PDA

View Full Version : Unhealthy Obsession

Pages : [1] 2

froll
05-20-2007, 07:03 AM
As the OCD (obsessive compulsive detailing) grows stronger with the warmer weather, how many of you find it becoming overwhelming. For example, you get the car done and move it into the garage THEN:

1) You don't want to move it out of the garage for fear that it will become dirty again and therefore you leave the love of your life in the garage and take your wife's (or husband's) car out all weekend;

2) You check on your garage kept baby and if the garage door is open find wind blown dust/pollen on the hood and feel compelled to QD it before you close the door

I need a 12 step program fast before I become consumed beyond the point of no return which will then make winter completely unbearable.

Feel free to add to this list and help organize an OCD meeting. The coffee and donuts will be be great.

ScottB
05-20-2007, 10:33 AM
you mean the neverending urge to clean something, even rental cars and neighbors ride ???

JoeD
05-20-2007, 11:33 AM
I thought I was alone with this obsession but since finding this site has assured me that I am not. I can get overly obsessive, after a long detail. I find my self not wanting to put the brakes on, when driving, in fear of Brake Dust! I know, I really need help.

Nica
05-20-2007, 12:22 PM
You mean besides purchaing a bunch of products and pads and backing plates and anything that has to do with detailing um...yup that's me lol.

I got three vehicles and my dailiy driver gets abused lots but my other vehicles I try to keep nice clean and never move them from the garage unless I'm doing another persons vehicle....man I'm hooked on detailing and detailing products. It's nice to be around people with the same goal/ambition/addiction hahaha.

detailing = addiction (but I'm happy with my new addiction)

Mike T
05-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Think how you would feel about not having a garage to pull your car in. Imagine not not having your own front yard to work. I'm dying to go out and wash and quick detail our cars, but it is SO damn hot out right now and the finishes are extremely hot to the touch.
Yesterday, to calm the voices I broke out the pressure washer and cleaned our small front patio.
Your not alone.

ltoman
05-20-2007, 01:09 PM
we are out of town and our rental is a mess! i told my husband i wanted to get it and detail it - i am dying just to get the bugs off and wax it and he thinks i am truly insane. it is begging for wax......not a dead in sight, and the interior is dirty!

soonermike
05-20-2007, 02:45 PM
I've begun looking at normal everyday items in the store and wondering if I could somehow apply them to detailing. One day I came home with Dawn power dissolver, painters tape, fluorescent lights, a whole house water filter ( with various fittings ), mechanics chair and portable gazebo from Lowe's. My wife was like "what's that for?" I just smiled and she said "oh..." She knew it was for my latest obsession...:p

Also I feel like an 8 year old on Dec 23rd because my PC and XMT and pad kit are supposed to be here tomorrow! I was tracking the shipment and of course they roll into town Friday night! Damn you UPS for not delivering on the weekend! Then I watch the Southpark where Cartman goes into the future because he can't stand to wait for the Nintendo Wii and I'm thinking..."is that possible?" LOL

FMINUS
05-20-2007, 03:07 PM
As the OCD (obsessive compulsive detailing) grows stronger with the warmer weather, how many of you find it becoming overwhelming. For example, you get the car done and move it into the garage THEN:

1) You don't want to move it out of the garage for fear that it will become dirty again and therefore you leave the love of your life in the garage and take your wife's (or husband's) car out all weekend;

2) You check on your garage kept baby and if the garage door is open find wind blown dust/pollen on the hood and feel compelled to QD it before you close the door

I need a 12 step program fast before I become consumed beyond the point of no return which will then make winter completely unbearable.

Feel free to add to this list and help organize an OCD meeting. The coffee and donuts will be be great.

WORD FOR WORD...... I know what you mean

FMINUS
05-20-2007, 03:10 PM
You mean besides purchaing a bunch of products and pads and backing plates and anything that has to do with detailing um...yup that's me lol.

I got three vehicles and my dailiy driver gets abused lots but my other vehicles I try to keep nice clean and never move them from the garage unless I'm doing another persons vehicle....man I'm hooked on detailing and detailing products. It's nice to be around people with the same goal/ambition/addiction hahaha.

detailing = addiction (but I'm happy with my new addiction)

Its embarrassing at times when you feel better about your obession because you see other people on the forums who spend more money and have more products. And then you find out they own thier own detailing business and actually has a reason to warrant thier purchases.... :o

dengood1
05-20-2007, 07:32 PM
you mean like QD every other day or simply spraying off the car to watch the water bead?......errrr.......I mean to get the dust off:o Or to dress the tires a little bit just to get a little shine without even washing the car:o

GUILTY!

Gary Sword
05-20-2007, 08:01 PM
:eek: :eek: Detailing is not unhealty but can be an addiction. There are a lot worse things you could be doing with your time and money.

joe.p
05-20-2007, 08:05 PM
Its embarrassing at times when you feel better about your obession because you see other people on the forums who spend more money and have more products. And then you find out they own thier own detailing business and actually has a reason to warrant thier purchases.... :o
don't be embarrassed..the majority here are detailing enthusiast with enough products to supply even the best of shops in there area lol i think theres a thread were everyone posted pics of there products..

Sparkie has so many it collapsed the wheels on his cabinet lol

here you go..

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/128-post-up-pictures-your-collection.html

sparkie
05-20-2007, 09:04 PM
don't be embarrassed..the majority here are detailing enthusiast with enough products to supply even the best of shops in there area lol i think theres a thread were everyone posted pics of there products..

Sparkie has so many it collapsed the wheels on his cabinet lol

here you go..

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/128-post-up-pictures-your-collection.html
:D

Nica
05-21-2007, 01:10 AM

Don't be embarrased my friend, I have been purchasing products left right and centre (and all other directions) and I don't officially have my own business I love detailing, I always been anal about how my vehicles looks. You should have seen my first vehicle I ever owned, it was a 1982 Toyota Tercell and not rust but the inside and the exterior was washed every weekend and the inside was vacumed and taken care of.

I got so much product to last me a life time, I've been showing people pictures of what I have done and can do and my close friends at work if they ask me to detail there car (for a price of course....well some times) I do it but I'm not so much interested on the money just to challenge my self and to over come the challendge. So far Nica = 1, swirls/scratches = NILL BABY!! :awesome:

All thanks to all of you here :grouphug:

Seriously though, I've got to stop purchasing things...hahahaha right...that's like saying there is no snow in Canada hahahaha

Cheetah
05-21-2007, 02:18 AM
I detailed my cell phone with apc, clay, SSS and collinite. looks great. gonna top it off with aquawax tomorrow. I'm not kidding.