PDA

View Full Version : Finally decided to use diminishing abrasive polishes more often...

Pages : [1] 2

WRAPT C5Z06
04-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Mostly for 1-steps and finishing. I've been put off by the fact that you have to break them down, and why do that when you have SMAT polishes that keep the same cut from start to finish? Well, DAT polishes finish much better!! Not that you can't get SMAT to finish good, especially on hard paint. But with DAT, there's not so much technique involved, IMO. I seem to work with soft paint more than hard. Sonax Perfect Finish and Menzerna PF2500 have been a God send! They break down faster than I thought, even with a DA. I still use Meg's compounds + MF pads for compounding, which I really like. I do want to give FG400 a try, though.

Ryry11
04-12-2013, 05:34 PM
I've been using fg400 over the last couple of weekends polishing out my gf's car. She picked it up used and the paint was a swirled mess. I literally thought it was going to be much more labor intensive than its turning out. I'm using the fg400 with a rupes 21 and a yellow polishing rupes pad, and all I can say is wow. I was blown away how fast it corrects and how well it finishes. She has a metallic brown colored car, so it's not dark, but it's not super light either. I was amazed. The other thing is the working time of fg400 is awesome. I do 3-4 passes, two with minimal pressure and one or two with no pressure at all and the finish is flawless. I definately recommend.

silverfox
04-12-2013, 05:35 PM
SMAT are best for speed and efficiency, but you have to know when to stop. DAT products take a bit longer to work as you have to allow them to break completely down. Once they turn clear your done.

I agree DAT will finish better in most cases. I really like the WG twins as I always get consistent results without having to figure out when to stop.

You made a good choice.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-12-2013, 06:33 PM
SMAT are best for speed and efficiency, but you have to know when to stop. DAT products take a bit longer to work as you have to allow them to break completely down. Once they turn clear your done.

I agree DAT will finish better in most cases. I really like the WG twins as I always get consistent results without having to figure out when to stop.

You made a good choice.
Thanks.

With SMAT, when finishing, you only want to only make 1-2 passes using slow speed. I think most will overwork SMAT when finishing. Even with doing that, I could not for the life of me, get rid of the marring on the last car I worked on. Looked like light holograms in the sun. Tried SPF and bam, perfect! I'm going to compare the cut and finish of SPF and PF2500 on a one step I'm doing tomorrow. Black Caddy CTS.

isai05
04-12-2013, 06:47 PM
Hi I'm new here can someone explain what SMAT & DAT stand for

Setec Astronomy
04-12-2013, 07:00 PM
Super Micro Abrasive Technology and Diminishing Abrasive Technology

cardaddy
04-12-2013, 07:44 PM
I hear ya' Mark.... that's why I went ahead and picked up all 4 of the Griot's polishes, (along with their stand alone sealant and the AIO sealant).

Some of the older Megs stuff is DAT too, like ScratchX, 80, 83 off the top of my head. I still use 83 here and there both by hand and machine and probably have used it longer than anything else EVER from Meg's. ;)

I know there is some old stuff from way back as well that I used to use by hand like 9 (and I know I'm missing a couple... rotary type perhaps).

rwright
04-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Mark, have you checked for filling with Sonax Perfect Finish? To be honest I'm not familiar with that product.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Mark that's great that you are trying out DAT products. While DAT does take longer to work IMO there is no equal in terms of finishing ability

WRAPT C5Z06
04-12-2013, 09:48 PM
Mark, have you checked for filling with Sonax Perfect Finish? To be honest I'm not familiar with that product.
Yep, it's fills somewhat. Most polishes do, IME. However, you don't need to do 5 eraser wipedowns to get the true results. It's good stuff. Rich, have you used any polishes where an IPA wipedown makes no difference?

Mark that's great that you are trying out DAT products. While DAT does take longer to work IMO there is no equal in terms of finishing ability
Hey Mike, aint that the truth!! :dblthumb2:

CM8 6MT
04-12-2013, 09:50 PM
Good stuff marc! Once you mastered SMAT products, using DAT is a peice of cake. They are almost "idiot" proof.

A true professional detailer uses a variety of different products, ive always said this. A perfect example of this is Larry from AMMO NYC. In one of his videos he works on a Porche using a Meguiars MF pad with D300, and finishes down with Sonax.

I plan on upgrading my current polish lineup when I come back from trainning. Ive mastered SMAT products, with a few DAT polishes on my shelf I will take my ability to the next level, an so will you.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-12-2013, 10:00 PM
A true professional detailer uses a variety of different products, ive always said this. A perfect example of this is Larry from AMMO NYC. In one of his videos he works on a Porche using a Meguiars MF pad with D300, and finishes down with Sonax. .
Aaron, this is the exact combo I used on my 350z. :props: :dblthumb2:

Dr Oldz
04-12-2013, 10:12 PM
You go Mark!!! Woohoo!!

Welcome aboard! :cheers:

Good to have both kinds in your arsenal TBH.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-12-2013, 10:27 PM
You go Mark!!! Woohoo!!

Welcome aboard! :cheers:

Good to have both kinds in your arsenal TBH.
My buddy, Jim!!!

Haven't got a chance to try the sample of PF4000 that you sent me. Thanks!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Hey Mike, aint that the truth!! :dblthumb2:

Wait till you get your hands on FG400 Mark. This stuff cuts really well and finishes like you wont believe. Work it 6-8 passes for a finish near LSP ready.