PDA

View Full Version : which Metro to buy?

octane
04-12-2013, 08:25 PM
So I'm looking at buying a metro blower to dry my car, but I'm a bit mixed up as to which one I should buy...

the vac n blo was my choice at first, since it's also a vacuum, but I'm wondering about the other models...

does the motocycle air force work well on cars? does it heat the air like the master blaster?

does the master blaster still work on a 15 amps circut, like if you don't turn the heat up, or just one of the motors?

I already own a sidekick, but it's just doesn't cut it for large jobs...

what do you guys use and like?

thanks!

Pureshine
04-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Yes you can run the master blaster on a 15 amp if you only use one motor. I have the Master Blaster but I have 20 amp plug for all my tools to run on.

Bunky
04-13-2013, 05:54 AM
The heat from the exhaust comes from the motors so the temperature depends on how many motors are running.

The vac and blo has a similar exhaust force when you remove the endcap and filter as the Master Blaster with 1 motor on.

Most modern garages should have 20A circuits and most receptacles in kitchens should be wired for 20A. Some have report success with running the MB with both motors on a 15A circuit. Please note that there may be other devices running on the circuit depending on how the electrician did the wiring. It may include loads from the interior as well.

ScottB
04-13-2013, 09:59 AM
MasterBlaster ... buy it first, or you will want to upgrade later.

AutowerxDetailing
04-13-2013, 11:03 AM
MasterBlaster x10000000!!! I have only played with mine a few times now and I already love it. The dual motors are very powerful (so powerful that they blow my crappy 15a fuses). Even with only 1 motor going it works extremely well and can blow dry the car 100% dry with minimal effort.

Andr3wilson
04-13-2013, 11:05 AM
Before I did the electrical work in my garage. It was all 15amp.

I ran an extension cable into the house that was on a different 15 amp circuit. It ran fine!

AutowerxDetailing
04-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Before I did the electrical work in my garage. It was all 15amp.

I ran an extension cable into the house that was on a different 15 amp circuit. It ran fine!

The wiring in my house SUCKS. I tried that too and it still trips the breaker after a couple minutes. I think I have a 20a somewhere that goes to the laundry room and one plug in the garage... just have to figure out which one!

Andr3wilson
04-13-2013, 11:27 AM
The wiring in my house SUCKS. I tried that too and it still trips the breaker after a couple minutes. I think I have a 20a somewhere that goes to the laundry room and one plug in the garage... just have to figure out which one!

Same here! Anything high amp, POP, its quite routine to go and flip it back. I am getting that fixed today hopefully! Two new 20amp and a 240V in!

SR99
04-13-2013, 11:35 AM
I have the MB but I mostly just use 1 vac motor. It works just fine using 1, but there may be times where you want both.

The heat is quite a bit higher when using both vac motors, and the hose (which is normally very stiff) becomes quite soft from the heat and you have to watch so it doesn't kink as you move around.

Definitely wear hearing protection (not because the unit itself is that loud, but because the noise of the air deflecting off your car is extremely loud).

PS, an alternative use I recently found is for drying paint rollers. Normally I'd just wrap rollers in terry towel to dry, but the fluffy nap rollers dry pretty clumpy when you do that. Using the MB (put the roller on the handle and aim the air at an angle so the roller spins fast), it dries pretty quick (30 seconds or so) and the nap is just as fluffed up as when the roller was new. You do get a little wet as the spinning roller slings a mist of water for the first few seconds, but not a big deal.

octane
04-13-2013, 11:42 AM
don't have a 20 amp in the garage, don't even have a garage...

my hesitation is more if the vac and blo does as good a job at drying at the other 4hp models, or if the price of having the vacuum function is less drying capacity..

SR99
04-13-2013, 11:43 AM

If you are comfortable changing out breakers in your electrical panel, you might buy a new 15A breaker and change it out (be sure to get an exact replacement). Sometimes old breakers, especially if they have tripped many times, can be overly sensitive. Also, you probably already know this, but turn on 1 vac motor, wait a few seconds, then turn on the other. The peak surge is lower that way and may save from tripping the breaker (though it seems you are seeing it trip after a few minutes so may not be applicable).

AutowerxDetailing
04-13-2013, 11:55 AM
If you are comfortable changing out breakers in your electrical panel, you might buy a new 15A breaker and change it out (be sure to get an exact replacement). Sometimes old breakers, especially if they have tripped many times, can be overly sensitive. Also, you probably already know this, but turn on 1 vac motor, wait a few seconds, then turn on the other. The peak surge is lower that way and may save from tripping the breaker.

I might do that if this house wasn't a rental... I did figure out the "turn on one motor at a time trick" almost immediately. Very first thing I do: Two motors? That means TURBO POWER!!? Then... POP! Black out.