PDA

View Full Version : Taping and masking off when using Duragloss

Pages : [1] 2

silvermesa
04-12-2013, 07:18 PM
Do you tape or mask your vehicle when using duragloss 501,111 or 105?

The reason I ask is because after I used the above products for the first time, I noticed no splatter. Below is my truck that took me 3 hours to tape and cover up due to so much trim and the size of vehicle. I'm looking for the easiest way to manage this large task.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1832/medium/IMG_27453.JPG

rmagnus
04-12-2013, 07:54 PM
No.

I basically only tape when using a rotary or if there are vents. If you break down polish/compounds a little before going over a panel gap you will not get product in the gap.

That's just over kill on taping IMO. One could say better safe than sorry but my answer is still no.

CWallace
04-12-2013, 07:56 PM
wow!!!! and no!!!!

Anthony@zerboautoworks
04-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Looks like its being painted

Setec Astronomy
04-12-2013, 09:51 PM
I don't find the DG products to stain trim...that being said, there are so many variables of trim type and condition, you can really never say never.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-12-2013, 09:55 PM
I only tape when it's absolutely necessary. It's my least favorite part of detailing, with claying a close second. :laughing:

DetailedByPrecision
04-12-2013, 10:02 PM
I like to practice good practices. The idea behind masking off anything is to "prevent", and "protect" any surface matter. When doing paint correction, all you need to do is slip up once and instead of being paid, you will be the one paying to repair or replace the damaged area. While some may be better at avoiding crucial areas, not everyone is at the same skill level, or is equally as knowledgeable, which plays a huge role in the auto detailing industry.

I tend to stick with whatever works for me, and I will follow that concept. Whether or not anyone tapes off anything is up to them, but be prepared to shell out money if any problem arises from not doing so.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-12-2013, 10:31 PM
Looks like its being painted
LOL!!! I dunno, that made me laugh.

A.P.A.D.
04-12-2013, 10:37 PM
sure is an overkill with those products. you mask up every time you "wax" your truck?!

there should not be any dusting with the DG products so covering windows is a sure overkill. slow down when nearing trim and you wont need to tape anything.

if you do touch the badged with the pad, get a plastic razor blade, wrap it with a MF towel, spray DG Aqua Wax on it and clean up the mess, along with any cracks, jams, etc.

hats off to you being careful though!

Fast Eddie
04-12-2013, 11:16 PM
I never tape up anything when using 501,111 or 105. Heck, your truck is taped up better than most of the hack auto painters would do around my area.

truckbutt
04-13-2013, 06:47 AM
I like to practice good practices. The idea behind masking off anything is to "prevent", and "protect" any surface matter. When doing paint correction, all you need to do is slip up once and instead of being paid, you will be the one paying to repair or replace the damaged area. While some may be better at avoiding crucial areas, not everyone is at the same skill level, or is equally as knowledgeable, which plays a huge role in the auto detailing industry.

I tend to stick with whatever works for me, and I will follow that concept. Whether or not anyone tapes off anything is up to them, but be prepared to shell out money if any problem arises from not doing so.
:iagree: Whenever I have opted to not tape I have regretted it. For waxing no, but for any kind of polishing/correcting, always.

Klasse Act
04-13-2013, 07:01 AM
Since those DG products don't really do any correcting I'm surprised you didn't just do it by hand but since those products are so mild, I agree with everyone else here, no need to tape anything off with them.

I'm sure its too late now but with 3 hrs of taping, you should make it count and go get some Meg's UC and use that, then the 501 and finish with #111, would make that white GLEEEEM!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

silvermesa
04-13-2013, 07:49 AM
sure is an overkill with those products. you mask up every time you "wax" your truck?!
This is my 9 year old truck with near 200,000 miles. It did not get detailed at all for it's first 7 years.

I started reading the forum here at Autogeek and my previous details included different degrees of paint correction and the truck was masked off to prevent compound from getting on unwanted places. This detail is the first that included no paint correction since the paint is about as swirl free as I can get it now. Since I was used to taping, I just thought I had to tape it to prevent potential splatter from duragloss. As I found out, there seemed to be virtually no splatter. Due to this, I was hoping others skipped the taping so next time my job would include one less task.

FUNX650
04-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Do you tape or mask your vehicle when using duragloss 501,111 or 105?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1832/medium/IMG_27453.JPG

This may be considered a little too much enthusiastic taping/masking
for the Duragloss products you listed above...(Albeit: I've never known
of any actual production-shop-detailers to use Duragloss products.)

Even though I don't want to take the time to do so:
I usually tape/mask/cover-up everything on a vehicle that I don't want to "clean-up" later on...

NOTE:
There have been times when I wished I had done similarly to the garage walls, cabinets,
shelving, light fixtures, tools/tool-boxes, entertainment-electronics, various mammals, etc.

:)

Bob

hoyt66
04-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Nice! Best tape job ever!