PDA

View Full Version : How do we know when to buff/compound?

hernandez.art13
04-12-2013, 02:04 AM
The way I have always done it was color sand (for orange peel), buff, polish, wash the car again then wax and present it to the customer.

If i was doing side jobs I would do the same minus the color sanding part.

I never knew about claying a car till I came here.

I'm going to do my dads. Grey 2005 Mazda 3.

I would say the most damage it has is just swirl marks, still feels relatively smooth too. So from what I've read I'll just need to clay it, polish and wax it?

Another question is, isn't claying and compounding almost the same? The only difference I see is buffing removes off some of the clear. Opposed to claying where it just removes the contaminants. The only way I see this being better is because i'll be using the least abrasive method for the same results?

I'm going to try the baggy trick too, to see how it feels and to show off a little 🙈🙉🙊

Thanks,

andy2485
04-12-2013, 02:10 AM
you'll always get the best results when claying before ANY buffing.

claying and compounding is not the same.
Compounding is using a cutting compound and wool pad to "cut" the CC.

I dont know what your car needs, if they are minor swirls, a compound like Meguiars Ultimate Compound with an orange pad may do the trick, generally if that does not work you may need a wool pad, and a cutting compound.

hernandez.art13
04-12-2013, 03:16 AM
Well i have this Kit so I want to work with what I have. (If Possible)

I'm going to definitely clay then!

And how do i know if i should use the light abrasive swirl remover SSR1 or the medium super swirl remover SSR2.5 first?

Do I test the spot? And if I do use the SSR2.5 am I going to have to go to the SSR1 next or can I just wax after the SSR2.5

andy2485
04-12-2013, 03:45 AM
always use the least abrasive compound first, if the ssr2 work then you can go ahead and wax

hernandez.art13
04-12-2013, 03:57 AM
So andy...what you are saying is if the SSR2 takes of the swirls go ahead and wax after?

HardLineDetail
04-12-2013, 05:50 AM
If the SSR2 leaves you with the results you wanted, then go ahead and wax or seal the paint.

thebamboo23
04-12-2013, 09:12 AM
Wash, clay, compound, polish, glaze, sealant, wax

hernandez.art13
04-12-2013, 04:37 PM
hey the bamboo could you please post what clay, compound, polish, glaze sealant, wax you use?

All i know is 3M compound, 3M polish and Meguiars Wax.

😧

thebamboo23
04-12-2013, 06:00 PM
Chemical Guys, Meguiars, Griot Garage, Adams, Auto Finese, Sonax, BlackFire, Pinaccale, Wolfgang, etc

they all carry everything you need to correct a car.. My advice so you learn instead of getting spoon fed
1) Find out what the proper process to correct a car
2) search what every step of the process is
3) search what products are used to perform the task
4) the technique to actually perform the task

Ill start you off with this

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/flowchart.jpg

1) A- Wash
-2 Buck Wash Method with Grit Guards
-What are Grit Guards?
-What wash media to use?
B-How to dry
-what MF towels
-Other options

so on and so forth :dblthumb2:

hernandez.art13
04-12-2013, 07:53 PM
I think I'm somewhat established, tried the 2 bucket method and loved it. Still need grit guards though. The next thing I'm going to try is the Dry Wiper Blade.

Everything else I pretty much have down.

(Dont think I'm ready for a leaf blower yet)

rmagnus
04-12-2013, 08:01 PM
I think I'm somewhat established, tried the 2 bucket method and loved it. Still need grit guards though. The next thing I'm going to try is the Dry Wiper Blade.

Everything else I pretty much have down.

(Dont think I'm ready for a leaf blower yet)

Skip the blade get a leaf blower and waffle weave MF towels. 3M makes good stuff but they seem to be sued more in body shop environments than detailing. Meguiars make a full line up of great products. Go get yourself 2 grit grads right away it's really necessary for the 2 bucket wash method.

jjj
04-12-2013, 08:04 PM
I tried the leaf blower not to long ago and it's a gem!!!!!! Usually use 3 mf ww and was cut to 1 that had plenty of drying power left after leaf blower from rigid vac.

hernandez.art13
04-12-2013, 10:25 PM
After my first official sale. "Told I'm crazy why the hell are you buying a leaf blower?" I can always say "I am upgrading my business"