PDA

View Full Version : Pricing question

Pages : [1] 2 3

hernandez.art13
04-15-2013, 09:47 PM
I plan on charging a la carte as well.

Some clients wont need all 4 steps, maybe just a polish and wax.

For

Clay=?
Compound=?
Polish=?
Wax=?

My uncle said to remember that I am so working off the street and barely starting up.

I figure I could charge $35 for each step.

Would total $140 if they asked for all 4 steps.

I would include a quick detail as part of my package as well. So it could be more presentable.

(After typing this it made me realize what you guys were saying about customers caring more about the interior, a friend of mine she would care for the total package interior/exterior)

Well I don't mind about the work flow. So just a help with pricing each category will be fine thanks.

Dougw4355
04-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Check out a few of mikes articles about your question

How to make money detailing cars - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/28331-expose-yourself-more-business.html

Bates Detailing
04-15-2013, 09:52 PM
A 4 step for $140 seems very low to me. Where are you located?!?!? We 4 stepped + full interior today for $325 (with 4 guys), and the only reason being is because we made another $150 in the AM. If it was the only job for the day I probably would have charged much more. Charge what you feel you are worth man. If you know you are the best in your area, charge appropriately. At $140, I feel that you will lose because you will come back the next day to finish and IF you make profit, it will be very minimal. Best advice I can think of, CHARGE WHAT YOU ARE WORTH!

jgibson2980
04-15-2013, 09:53 PM
I use the clay bar as an add on to hand waxes. And on details and paint correction work its added on to the price
. Some people just look at me crazy when I say a hand wax is any where from 85 to 95 bucks . So I up sell the clay bar on hand waxes . Just what I do . I personally like to clay every wax job but some people just want a shiny car . And you can't educate them on the inportants of claying before waxing
Sent from my SPH-L710 using AG Online

hernandez.art13
04-15-2013, 10:05 PM
Well in reality for
Clay
Compound
Polish
Wax

I called my local known guy and ge said $200 for all 4 steps.

I feel like I'm at $150 for
Compound
Polish
Wax

So If I can see the swirl marks i should just ask the customer what he wants and not bring up the swirl marks?

After reading what you posted B&B i should just get used to getting turned down but stay firm at my pricing thanks I did feel $140 was to low.

You guys mind helping me with my a la carte prices?

Pureshine
04-15-2013, 10:17 PM
My 2 step starts at $350 at $140 how are you making any money? My wash/sealant starts at $65. I don't have a la carte prices for anything really if some one wants a scratch buffed out I'll give them a price when I see it.

cleanmycorolla
04-15-2013, 10:18 PM
You seem to have a lot of questions, and thats always good! You should look at this book if starting this as a career. It wil help you out a lot and maybe consolidate down many of your questions.

I say learn as much as you can, than worry about what you're going to charge.

How to Start a Home-based Car Detailing Business, car detailing book, best auto detailing books (http://www.autogeek.net/car-detailing-book.html)

Bates Detailing
04-15-2013, 10:38 PM
My 2 step starts at $350 at $140 how are you making any money? My wash/sealant starts at $65. I don't have a la carte prices for anything really if some one wants a scratch buffed out I'll give them a price when I see it.

You must calculate cost of living and the area man. TN has a MUCH lower cost of living than Seattle - much less! The only reason I know is because I lived in Monterey Bay for 3 years - Cali and Washington is not cheap :/

hernandez.art13
04-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Yeah I already have that book on my wish list for next months AG order.

I feel that learning is an infinite thing. I do feel that I already have enough skill to do what I am pursuing. Just zero skill in pricing, finding clientele business etc... Cos i have a tendency of saying oh just pay for the materials.

Ok another question (since this books is next months order)
If you tell someone your prices and they just look at you like your crazy do you just say ok and walk away or lower your prices? Or what do you do?

That's why I feel i lowered mine before I even got started haha

I am planning on going to the Pomona Swapmeet Classic car show w/ my business cards and handing them out to classic car owners. Ones that don't have that $3,000 paint job but somebody starting out like me with there classic.

AutowerxDetailing
04-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Run some numbers on this. Then choose whatever you feel comfortable charging.. :props:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/61498-detailing-time-chart.html

Pureshine
04-15-2013, 10:44 PM
You must calculate cost of living and the area man. TN has a MUCH lower cost of living than Seattle - much less! The only reason I know is because I lived in Monterey Bay for 3 years - Cali is not cheap :/

I agree with you all the way but you still have to make enough to live on detailing is long hours and hard work. All I'm say is you need to get payed good for your time.

Detailing by M
04-15-2013, 11:09 PM
I won't compound a car for less then $350.
Always clay! Your first step no matter what kind of detail your doing is cleanning the paint.
Everything after that it's more money. I don't break out a mechein untill $260.
My Wash N Wax/Mini Details start at $75-130, but this is my "lost leader product" to meet new customers and girls. :) jk
My car wash start at $55, but only on a detailed car, no pig wagons at this price
Hope that helps

hernandez.art13
04-15-2013, 11:21 PM
I won't compound a car for less then $350.
Always clay! Your first step no matter what kind of detail your doing is cleanning the paint.
Everything after that it's more money. I don't break out a mechein untill $260.
My Wash N Wax/Mini Details start at $75-130, but this is my "lost leader product" to meet new customers and girls. :) jk
My car wash start at $55, but only on a detailed car, no pig wagons at this price
Hope that helps

The girls are the main reason i got into this! Have to be the hero to save the damsel in distress also just kidding (kinda)

Detailing by M i'm guessing you do interior work as well though right?

And yes this one of the more helpful posts... Thank you

hernandez.art13
04-15-2013, 11:22 PM
And I shall always clay from now on!!!

cleanmycorolla
04-16-2013, 12:05 AM
Yeah I already have that book on my wish list for next months AG order.

I feel that learning is an infinite thing. I do feel that I already have enough skill to do what I am pursuing. Just zero skill in pricing, finding clientele business etc... Cos i have a tendency of saying oh just pay for the materials.

Ok another question (since this books is next months order)
If you tell someone your prices and they just look at you like your crazy do you just say ok and walk away or lower your prices? Or what do you do?

That's why I feel i lowered mine before I even got started haha

I am planning on going to the Pomona Swapmeet Classic car show w/ my business cards and handing them out to classic car owners. Ones that don't have that $3,000 paint job but somebody starting out like me with there classic.

Ok, just figured I'd pass that along because i saw you say your were going to charge $35 to polish a car, which if you want to charge go ahead, but not exactly a good price point. like i said you seem new to this, so best bet like anyone is to read and learn as much as you can, then worry about a business plan.

Also, start small, you dont wont to go to a car show and pimp yourself out only to destroy some classic cars paint job and be 'that guy' just saying maybe study up a lot before getting out there and offering a service. Example, you dont clay cars before you polish, which you kind of should, so it's little things like that you'll want to learn before even remotely wanting to offer a paid service.