PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good sealant/wax

Pages : [1] 2

devin122
04-13-2013, 10:29 PM
I'm looking for a good sealant and/or wax for my daily driver. A little background:
Its a metallic red '05 corolla I'd like something low maintenance / good longevity since generally speaking I'm busy/lazy :P . It doesn't need to look stunning (I'ts a corolla its not like it will be turning heads anyway :P). I don't mind investing time up front in prep/layering for gains in longevity.

So what would you recommend? Also what should I top it with on those occasions that I do have the time and I want it to look good?

MarkD51
04-13-2013, 10:51 PM
I'm looking for a good sealant and/or wax for my daily driver. A little background:
Its a metallic red '05 corolla I'd like something low maintenance / good longevity since generally speaking I'm busy/lazy :P . It doesn't need to look stunning (I'ts a corolla its not like it will be turning heads anyway :P). I don't mind investing time up front in prep/layering for gains in longevity.

So what would you recommend? Also what should I top it with on those occasions that I do have the time and I want it to look good?

Hello Devin122, and welcome to our forum!

A 100 members could possibly come up with a 100 different suggestions, and answers to your questions.

And many would not in any way be wrong suggestions.

There's so many great products sold here. Both Waxes, Sealants, and the ultra tough, and expensive long lasting coatings that are available.

Two very good products that are reasonable in cost, and offer very good performance, I might suggest those from the Duragloss Line, and also Collinite Products.

As you mentioned, prep will benefit any vehicle, in getting both better appearance, and as well better protection, as any, and all products will bond better.

There's a virtual encyclopedia worth of archived information here, from gurus like Mike Phillips, in which he covers every aspect of vehicle care, use of tools, techniques, and virtually every product known to man.

To follow his guidlines, and to gather knowledge through his experience will be wise, and time well spent.

You mention not so much seeking a desire of stunning results, but with many of the great products availabe here (and as well over the counter at stores), proper techniques, stunning results will be one characteristic that will be attained besides good long pasting protection.

Hoping you enjoy your stay, and membership! Mark

Alek@DeepClean
04-13-2013, 11:14 PM
I see about 6 months out of Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant when properly prepped. Easy on, easy off. Even easier if you have a DA. And my customers get about 2-3 months from Optimum Car Wax on average. This is great for a spray wax on daily drivers. Takes about 20 minutes to do the whole car. Both are great products

rmagnus
04-13-2013, 11:43 PM
Collinite 845 will work and inexpensive. Long term protection, great water beading as well. Hand or machine application is fine just put in on as thin as you can.

Kevin Cullen
04-14-2013, 12:55 AM
+2 for the Duragloss line up of 105/601 and the 501/601 for the final. This will give you at least six months if washed correctly. Top it off with Aquawax and you got a killer combo.

The second set would be the Klasse twins. Can't go wrong there as well plus safe for trim. I use Klasse AIO on side windows and it is awesome.

habeba86
04-14-2013, 01:19 AM
Collinite 845 will work and inexpensive. Long term protection, great water beading as well. Hand or machine application is fine just put in on as thin as you can.

End thread

BobbyG
04-14-2013, 06:26 AM
Two very good products that are reasonable in cost, and offer very good performance, I might suggest those from the Duragloss Line, and also Collinite Products.

As you mentioned, prep will benefit any vehicle, in getting both better appearance, and as well better protection, as any, and all products will bond better.

Hoping you enjoy your stay, and membership! Mark

Mark's given you some great advise! :props:

Stunning results on a daily driver is all about properly preparing the finish for the final protective coatings.

Wash
Clay
Clean / Polish
Seal
Wax

Using Duragloss #501 after claying will remove swirls, like defects, grime, and oxidation allowing the paints brilliance to once again show through.

Once this step is complete protecting it is a great idea and if staying within the Duragloss line their Duragloss #105 or Duragloss #111 is a perfect finish.

Collinite 845 is the best bang for the buck in waxes period. This wax adds both depth and protection to any automotive finish and for $15.00 how can you go wrong...

Collinite #845: The Definitive How-To Guide For This Legendary Wax (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40243-collinite-845-definitive-how-guide-legendary-wax.html)

PA DETAILER
04-14-2013, 06:57 AM
one step BLACKFIRE POLISH & SEAL.

FUNX650
04-14-2013, 07:03 AM
I'm looking for a good sealant and/or wax for my daily driver.

Hi Devin...:welcome:...to AGO!!

