PDA

View Full Version : How to clean A/C'ed Leather Seats with Perforations

Radarryan
04-17-2013, 01:38 AM
I am curious if there is any special way to clean air conditioned leather seats with the perforations? I saw that it said "do not allow anything to go into the holes" but that is next to impossible since that's the way you clean the seat! Maybe it is referring to spraying conditioner or cleaner directly on the seat?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to clog up the air conditioned seats because it is starting to get hot here in Dallas! It'll be over 100 before you know it... where did Spring go?

This is on a 2013 Porsche 911 (991) Carrera Cabriolet. Thank you and happy detailing!!

Speed-Dude
04-17-2013, 01:51 AM
I don't have A/C'ed seats but I do have perforated seats and think they should perform the same. Usually when I clean the seats I spray a microfiber applicator fairly liberally with leather cleaner and just clean the leather like normal.

After wiping it down i'll take the towel and fold it four times and basically just press it down with moderate pressure to kind of push any liquid in the pores into the towel. It seems to do a good job of drying within the pores and you should be fine as long as you're not like dumping cleaner directly onto the seats.

As far as conditioner, I personally prefer a sealant like Wolfgang CTS as it's not thick so it won't have a chance of clogging plus it actually protects the surface while keeping it looking factory new (or even better imo). If you do prefer to use a traditional conditioner you'll have to apply thinner coats to the seats so you're not filling the holes with conditioner. You can do it multiple times if you feel it's necessary but when you're buffing off the conditioner just remember to do the same process of folding your towel and pressing down onto the seated areas. It does a better job than you would expect at removing stuff from within the pores.

Basically, don't fret about clogging your seats with conditioner. With a little common sense and some practice they'll be just as easy to take care of as regular seats.

quiksilver_ben3
04-17-2013, 01:55 AM
Trick to cleaning perforated leather seats - YouTube (http://youtu.be/NtkDG6pNkI4)

AC in OC
04-17-2013, 02:45 AM
Trick to cleaning perforated leather seats - YouTube (http://youtu.be/NtkDG6pNkI4)

Nice. I've always wondered about this. I had a similar concern as my seats are also perforated w/ AC/heat. Good point about using the interior boars-hair brush and in case too much went into the holes using a vacuum to remove the excess.

When I saw the Youtube link, I thought for a second you might be joking around and linking the guy pressure washing the interior. LOL.

But this was indeed helpful. Thanks.

quiksilver_ben3
04-17-2013, 03:35 AM
Nice. I've always wondered about this. I had a similar concern as my seats are also perforated w/ AC/heat. Good point about using the interior boars-hair brush and in case too much went into the holes using a vacuum to remove the excess.

When I saw the Youtube link, I thought for a second you might be joking around and linking the guy pressure washing the interior. LOL.

But this was indeed helpful. Thanks.

Also, his tip to use the heater for the seats to help dry any moisture left behind.

lol, watching that was horrid. He replied in the comments how he gets tons of hate mail in response to how he "cleans" interiors.

AC in OC
04-17-2013, 10:20 PM
Yup. That also was a good point. Either the heat or AC, depending on the weather I suppose.

Yeah, I was laughing at that too. Haters gonna hate. I mean it was just a little spray right? These two guys are complete polar opposites when it comes to interior detailing.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AG Online