PDA

View Full Version : Using the Flex 3401 to wetsand

zckid
04-15-2013, 02:33 PM
Hello Mike

I read your review on using the Flex to wetsand. I have one question though.

I have a friend having a Land Rover Challenger. He had it resprayed and it's full of orange peel, dust nibs, dips and runs. He wanted to have the paint corrected on his truck.
I asked him to wait 3 - 4 months before flattening the paint.

I'd like to know whether on resprayed panels, dampsanding with the Flex will be less riskier? (this is the only DA i have)

I've been made to understand that here in Mauritius Mirka Abralon pads are available. if I proceed, it will be 2000, (then 3000 if needed ) and 4000 grit on speed 1. What would be your thoughts on this?

(To add, I have Carpro denim and velvet pads in my order, just waiting for some friends who will add their products detailing-wise to save on shipping)

many thanks

Zaid

hernandez.art13
04-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Post pictures... What I would do is wet sand by hand 1,500, 2,000 and then use the Flex (since that's all you have) at 3,000.

The flex with a cutting pad should be strong enough to buff out the rest.

zckid
04-16-2013, 12:21 AM
Post pictures... What I would do is wet sand by hand 1,500, 2,000 and then use the Flex (since that's all you have) at 3,000.

The flex with a cutting pad should be strong enough to buff out the rest.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I'll try to get some pics for sure when i meet my buddy.

I did wetsand a few cars by hand but it takes an awful lot, lot of time, and a lot more energy. There's no DA polisher here and shipping on this stuff is way more than the polisher. :(

I just want to cut the time i spend on wetsanding. i remember having spent 4 days before i had not yet started polishing and exhausted already.

here it is: 8-day Marathon detail (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/50389-honda-civic-8-day-marathon-wetsand-n-buff.html)

My friend's Land Rover's paint is much worse than this one. and being a big bad boy, the ride will consume all my energy if i wetsand by hand.

hernandez.art13
04-16-2013, 12:26 AM
Yeah wet sanding by hand is really exhausting. I have never tried it with an electric DA only with Air Pressure one. And I loved it!!!

hernandez.art13
04-16-2013, 12:26 AM
I have the porter cable...

Mike Phillips
04-16-2013, 06:33 AM
I'd like to know whether on resprayed panels, dampsanding with the Flex will be less riskier? (this is the only DA i have)

many thanks

Zaid

Hi Zaid,

In the Wetsanding forum group there's this article,

Can the Flex 3401 be used to wetsand? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wet-sanding-cutting-buffing/60696-can-flex-3401-used-wetsand.html)

Lat time I looked at a Range Rover they have a lot of body lines. you can really only use large sanding discs on large flat panel.

If it were me? I wouldn't use the Flex to machine wetsand, I'm just too uncomfortable with the scalloping it instills. See the pics in my article above.

I would recommend getting a PC and a Griot's 3" Mini Polisher for machine wetsanding. We had a guy on the forum recently and I think he purchased the 3" Griot's and was going to sand down the entire car using 3" discs. Not the best way for large flat panels but it can be done.

I know one thing for sure, I would machine sand over hand sanding any day...

Also, locate the painter and ask them how much clear they sprayed. That's the first thing I do. I'd also sand a lot sooner, the longer you wait the harder the paint will become. Sanding is easy, that's putting scratches into the paint... the tricky part is getting them all out.

A PTG is also a good idea. I worked on a car yesterday with factory paint that measured between 1.9 and 3 mils. I'm glad I had my PTG with me, it kept me from getting aggressive.

:)

Mike Phillips
04-16-2013, 06:34 AM
There's also a lot of article on wetsanding in the wetsanding forum group including using the 3" Griots...

Wet-Sanding, Cutting & Buffing - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wet-sanding-cutting-buffing/)

zckid
04-16-2013, 07:11 AM
Hi Zaid,

In the Wetsanding forum group there's this article,

Can the Flex 3401 be used to wetsand? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wet-sanding-cutting-buffing/60696-can-flex-3401-used-wetsand.html)

Lat time I looked at a Range Rover they have a lot of body lines. you can really only use large sanding discs on large flat panel.

If it were me? I wouldn't use the Flex to machine wetsand, I'm just too uncomfortable with the scalloping it instills. See the pics in my article above.

I would recommend getting a PC and a Griot's 3" Mini Polisher for machine wetsanding. We had a guy on the forum recently and I think he purchased the 3" Griot's and was going to sand down the entire car using 3" discs. Not the best way for large flat panels but it can be done.

I know one thing for sure, I would machine sand over hand sanding any day...

Also, locate the painter and ask them how much clear they sprayed. That's the first thing I do. I'd also sand a lot sooner, the longer you wait the harder the paint will become. Sanding is easy, that's putting scratches into the paint... the tricky part is getting them all out.

