PDA

View Full Version : Steamer pros and cons (Dougw4355!)

statusdetailing
04-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Steamers are awesome. It's a proven fact, but BEWARE! They are dangerous as well.

I've found that steamers work best on microfiber type upholstery and carpet (excellent for gum). I usually use the diaper method (placing a towel over the head of the steamer). On well maintained vehicles you can clean most of the carpet and upholstery with minimal or no chemicals.

On dirty cars, I will use them on vents, cup holders etc. But seriously beware. Hard plastic do not respond well to even lights steam. You have to move quickly or you will bake the plastic and turn it a whitish color.

I combine compressed air (air nozzle in one hand and steamer in the other) The compressed air combined with steam will blast away dirt and the air helps cool the temperature of the steamer, making damage unlikely (but still possible). Just flat out don't use steam on anything except carpet and upholstery on a well maintained, expensive car. Don't do it!

Steam also works wonders on headliners using the diaper method and the steamer on the low setting. But, you can delaminate a headliner by moving to slowly. Keep the temperature down by moving quickly and using a towel of the head and you won't have a problem.

Any input? Dougw4355 (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/members/dougw4355.html) you just bought a steamer. How do you like it so far?

Pureshine
04-16-2013, 12:14 PM
I would never use a steamer on a head liner thats just me. the head liner is glued on and to much heat or agitation can make it come loose.

Dougw4355
04-16-2013, 12:17 PM
I recently bought the Mytee firebird steamer and really like it
I have the Tornador black and thought it was great,,UNTIL I got a steamer. The tornador doesnt stand a chance against my steamer.

Steamer Pros:
Excellent at cleaning brake dust
Even better at headliners
Cleans off dried gum/residue with ease
I even use mine to blast tail pipes clean
Cleans door jams and trunk lip area dirt easily

Steamer Cons:
leaves a dry residue on certain interiors

statusdetailing
04-16-2013, 12:22 PM
I would never use a steamer on a head liner thats just me. the head liner is glued on and to much heat or agitation can make it come loose.

Probably better safe the sorry. I basically agree with you. I only break out steam for the headliner in worst case scenarios.

statusdetailing
04-16-2013, 12:23 PM
I recently bought the Mytee firebird steamer and really like it
I have the Tornador black and thought it was great,,UNTIL I got a steamer. The tornador doesnt stand a chance against my steamer.

Steamer Pros:
Excellent at cleaning brake dust
Even better at headliners
Cleans off dried gum/residue with ease
I even use mine to blast tail pipes clean
Cleans door jams and trunk lip area dirt easily

Steamer Cons:
leaves a dry residue on certain interiors

Could this be the "baking" that I am seeing? is it possible to remove the whitish residue?

topdawg57
04-16-2013, 12:50 PM
I am about to pull the trigger on a steamer so short of buying
Renny Doles cd.Any tips on stain removal coffee,red kool -aid,etc

statusdetailing
04-16-2013, 01:01 PM
I am about to pull the trigger on a steamer so short of buying
Renny Doles cd.Any tips on stain removal coffee,red kool -aid,etc

I have personally found that coffee doesn't respond to steam very well. Folex works on most coffee stains, but if it's a really old coffee stain, good luck!

Red stains can be removed with 50/50 ammonia and water lightly misted on the spot. Place a towel and hot iron over the spot for a few seconds. Remove and repeat until the stain is gone.

There are red stain specific products like red relief that work even better.