PDA

View Full Version : body detailing methods

Richard44
04-12-2013, 11:47 PM
Hi Mike, I hope you receive my message every time I try to post a message it says I have not posted any. So I'll try this route. The detailing I have some are covered in your books others are not. 1) You briefly cover jewelling as an option step is this some thing you'd recommend for a daily driver? You mention al lot of times you won't much difference if you correctly completed the steps up to that point. plus the fact that you have to work surgically clean and its long and tedious. 2) I have a Malibu LTZ and it sits low like cars do today and the valances get scratched and chipped up, how easy is it to use the different paint chip repair kits offered? 3) Is the Meguiars correction kit work w/all da polishers? I have the Porter Cable 7424xp H D that you often use. Meguiars states that wool cutting pads are strictly rotary buffers. 4) What is the best way to clean windows? I've tried every method I know of and get the same results window full of streaks. Thanks Mike hope to see you in your Sept. Boot Camp Richard:xyxthumbs:

rmagnus
04-13-2013, 12:07 AM
Hi Mike, I hope you receive my message every time I try to post a message it says I have not posted any. So I'll try this route. The detailing I have some are covered in your books others are not. 1) You briefly cover jewelling as an option step is this some thing you'd recommend for a daily driver? You mention al lot of times you won't much difference if you correctly completed the steps up to that point. plus the fact that you have to work surgically clean and its long and tedious. 2) I have a Malibu LTZ and it sits low like cars do today and the valances get scratched and chipped up, how easy is it to use the different paint chip repair kits offered? 3) Is the Meguiars correction kit work w/all da polishers? I have the Porter Cable 7424xp H D that you often use. Meguiars states that wool cutting pads are strictly rotary buffers. 4) What is the best way to clean windows? I've tried every method I know of and get the same results window full of streaks. Thanks Mike hope to see you in your Sept. Boot Camp Richard:xyxthumbs:
Welcome to AG
Im not Mike but your Qs aren't difficult.
1. Jeweling is not for a daily driver but rather for a show car. You can use the search tool and get more info. Basically low speed rotary buffing with a super soft pad.
2. Most are easy to use. Perp work is the key to painting.
3. Meg's MF system will work for any DA. Wool pads are primarily for rotaries. The Flex 3401 has enough power for wool pads.
4. MF towels are the key to streak free windows. Try not to work in direct sunlight.

Richard44
04-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Thanks Ralph wasn't sure on the Megs, windows, and paint chip repairs. I was pretty sure jeweling is not for daily drivers.

rmagnus
04-13-2013, 11:33 PM
DrColor Chip does a pretty good job on paint chips and road rash. The real key is feather sanding the edges then fill in thin layers to slightly higher than the finish. Let the paint cure and finish off with 3000 sandpaper and a light coat of clear coat. Usually buffing with a wool pad or even a polishing foam pad will blend the clear for such a small area.

You can just order your paint from the vehicles paint code and do the same thing. There are some good articles here on scratch repair and key scratch repair. The fix is the same concept.

Megs makes a window cleaner and I find with mf towels it gets pretty clean. I usually start off with paper towels for the initial wipe then two wipes with mf and it's streak free and clean. The key is always using a clean side of the mf every time it touches glass. I still hate windows!

Rather than jeweling a DD use glaze on top of the wax. Glaze doesn't last long below or above wax but it will give you a few days of that extra pop. I use CC V07 after a waterless or rinsless wash. Hardly ever use deetail spray any more. ONRWW is great stuff. CG waterless is pretty darn good also both leave wax behind.

Good luck.

Richard44
04-14-2013, 01:03 AM
Thanks Ralph, I actually enjoy detailing cars where most people I run into don't and are willing to pay me to do it for them only problem w/that once word gets out business gets backlogged. Yes I still hate doing the windows myself. I think I'm going to forgo the jewelling Mike does mention in one of his videos that usually you don't notice much of a difference, I have glaze on hand so I'll go that route for now. I'll have to do some experimentation w/the paint chips after all its not a show car but you still like the vehicle to look nice. Richard