PDA

View Full Version : Swirl/Scratch remover

mpkav
04-14-2013, 07:52 AM
Hi everybody, I bought a 2005 black F150 last fall. I quickly purchased the Porter Cable 7424 with the Wolfgang swirl remover/sealant kit. I didn't really get the results i had hoped for. I washed, clayed, and followed Mike Phillip's tutorial on the 7424. After reading about Collinite I think I will try that for a sealant. What should I use for swirl removing? Is Wolgang a good product to use? Maybe I used too much product? Thanks in advance!!!

swanicyouth
04-14-2013, 08:02 AM
Wolfgang TSR is a very good product. It's likely your technique. I went through the same thing initially. What size / type pads are you using?

mpkav
04-14-2013, 08:10 AM
The kit came with the CCS orange light cutting pad, CCS white polishing pad, and CCS blue finessing pad. All 3 are 6.5".

swanicyouth
04-14-2013, 08:15 AM
You would do much better to just change to 5.5" pads and a 5" backing plate and to dial in your technique than to buy any new waxes, assuming you have enough polish left.

The system won't work if you use too much or to little polish.

mpkav
04-14-2013, 08:24 AM
I will try switching to the 5.5" pads! Do I need to do anything different now that there is sealant on the truck? will the total swirl remover still cut through like it's suppose to?

MarkD51
04-14-2013, 08:41 AM
I will try switching to the 5.5" pads! Do I need to do anything different now that there is sealant on the truck? will the total swirl remover still cut through like it's suppose to?

Hi, I have answered some of your questions in the other thread. Why AG-Autopia offer these PC kits with a larger backing plate, and 6.5" Pads is beyond me when it is quite well known the PC will struggle with these Pad-Plate combinations.

Mike P advises just the simple thin flat 5.5" Lake County Foam Pads for the PC Machine, with a 5" LC Backing Plate. (This is what many of us have)

If you've watched some of Mike Phillip's vids on the Porter Cable machine, you'll note he marks the back of the backing plate with a magic marker. Notice the circular rotation he achieves, this is what you'll want to see. With the PC just "jiggling" around, it is not anywhere near as effective for swirl, and scratch removal. If you were using the latest, more powerful Griots Garage DA, then yes, 6.5" can be effectively used.

If you should find absolutely zero in the way of any stuck contaminants to the surface of the paint, then yes, WGTSR will cut through all waxes-sealants to correct. Otherwise, claying before polishing should be done.

Do the simple, but effective "Plastic Baggie Test" like Mike Phillips advises. Any bumps, and.or roughness felt, then it will be highly advisable to clay after washing, and before polishing. Mark

mpkav
04-14-2013, 08:55 AM
Thanks for your opinions guys! I must have missed the 5.5" part of Mike's videos. At the same time, in my newbie mind, I didn't know there was much difference between the 5.5" and 6.5". I think I will clay again just for good measure. I'm waiting for the next coupon code and I will order some new pads and a lot of product!! Ha