PDA

View Full Version : Leather discoloration

CAD
04-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Hey. Sometimes I get leather seats with discoloration on them like from peoples jeans. On light color leather there will be blue on the supports. Anyone know how to get that off?

cartman57
04-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Might try this, don't know how readily available it is but AG store does carry it.
Leather Master Dye Transfer Remover, leather cleaner, dye remover, ink remover (http://www.autogeek.net/leather-master-dye-transfer-remover.html)

judyb
04-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Dye Transfer is the dyestuff transferred to leather from clothing, newsprint or from hair dyes and fake tans. It is more usually seen on light coloured, protected, leathers but it can occur on any leather, though not as noticeably. Basically the dye has redyed the leather. It is a very common problem.

If noticed early enough it can be successfully removed from most pigment coated leather with a jean and dye transfer remover. This should contain specifically formulated (by leather technologists) products for this problem.
The longer the dye sits in/on the leather the harder it will be to remove.

Using a high quality leather protector lwill help to inhibit dye transfer as the dye will sit on the protector and not on the finish of the leather. This also makes it much easier to clean off.
Owners of pale and off-white leather are recommended to adopt a gentle regular cleaning and protecting regime using good quality maintenance and protection products (not conditioners as these
actually attract more dirt) Please do not use anything containing waxes or oils on your leather as these will not help and polishes may seal the surface and prevent further cleaning.
Please do not use Magic Erasers to clean leather as these are a very fine sand paper and will damage the finish on the leather causing long term problems.
Saddle soap, vinegar and old wives tales should also be avoided as these can damage the finish on the leather which will be expensive to fix
Never use bleach on your leather as this will damage the leather

Hope this helps
Judyb

AeroCleanse
04-15-2013, 02:13 PM
I've had good luck using leather cleaner and finding something just a little more abrasive to scrub with. Just be careful. I know the AMMO guy has a video on this on his youtube channel.

Detailing by M
04-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Mr Clean Eraser, cheap, efective and it works for scuff marks too.

ObsessiveAutoDetail
04-15-2013, 11:17 PM
Mr Clean Eraser, cheap, efective and it works for scuff marks too.

I wouldn't recommend using a melamine sponge on any leather. It will abrade the coating on coated leather... I have seen it done by clients in an effort to remove crocking themselves. Use a dedicated dye transfer remover solution. Leather Masters works well on relatively new crocking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Smoothy
04-17-2013, 12:46 AM
Leather Master Dye Transfer Remover is intended to remove fresh stains made within the previous day or so. Older stains are treated with Leather Master Super Remover, a stronger formula.

Stubborn stains that are really set may not come out with these leather treatment products. As a last resort, with awareness that you are risking removal of the polyurethane coating and possibly the leather color, you can try a damp Magic Eraser which is equivalent to 1500 grit wet sandpaper. Apply the least amount of rubbing force needed to get the desired effect. In the best case, you will remove the stain without removing the color in the leather. In the worst case, you may have to redye the leather to restore its original color.