A PTG is also a good idea. I worked on a car yesterday with factory paint that measured between 1.9 and 3 mils. I'm glad I had my PTG with me, it kept me from getting aggressive.

thanks a lot for the reply Mike :dblthumb2: I really appreciate your help.

i did read this thread and posted the same on it.

i'll be saving for the PTG so can't have both PTG and DA right now.

unfortunately we use 240v equipment here, so really can't have the griots or the megs and shipping is really very expensive.

The makita BO6040 is available here, however as i know it cannot accept smaller pads.

I'll be getting Menz FG400 soon, will try it on the carPro pads.

In Todd's review of the carPro pads and Menz FG400, he used a stiff 5/8 LC backing plate.

I have the Optimum thread adapter for their doubled-sided pads.
Will the LC backing plate fit the Optimum adapter?

Many thanks again :dblthumb2:

Zaid

hernandez.art13
04-16-2013, 11:10 AM
I first hated the fact that I got a Porter Cable cos i learned it's a DA after I ordered it. but I think it's a good starting tool.

I'll be able to color sand, buff, polish, wax, do interior a lot of stuff. And yeah I might have to buy an extra adapter but i wont have to be right there scrubbing by hand.

Mike said he wouldn't use a Flex for color sanding... Only thing I can compare a Flex when it comes to color sanding is a Dewalt and no way in hell! will I ever use a Dewalt to color sand.

It'll be like driving 100 Mph to get to work faster. You might get there a few times but what happens when you don't.

I would color sand by hand or invest in a DA and Ag seems to have plenty.

zckid
04-16-2013, 12:52 PM
I first hated the fact that I got a Porter Cable cos i learned it's a DA after I ordered it. but I think it's a good starting tool.

I'll be able to color sand, buff, polish, wax, do interior a lot of stuff. And yeah I might have to buy an extra adapter but i wont have to be right there scrubbing by hand.

Mike said he wouldn't use a Flex for color sanding... Only thing I can compare a Flex when it comes to color sanding is a Dewalt and no way in hell! will I ever use a Dewalt to color sand.

It'll be like driving 100 Mph to get to work faster. You might get there a few times but what happens when you don't.

I would color sand by hand or invest in a DA and Ag seems to have plenty.

thnks for your message

I'm considering a PTG. will invest in a DA soon, but will have to buy the 240v one.

Here we have the Makita BO6040 but it comes with a fixed BP.

Shipping for a polisher is really very expensive be it from US or Europe (more pricier than the machine itself :( )

hernandez.art13
04-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Dont understand your abbreviations sorry...

Mike Phillips
04-17-2013, 06:39 AM
The makita BO6040 is available here, however as i know it cannot accept smaller pads.

Not unless you somehow modified a stock backing plate. The metal shroud around the backing plate would be an issue though. You can see some pictures of the BO6040 in action here,

Makita BO6040 Removing Sanding Marks (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wet-sanding-cutting-buffing/50546-makita-bo6040-removing-sanding-marks.html)

[QUOTE=zckid;852226]

In Todd's review of the carPro pads and Menz FG400, he used a stiff 5/8 LC backing plate.

I have the Optimum thread adapter for their doubled-sided pads.
Will the LC backing plate fit the Optimum adapter?

Many thanks again :dblthumb2:

Zaid

The adapter will fit a US standard rotary buffer backing plate. It will not fit a backing plate meant for a metric thread spindle on some rotary buffers.

Don't underestimate the Porter Cable. Millions of cars have be turned swirl free over the decades with this tool.

We removed the swirls and created a true show car finish on this old car using only a Porter Cable DA Polisher with good technique and premium polishes...

1939 Lincoln Zephyr - Swirls Removed - Modeled by Nicole (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-autogeek-s-car-week/44292-1939-lincoln-zephyr-swirls-removed-modeled-nicole.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1347/1939LincolnZephyr065.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1347/1939LincolnZephyr067.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1347/1939LincolnZephyr068.jpg

:D

zckid
04-17-2013, 07:16 AM
Not unless you somehow modified a stock backing plate. The metal shroud around the backing plate would be an issue though. You can see some pictures of the BO6040 in action here,

Makita BO6040 Removing Sanding Marks (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wet-sanding-cutting-buffing/50546-makita-bo6040-removing-sanding-marks.html)

Thanks for the reply Mike :)

Yes, i've seen many using the BO6040 and got a feel of it when i bought the makita 9227.

Later, i've bought a Flex 3401 and as you say, the Flex is a better machine, i'm going to stick to what i have. I'll go for the CarPro denim/velvet pads and save for a PTG initially.

The adapter will fit a US standard rotary buffer backing plate. It will not fit a backing plate meant for a metric thread spindle on some rotary buffers.

:D

Thanks for the info. will get the LC backing plate then

cheers Mike and many thanks again :dblthumb2: