PDA

View Full Version : Calling out to all motorheads

Pages : [1] 2 3

ComradeGrumbles
04-17-2013, 11:27 PM
Ello everyone, I have a question for anyone who's more knowledgeable about cars than I am. My knowledge stops at the paint. :xyxthumbs:

As some of you may have seen on one of my other recent posts, I just purchased a 2011 Mazda 3. (I'm still working on finding time to detail it, don't you worry)

I was looking for a while to find a 2.5L in particular because it seemed to be a good option for me. I've test driven the skyactive mazdas and found them to be a bit lacking in performance. As for the Speed3, my insurance rate wouldn't have liked that very much. That left me with the 2.5L that doesn't jack up my insurance rates, but it's still a cut above most compact cars.

My question is, what do you know about K&N performance air filters? (Or other brands) Are the claims of 1-5% HP increase true? How about the claims of better MPGs? They sound too good to be true.

At some point in the future I'm going to have one of my mechanic friends help me with a cold air intake, but that's a while out. For now I'm thinking about just dropping by autozone for a better air filter.

Thanks!

jvs1991
04-18-2013, 12:08 AM
I don't think you'll see much of a difference from just the drop in filter.

I saw slight performance gains from the full intake in my car but honestly not enough to make it worth it. As far as MPGs I did not notice an increase then again it may be different for your car.

Andr3wilson
04-18-2013, 12:11 AM
Well you see the whole "filters gain you power" argument is very controversial. On one hand you have the guys that say you can't gain anything from just swapping filters; and they are correct to a degree.

On the other you have guys argue to get the best out of an intake and filter system you need to do some computer stuff.

Now personally IMO,if you are going to change the filters, and walk away, then no. You will experience nothing. Best results come from typically resetting the ECU (unplug the car for 10-15 mins). This will give the car time to remap and set up for the new air filter

Only major problem in doing this mod is, you will not feel it. When something says "gives 15hp" on the box. That is complete poop! When dynoing a car there are so many variables that numbers can be bent. It all comes down to the dyno tune really. For example, on the wrong tune my car pulls 357whp, on the correct one and on 94 octane, it's 447whp. Big difference but no actual change in the car!

For this reason tuners and mechanics have the rule of thumb, if its less than a 10-15% power gain, you won't notice it.

So to end all, save the money and get an ECU tune (new program) and mod the air box. It will save you money.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-18-2013, 12:34 AM
Well you see the whole "filters gain you power" argument is very controversial. On one hand you have the guys that say you can't gain anything from just swapping filters; and they are correct to a degree.

On the other you have guys argue to get the best out of an intake and filter system you need to do some computer stuff.

Now personally IMO,if you are going to change the filters, and walk away, then no. You will experience nothing. Best results come from typically resetting the ECU (unplug the car for 10-15 mins). This will give the car time to remap and set up for the new air filter

Only major problem in doing this mod is, you will not feel it. When something says "gives 15hp" on the box. That is complete poop! When dynoing a car there are so many variables that numbers can be bent. It all comes down to the dyno tune really. For example, on the wrong tune my car pulls 357whp, on the correct one and on 94 octane, it's 447whp. Big difference but no actual change in the car!

For this reason tuners and mechanics have the rule of thumb, if its less than a 10-15% power gain, you won't notice it.

So to end all, save the money and get an ECU tune (new program) and mod the air box. It will save you money.

Great post Andrew.

thebamboo23
04-18-2013, 12:45 AM
no

VroomVroom
04-18-2013, 10:06 AM
Great advice above. But.

Don't let that totally dissuade you from the K&N. Just buy it for the long-term savings, not for any perceived performance gains. If you keep your cars for a long time and do your own maintenance, you'll likely be pleased with the K&N. The biggest mistake people make with this - and honestly, with any aftermarket filter or CAI that utilizes a reusable filter - is over-oiling. You need to be careful with this process so you don't foul up the MAF sensor. (Not a showstopper, but cleaning it takes time, and you'll encounter various issues - poor fuel economy, rough idle, etc. - before you diagnose and resolve.)

Enjoy the new car. FWIW, I think you made the right choice, assuming your motivation was based on reliable and economical transportation. Should you start playing around with performance mods, keep in mind that the transmission is your weak link, and you can expect to encounter significant torque-steer. Lurking underneath, of course, are warranty concerns. I mention that since you mentioned insurance expense...also worth considering out-of-pocket repair expenses as well.

ComradeGrumbles
04-18-2013, 10:09 AM
Thank you guys for the informative responses. You just saved me some $$. :xyxthumbs:

I'll just wait until I can pull together a Cold air and I'll look into the ECU mods.

Thanks again!

Andr3wilson
04-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Thank you guys for the informative responses. You just saved me some $$. :xyxthumbs:

I'll just wait until I can pull together a Cold air and I'll look into the ECU mods.

Thanks again!

Best bet man!

af90
04-18-2013, 10:48 AM

Thanks again!Just be sure you understand tuning the ECU in any way you can consider a good portion of your powertrain warranty void. I've had vehicles tuned and never had a problem with it but so you're as informed as can be and accept the risk.

Mazda.Mark
04-18-2013, 10:54 AM
Doesn't some of these mods required sensor swaps, chips, etc?

I read a post not long ago here that stated removing your muffler on a turbo car makes for better sound? That baffled me.

af90
04-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Doesn't some of these mods required sensor swaps, chips, etc?

I read a post not long ago here that stated removing your muffler on a turbo car makes for better sound? That baffled me.Basic mods such as intakes, cat-back don't require tunes, but will be enhanced by them. Headers and more advanced mods do require them because the fuel/air tables need to be adjusted. Tunes allow the car's performance to be tailored to what specific mods are installed and improve performance and efficiency.

Removing your muffler can improve the sound on some cars but can also make other cars sound horrible as they need the baffling or it can sound very raspy.

ChrisJ
04-18-2013, 11:04 AM
An air filter will not gain you power...I run K&N's in all my cars for the simple fact you can clean them and in the long run it will save you money...As far as performance a CAI, RAI or filter on a small CI naturally aspirated car will add little performance if any...Its hype

Becciasm
04-18-2013, 11:25 AM
You won't 'gain' any power from just an air filter change on a stock engine.

A free flowing aftermarket intake or exhaust system will help your engine utilize the power it already generates to turn the wheels instead of taking some of that power to move air through the restrictive stock system.

You may see a little bump at the crank due to availability of air and alterations of the AF mixture by the computer, but claims of whp increase are more due to a higher percentage of the engine's output going to move the vehicle instead of air.

And again, that's all relative to the type of engine you have. I can slap a full intake and exhaust on my 2007 Corolla 1ZZ-FE engine and it won't do much. install a tuned system on a fire-breathing 6.1 hemi (or LS or ford V8, etc) and there is a greater ROI.

Klasse Act
04-18-2013, 11:54 AM
I have a K&N typhoon intake on my CR-Z and not only did the performance increase but my mpg's are higher also. The kit is flawlessly engineered, so fitment is perfect, looks OEM IMO. The throttle response is improved and it sounds great when you open it up, so I say go for it, you'll not regret it, trust me!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Klasse Act
04-18-2013, 11:58 AM

Thanks again!

Real CAI's are close to the ground/or splash guard, thus meaning a chance of hydro lock, just play it safe and get the K&N typhoon intake system. You'll save money because you don't need to replace the filter, just clean and oil when its real dirty and it will give you a nice sound, doesn't hurt having something that sounds good IMO.

Btw when I say the performance is "increased" I'm not saying its like I've got a Civic Si engine under the hood but when you don't have a lot of perf to begin with, well, a little is a lot to me, LOL!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online