PDA

View Full Version : Simoniz

bcope
04-13-2013, 09:48 AM
I had a relative tell me their new car treated with simoniz an expensive ads on an it does not need waxed for 7 years.... anyone heard of this? Sounds like a salesman trying to make more $ to me? Any comments?

Sent from my MB886 using AG Online

AutowerxDetailing
04-13-2013, 10:22 AM
I've never used the Simonize GlassCoat but after reviewing the MSDS it looks like it may be a similar technology to OptiCoat or C.Quartz. It's active ingredient is listed as "Proprietary Glass/Ceramic compound" suspended in a carrier of hydrotreated heavy naptha (commonly a base ingredient used in traffic marking coatings).

If it is achieving a covalent bond with the paint surface it is possible that it could last as long as they say. The problem is... it is being prepped by the dealer. I'm guessing the paint is far from perfect and now all the defects are locked in under the Simonize coating.

For the price the dealership charges to simply apply the product they could have instead gone to an actual detailer for full decon, correction, coating application and have show-car perfect paint with long lasting protection.

spiralout462
04-13-2013, 10:25 AM
Simoniz GlassCoat advice - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/waxes-sealants-lsps/39687-simoniz-glasscoat-advice.html?highlight=simoniz)

This is a very interesting thread pertaining to your question.

RTexasF
04-13-2013, 10:26 AM
and another from this forum:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/45613-modern-marvels-tv-show-simonize-glasscoat-2.html

nissenc1337
05-13-2013, 07:45 PM
My car was detailed (before I knew a lick about keeping a car clean) at a Simoniz shop in Dallas over 8 months ago and it still beads after being washed every other week with Mothers Carnauba wash. I'm tempted to find a can of whatever they use because it's really proven to stand up to the test. I have a can of Mothers SynWax I want to compare it to but Simoniz is hard stuff!