The AGO store has a plethora of good waxes & good sealants
at price points to fit any budget.

Accordingly...
You now have a golden opportunity to fulfill the 'mantra':
"Shop 'til you drop!"...if you would so desire to do so.

Results for good waxes - Search (http://autogeek.commerce-search.net/search/catalog-autogeek--keywords-good_waxes--x-41--y-9)

Results for good sealants - Search (http://autogeek.commerce-search.net/search?catalog=autogeek&keywords=good+sealants&x=56&y=13)

:)

Bob

BillyJack
04-14-2013, 07:12 AM
Bobby G's steps are very similar to what I use on my DD's for the PA winters.
Clay, clean with DG 501/601, follow with 2 coats of Colli 476 and you're done for 4-6 months. I did my winter preps in early November and here's a shot of one after a mid-winter ONR wash:http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee388/kaminokids/El%20Cam%20forum%20pics/Detail%20Forum%20Pics/IMG_1752.jpg

Bill

mpkav
04-14-2013, 07:26 AM
I bought the Porter Cable 7424 kit with Wolfgang products (swirl remover) last fall. I have a black 2005 F150 and really didn't get the results I wanted. I think I definitely will use Collinite this time!! Will the Duragloss 501 work well for removing the swirls/light scratches? Maybe I used too much product last time?

MarkD51
04-14-2013, 08:21 AM
I bought the Porter Cable 7424 kit with Wolfgang products (swirl remover) last fall. I have a black 2005 F150 and really didn't get the results I wanted. I think I definitely will use Collinite this time!! Will the Duragloss 501 work well for removing the swirls/light scratches? Maybe I used too much product last time?

Hi, In what way didn't you get the results you desired?

The WG Total Swirl Remover will, and should do what it was designed for, removing swirls. If you're not getting results with this product, then the possible reasons for such, are going to be rushing through a correction, where one might be fighting time, and then start using fast arm speeds with the PC7424XP when doing section passes.

Another would be using improper techniques with the PC DA, in that one is not getting good rotation from the Pad. Improper holding of the Pad on the Panel, or a Backing Plate, and Pad that might be too large for the PC will hamper its effectiveness as a tool.

The folks here wisely advise, and claim 6.5" Pads are not the ideal Pad size for the PC. Optimum Pad size (if using Foam Pads) will be 5.5", with a 5" Backing Plate. Or a 4" Pad with a 3.5" Backing Plate.

If these guidlines are being closely followed, then what you may be seeing is scratches that are deeper than what's referred to as swirling. What the boys here often refer to as RIDS (Random Isolated Deep Scratches), and thus you might need a slightly more agressive Polish than WGTSR to get them out.

About 5 weeks ago, I removed old nasty pinstriping from my beater Kia Spectra with a Pinstripe removal wheel. The wheel did not scratch the paint, but it did mar the paint. WGTSR very effectively brought back a pristine paint finish.

As for the Duragloss 501 being used effectively as a correction product to remove swirling, I'll answer that question, and say no, this by far will not be your best product to reach for to remove swirls. It is not specifically designed to do so.

Think of DG501 more as a "Cleaner Wax" type product instead, to remove dirts from the paint mostly, and to lay down a protective coat of Sealant.

If you had gotten the "Wolfgang Twins" with your PC Purchase, these will correct swirling, and will even remove up to about 2000 grit wetsanding, but you won't go much further beyond that "barrier" for effective paint correction.

Keep in mind the WG Twins offer no protective qualities for the paint. After their use, then products like the DG Sealants, or Collinite Wax Products may then be used to seal, protect.

Hope this helps. Mark

hernandez.art13
04-14-2013, 09:31 AM

I'm going to try this next cos of your post rmagnus

:)

Finemess
04-14-2013, 09:35 AM
I've been very pleased with this.

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant delivers a deep, wet, liquid shimmer unlike anything you can imagine. (http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html)

vet
04-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Welcome!

For what it's worth, I use DP Poliseal and top with DP Max Wax the next day. Neither stains trim, and application is easy. I use a PC 7424 XP. I use DP Wheel Glaze on the chrome wheels. Have been washing with ONR, and for touch up, I use Megs spray wax.

My vehicles are gargaed, so that probably makes a difference in how long the protection lasts. Also how much you use a car wash.

Lots of people on the forum know more about it than me because they've used more products than I have. Lots of good reviews on Collinite, Blackfire, and others, so I won't say 'this is the best', I haven't got to use them yet.