PDA

View Full Version : Hard / Medium / Soft - Paint ???

RedRaider
04-12-2013, 11:31 PM
I have a 2011 Ford F150 SCREW EB in beautiful Oxford White.

My delemia is what type of paint I have, as per this threads title, in choosing the proper Menzerna paint correction products or go with Meguiar's M105/M205 with the proper LC flat pads.

Any and all opinions are appreciated!

CM8 6MT
04-12-2013, 11:37 PM
Fords typically have semi-hard paints, but that doesnt mean yours does. Do a test spot and find out for yourself, paints with vary vehicle to vehicle regardless if they are the same year/make/model.

A test spot will answer every question you have about your paint than any one of us can, because stating that your paint is semi-hard is just speculation. Go with the least aggresive product and inspect, then go from there. Stay away from M105 unless you are an experienced detailer. Go with UC, 101 or FG400 from Menz.

RedRaider
04-12-2013, 11:39 PM
Thanks brother!

More opinions welcome.

Kokopelli
04-13-2013, 11:17 PM
Fords typically have semi-hard paints, but that doesnt mean yours does. Do a test spot and find out for yourself, paints with vary vehicle to vehicle regardless if they are the same year/make/model.

A test spot will answer every question you have about your paint than any one of us can, because stating that your paint is semi-hard is just speculation. Go with the least aggresive product and inspect, then go from there. Stay away from M105 unless you are an experienced detailer. Go with UC, 101 or FG400 from Menz.

I can understand UC as it is less abrasive than the other two but you mention M101 too. Isn't M101 as abrasive as M105, and remove as much in the inexperienced hands? Don't get me wrong, I did the same an got M101, but still would like to learn why this was the right decision :)

rmagnus
04-13-2013, 11:41 PM
I can understand UC as it is less abrasive than the other two but you mention M101 too. Isn't M101 as abrasive as M105, and remove as much in the inexperienced hands? Don't get me wrong, I did the same an got M101, but still would like to learn why this was the right decision :)

M101 is more aggressive than M105. I think the recommendation was made because it is easier to work with. WHite paint tends to be hard or harder than other colors from the same manufacturer, Ford in this case. All my white cars from Ford in the past were pretty hard but it's been about 7 or 8 years since I've owned a white car.

M205 with an orange pad can provide some light cut and worth a try. Ultimate Compound with a yellow pad is a little more aggressive. Then there is always M105 or M101. M105 is a compound you need to get to know. Not real user friendly right off the bat but it's pretty awesome.

Kokopelli
04-14-2013, 12:01 AM
Thanks for clearing things for me. I guess I've heard white paint was added titanium