PDA

View Full Version : Dent Help Needed

Jimmie
05-20-2007, 11:48 AM
When pulling the car in the garage last night I ran into my roller seat (squeezed it between the bumper and air compressor). Appreciate any ideas you guys have. I was hoping for a DIY operation but understand that may not be possible.
Here she is:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p103/jimmiepics/005.jpg

Jimmie
05-20-2007, 11:54 AM
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p103/jimmiepics/004.jpg

Mike T
05-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Is there any place were you can get access to the inside of that panel?

Jimmie
05-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Is there any place were you can get access to the inside of that panel?

Looks tough but possibly Mike. I'd have to remove a couple of shrouds.

Mike T
05-20-2007, 12:32 PM
I think thats going to be your best bet. That looks like a pretty deep dent. You might get an estimate from a "Dent Doctor". The guy here does a fantastic job.

Fog Runner
05-20-2007, 04:22 PM
I had one in the door of my truck from a trip to home improvement store. I had no clue what to do. I took of my door panel and played around with it a little, then it was highly recomended on this site to get to a paintless dent repair buisness. I took the advice, and it was the best move I ever made, can't even tell where the dent was. I work with metals on a pretty regular basis, but it takes the tools and experience to really do a good job with these dents. I learned that. Good Luck!!

FR

Jimmie
05-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Really appreciate your input guys. Took your advice and have a call into a mobile dent guy. I'll let you know the outcome. Hope not too many $$$.

BILL
05-20-2007, 04:59 PM
I had one in the door of my truck from a trip to home improvement store. I had no clue what to do. I took of my door panel and played around with it a little, then it was highly recomended on this site to get to a paintless dent repair buisness. I took the advice, and it was the best move I ever made, can't even tell where the dent was. I work with metals on a pretty regular basis, but it takes the tools and experience to really do a good job with these dents. I learned that. Good Luck!!

FR

I AGREE.PAINTLESS DENT REPAIR IS GREAT......Being once a body shop owner before that system came about, the first thing that came into my mind when i saw that dent was.....

GRIND AREA.....PLASTIC FILLER, CHEESE FILE, D.A BLOCK, PRIME, PUTTY, BLOCK AGAIN, PRIME, WET /DRY 350 PAPER. PRIME, WET DRY 600 PAPER, PRIME , 1000 WET DRY PAPER ....... PRIME AGAIN, WET SAND 1500..PAINT PANEL..WET SAND 2000, APPLY ANOTHER COAT.....WET SAND 2500, COMPOUND, POLISH WAX.
COST: LABOR...$350.00, MATERIALS 15%... $52.50, SUB-TOTAL... $402.50 PLUS TAX... 8.75%..$35.21 TOTAL $437.71:( todays prices NYC.......

FMINUS
05-20-2007, 06:02 PM
I was going to take a class on dent removal during my time of unemployment, I still might, there is a training course in San Diego I think.

One trick I have heard, NEVER TRIED, is to take a can of compressed air and spray it upside down on the dent so the cold water comes out. Then to use a hot blow dryer on it. But your dent is kinda of deep so I dont know if it will work

ScottB
05-20-2007, 06:53 PM
I AGREE.PAINTLESS DENT REPAIR IS GREAT......Being once a body shop owner before that system came about, the first thing that came into my mind when i saw that dent was.....

GRIND AREA.....PLASTIC FILLER, CHEESE FILE, D.A BLOCK, PRIME, PUTTY, BLOCK AGAIN, PRIME, WET /DRY 350 PAPER. PRIME, WET DRY 600 PAPER, PRIME , 1000 WET DRY PAPER ....... PRIME AGAIN, WET SAND 1500..PAINT PANEL..WET SAND 2000, APPLY ANOTHER COAT.....WET SAND 2500, COMPOUND, POLISH WAX.
COST: LABOR...$350.00, MATERIALS 15%... $52.50, SUB-TOTAL... $402.50 PLUS TAX... 8.75%..$35.21 TOTAL $437.71:( todays prices NYC.......

I too saw the same ticket. They dent looks mighty big for dent doctor to completely remove. Some body work might be needed.

budman3
05-20-2007, 08:42 PM
Jimmie- am I wrong to assume that the bumper is plastic?? If that is the case then I can't see the dent 'popping' back out... I'm no body repair man but metal is easier to fix dents vs. plastic... It looks as if you punctured the bumper not a dent. If you moved up any more I think the chair would have left a nice hole in your bumper. I haven't heard any success stories of reviving plastic dents before.

Jimmie
05-20-2007, 08:58 PM
Jimmie- am I wrong to assume that the bumper is plastic?? If that is the case then I can't see the dent 'popping' back out... I'm no body repair man but metal is easier to fix dents vs. plastic... It looks as if you punctured the bumper not a dent. If you moved up any more I think the chair would have left a nice hole in your bumper. I haven't heard any success stories of reviving plastic dents before.

Yeah Budman it is plastic. Creased pretty good too.
I think you're right Scott---body work required. Hope not though. Should know tomorrow.

Jimmie
05-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Posting this to pass along the latest on dent removal. The two "dent" businesses cannot work on a plastic bumper unless it's a big (caved -in type) dent. I was told that metal dents; the smaller the better; Plastic dents; the bigger the better. They said that it will take filling or bumper replacement.

Mike T
05-22-2007, 03:37 PM
Has anyone tried the "heating with a blower dryer, spraying with liquid carbone dioxide" method?