PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Wheel Care Question

Breakwater
04-13-2013, 05:13 PM
I bought a brand new truck (2013) a few weeks ago. I've hand washed it a few times, including the wheels. My question is: how do I properly care for the wheels? Do I need to polish them? Use wheel wax?

An even more basic question: how do I tell if my wheels are coated or not? I've read that you should not use polish on coated rims and don't want to mess them up. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

spiralout462
04-13-2013, 05:29 PM
They are probably clear coated. You can test with a little polish on a white towel. If it turns dark is bare metal, otherwise they are painted and can be treated like the body, generally. I would put a sealant or coating on them after they are cleaned. This will make them much easier to maintain.

Breakwater
04-13-2013, 06:28 PM
They are probably clear coated. You can test with a little polish on a white towel. If it turns dark is bare metal, otherwise they are painted and can be treated like the body, generally. I would put a sealant or coating on them after they are cleaned. This will make them much easier to maintain.

Thanks for the prompt response!!

Any suggestions on a good sealant?

mrGolfRider
04-13-2013, 06:32 PM
For the wheels I would do two coats of Collinite 845 for the cheap. You can go high end and get opti-coat/guard. If you wash them once every two weeks you can get away from needing to seal them. A clean car/truck will stay clean!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Breakwater
04-13-2013, 07:08 PM
For the wheels I would do two coats of Collinite 845 for the cheap. You can go high end and get opti-coat/guard. If you wash them once every two weeks you can get away from needing to seal them. A clean car/truck will stay clean!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AG Online