the shortest period of time. Thats the gauge and it will not prevent you from buffing thru paint but it is very handy to educate yourself about how aggressive you can be with sanding or polishing.

No substitute for expierence but a paint gauge is very valuable when working on paint, factory or respray. If you are removing orange peel without knowing how much clear the painter sprayed this is the classic example of when to use a paint gauge.

Just get one you'll be thankful you did.

zmcgovern45
04-18-2013, 01:01 PM
I think you get the award for the most posts in the shortest period of time.
:iagree:

25 threads started in like a week, got to be a record

Bigbull2984
04-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Not sure what it is called but since I plan on specializing on paint restoration, rejuvenation, correction etc etc.

I never even new this existed but I thought I invest in one. I always eyeballed it. My eye balls haven't yet failed. Mostly worked with newly painted 3 coats of clear coat. 17310

What are these called?

Paint thickness gauge.
Defelsko Paint Thickness Gauge, Paint thickness meter, coating thickness gauge, auto paint meter, car paint meter (http://www.autogeek.net/paint-thickness-gauge.html)

Body Shop doesn't have one?

How do you eye ball paint thickness??